Rudi Johnson robbed by... NFL player

RUDI’S CRAZY DAY IN DETROIT

Posted by Mike Florio on September 2, 2008, 9:17 p.m. EDT

A strange thing happened to running back Rudi Johnson when he visited with the Detroit Lions on Monday.

Someone stole his stuff.

Seriously.

Specifically, and as we’re told by a reliable source (i.e., not the person who told Mort that Joey Harrington had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Monday, or the person who told John Clayton that Todd Bouman had agreed to terms with the Ravens on Tuesday), Johnson left his bags outside CEO Matt Millen’s office while he met with team officials and, ultimately, worked out a deal with the team.

So when Johnson came back to get his bags, they were nowhere to be found. Johnson and Millen were stumped.

Enter the eye in the sky.

The team checked the videotapes generated by the team’s in-house surveillance system, and they quickly identified the culprit.

So who might it have been? None other than Tatum Bell, who lost his gig with the Lions after Rudi arrived.

Per the source, Bell took the bags to the house of a female acquaintance. When confronted on the matter, Bell offered up some cockamamie story that he thought the bags belonged to someone he knew. The girl, however, said that she hadn’t seen Bell in several months and he showed up out of the blue and asked her to keep the bags for a while.

Johnson has retrieved the bags, and it’s our understanding that charges won’t be pressed.

Tatum apparently didn’t know that he was being monitored.

Fortunately, the displaced running back wasn’t Najeh Davenport.

That has got to be the most bizarre/hysterical story I've ever heard.

On a side note, Tatum Bell was released and I've heard of him.....

Excellent Najeh Davenport reference. He wouldn't have stolen the bags, course he may have done much worse.

I'm a little perplexed on one point, tho.

Would Najeh have taken a sh-- in Rudi Johnson's bag or on Matt Millen's desk? Or both?

And the final question, would Millen even realize it, or might he just confuse the smell for one of his 1st round draft choices?

Strange. This story would seem to suggest the opposite as far as Bell's reaction to johnson "taking" his job.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3566019

The key phrase:

"When we talked, he didn't know it was going to be him that was going, but Tatum knows this is a business," Johnson said. "He told me all about the city, the players, the coaching staff and even details like practice times and how things are run here."

Maybe, IF the PFT story is true (which is always in question), Bell's attitude changed after Millen told him he was gone?

Didn't a Yankee bench warmer get caught stealing Derek Jeter's glove a few years ago to sell for profit???

That's a dirty move. I could see stealing a bat, or a jersey, but a guy's glove is sacred...It takes seasons to get a glove broken in to where it feels "right"...

I guess some people can't help themselves.

Didn't a Yankee bench warmer get caught stealing Derek Jeter's glove a few years ago to sell for profit???

That's a dirty move. I could see stealing a bat, or a jersey, but a guy's glove is sacred...It takes seasons to get a glove broken in to where it feels "right"...

That would be Juan Rivera, now plays for the Angels. He was released the next day.

To a die-hard baseball player, everything is sacred - if absolutely anything is out of place the player will have a horrible outing and the team will tank. Haven't you ever seen Major League? :thumbsup: