When is the point of no return for Evans?

JK2000

On the open Market, Lee Evans will easily get a contract surpassing Berrian. He'd get a deal approaching that of Andre Johnson. (6 yrs, 60 million). I'd rather slightly overpay to keep a player like Evans than see him walk.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true

I agree. Now the question is.....do you think Evans would take 60 mil (including a bonus of at least 15 million)? I ask because if the answer is yes, he should be signed as we speak.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Now the question is.....do you think Evans would take 60 mil (including a bonus of at least 15 million)? I ask because if the answer is yes, he should be signed as we speak.

Evans should take 60 mil. Just personally, i think 7 yrs, 50-55 mil with 15-18 guaranteed will keep Evans in Buffalo. I also think that 6 years, 55-60 mil, 25 guaranteed will keep Peters here. If the Bills are serious about winning, both of these contracts should be paid out before FA hits next march.

If we need ot let Crowell and Greer go to do it, so be it. McKelvin/Youboty/Corner can easily replace greer, and we can draft a LB early on next year. See, we dont even need a 1st round CB to replace Greer. We took care of that this year! <_<

I would hope he would take that if offered.

I hope so. Unlike Clements, Evans has indicated that he wants to re-sign/stay here.

I heard Nate on Sirius a few months ago, and he sounded as if he never had any plans to stay in Buffalo. Honestly, that took a lot of guts. An injury during his final year (not the UFA season because franchise contracts are guaranteed) would have cost him untold millions.

Maybe a guy like Evans is more conservative. I know I would be, and couldn't say no to that kind of cash. I don't know what the delay is, but when coupled with the Peters situation, it doesn't look good.

On the open Market, Lee Evans will easily get a contract surpassing Berrian. He'd get a deal approaching that of Andre Johnson. (6 yrs, 60 million). I'd rather slightly overpay to keep a player like Evans than see him walk.

As you mentioned earlier, the Bills need to keep their stars, and Lee is one of them. I'd rather see them keep stars like Evans, and let nice, but replaceable players like Greer and Crowell go.

Raimus, for once you and I agree.

Marv said that it's important to sign your own. He obviously learned a lot from Polian, who has retained his very good to elite talent in Manning, Freeney, Sanders, Wayne, Clark, and Harrison while jettisoning the likes of Jason David, Nick Harper, Ryan Lilja, and Larry Tripplett.

It just seems the front office is different than when Levy was GM. I can't put my finger on it, but what kind of offer could the Bills have offered Evans that's taken 6 months? Either way, he'll get significant attention in UFA, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got Javon Walker money should he go that route. Let's hope he doesn't.

Evans should take 60 mil. Just personally, i think 7 yrs, 50-55 mil with 15-18 guaranteed will keep Evans in Buffalo. I also think that 6 years, 55-60 mil, 25 guaranteed will keep Peters here. If the Bills are serious about winning, both of these contracts should be paid out before FA hits next march.

If we need ot let Crowell and Greer go to do it, so be it. McKelvin/Youboty/Corner can easily replace greer, and we can draft a LB early on next year. See, we dont even need a 1st round CB to replace Greer. We took care of that this year! :unsure:

Sounds good to me!

As for the 1st round corner in 08, I strongly doubt it as well. It will be a safety. <_<:lol:

Raimus, for once you and I agree.

Marv said that it's important to sign your own. He obviously learned a lot from Polian, who has retained his very good to elite talent in Manning, Freeney, Sanders, Wayne, Clark, and Harrison while jettisoning the likes of Jason David, Nick Harper, Ryan Lilja, and Larry Tripplett.

It just seems the front office is different than when Levy was GM. I can't put my finger on it, but what kind of offer could the Bills have offered Evans that's taken 6 months? Either way, he'll get significant attention in UFA, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got Javon Walker money should he go that route. Let's hope he doesn't.

It is important to sign your own, and i like the polian method. He's said before (i dont have a link), that the most important positions in his mind to the team are QB, WR, LT, DE, and S. Everyone else is replaceable. His keys are to spend the big bucks to keep the stars on your team at those positions, lock up your younger players early, and let the good but replaceable players walk, which is why he's let their LBs, CBs, and even Edge James walk for huge paydays after contract #1.

The Bills have shown good promise in locking up younger players for cheap (butler, williams, peters 2 yrs ago). They've shown a willingness to re-sign DEs and pay them, and they obviously value the S position. They need to devote their resources to keep the other pieces, WR and LT. Crowell and Greer can be replaced without missing a step. Peters and Evans cannot. (i agree peters is underpaid, but i strongly disagree with his bonehead negotiating tactics)