Donte Whitner: "Emerging AFC Star"

Lori

Tragedy, loss, success help Whitner mature on, off field

Chad Johnson's teammates kneeled in prayer. The Cincinnati Bengals receiver writhed delicately on the cold Ralph Wilson Stadium turf. He was in too much pain to thrash.

His problem? He made a mistake. He made himself vulnerable in Donte Whitner's neighborhood.

Johnson, arms out, dove for a sinking pass in the closing minutes of a Nov. 4, 2007 loss to the Buffalo Bills. A torpedo screamed for Johnson's ribcage. Whitner, the Bills' bone-jolting strong safety, blasted him.

You can't spell "detonate" without the D, O, N, T or E.

"When a guy gets that football in his hands, you get an opportunity to do something we can't do in public," Whitner said. "If we did, then we'd all be locked up. I try to be as violent and as fast as possible. I've always liked it. It's an adrenaline thing."

Good read from new TBD fave Tim Graham ...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

clearly he hasn't read the posts here.

we need to draft linemen with the first 3 picks every year, just like all the superbowl winners do.

anyhow, i think we lead the nfl in picks and kicks for TDs this season, which could mean playoffs.

clearly he hasn't read the posts here.

we need to draft linemen with the first 3 picks every year, just like all the superbowl winners do.

anyhow, i think we lead the nfl in picks and kicks for TDs this season, which could mean playoffs.

Hopefully we can keep a high turnover differential.

Great article! The thump he put on that punk Johnson last year was awesome. Looking forward to seeing him punish more receivers in 08'. He is firing on all cylinders. It will be exciting to watch our secondary this year which will truly be able to focus on pass coverage versus supplementing the run defense as in the past.

I do believe my favorite part was, "You can't spell "detonate" without the D, O, N, T or E."

That needs to be on a shirt yesterday...

Yeah, I'm assuming it shows up on a sign at the Ralph sometime soon.

DetONaTE

Tim, you'd better hurry up and trademark that ... :devil:

I really think that Whitner is the heart and soul of this Defense. Certainly the secondary. The guy is a natural leader and you can tell by the way he carries himself on and off the field that he loves football and loves winning. Whitner, McGee Simpson and company are going to be a feared secondary this year. When you add guys like Mitchell and Stroud to the core of Whitner, Simpson, McGee, Crowell, Posluszny, Schobel and Kelsey... Watch out! I really think we are going to have a top 10 if not better defense. We know Bobby April will produce in the special teams area. We could have top 10 in two of the three phases of the game. That mixed with a good run game and a heady quarterback who doesnt make mistakes.... Just look at the 2000 Ravens. They won a super bowl that way... Just saying...

Great article! The thump he put on that punk Johnson last year was awesome. Looking forward to seeing him punish more receivers in 08'. He is firing on all cylinders. It will be exciting to watch our secondary this year which will truly be able to focus on pass coverage versus supplementing the run defense as in the past.

The stadium was pumped when he jacked up ocho sucko. Whitner was a suprise pick by buffalo bit he haas lived up to the billing of that spot.

Thanks Lori! :devil: That might be the best article ever linked on this board!

My favorite part:

"He's a tough matchup," Dolphins receiver Derek Hagan said. "He's a young guy, but he comes to play. When you see a small safety you expect to run right through him, but he's got a lot of power and he brings it.

"Whenever I'm on the field I'm watching out for the safeties, but he's one of those guys that you know, when you watch film, he'll come up and hit you. He's made his mark on being physical. He's not afraid to hit."

Despite the objections from some of the fans here, Whitner was a great pick. Really turning into one of my favorite players.

Huff who? :devil:

Yeah, I'm assuming it shows up on a sign at the Ralph sometime soon.

DetONaTE

Tim, you'd better hurry up and trademark that ... :lol:

The Bills should make T-Shirts with that on it and a picture of Donte laying out a huge hit.

new nickname for whitner. dante the detonator! thats kinda cheesy lol

How about after every big hit screaming: "You just got Detonated!!"

God I can't wait til Sunday!!! Go Bills!!

donte is an above average player. he is nowhere near as good as huuf of LA however =the other safety taken in that draft. i dont know what ot think of donte -- especially aft he refused to tackle jacobs on the bog TD run at home last season. i watched that play over and over. done had the angle and jacobs ran right past him. donte looked scared to challenge jacobs -- a hulking freight train running a 4.5. 40. but still, i'm miffed. we shall see, he sure talks a big game. and his salaryh is HUGE! HE MAKES way too MUCH MONEY FOR HIS VALUE RIGHT NOW.

donte is an above average player. he is nowhere near as good as huuf of LA however =the other safety taken in that draft. i dont know what ot think of donte -- especially aft he refused to tackle jacobs on the bog TD run at home last season. i watched that play over and over. done had the angle and jacobs ran right past him. donte looked scared to challenge jacobs -- a hulking freight train running a 4.5. 40. but still, i'm miffed. we shall see, he sure talks a big game. and his salaryh is HUGE! HE MAKES way too MUCH MONEY FOR HIS VALUE RIGHT NOW.

:devil:

2006 Draft Grade

Grade given on 5/1/06: C-

Grade given on 7/3/07: A

Good Moves: Safety Donte Whitner, chosen No. 8 overall, will be a solid player for the Bills for years to come. Cornerback Ashton Youboty, a fellow Ohio State alumnus, will able to step in for Nate Clements, should the disgruntled defensive back be traded to a different team. I was also a fan of two of Buffalo's second-day selections: safety Ko Simpson, who had the talent to be drafted in the second round; and defensive tackle Kyle Williams.

Bad Moves: Although Whitner has loads of talent, I have a problem with how general manager Marv Levy approached his first pick. First of all, he passed on Matt Leinart, the premier quarterback in the 2006 Draft. :devil: Secondly, Levy could have secured Whitner around the middle of the first round. He should have traded down. It seems to me that the Bills had their eyes set on Michael Huff and simply panicked when the Texas safety was taken off the board.

While the Whitner decision was bad, Buffalo had a much worse blunder later in the opening round. The team dealt one of its third-round selections to move up to No. 26. The Bills chose defensive tackle John McCargo at the spot, even though they could have obtained him in the second round. Even if McCargo turns out to be a solid player, Buffalo surrendered a draft choice for no apparent reason.

I was not a fan of any of Buffalo's selections after Williams. The organization also failed to address the offensive tackle position.

Kiper's view.

Buffalo Bills: GRADE: C

While it was a reach to take safety Donte Whitner with the eighth pick, he is a great prospect and I like him. Giving up a third-round pick to get DT John McCargo in the first round was a reach. He's a solid player but not an elite one. Cornerback Ashton Youboty lasted longer than I thought but is a very good pick. Safety Ko Simpson and defensive tackle Kyle Williams are solid. Overall, the Bills reached on both of their first-round picks but drafted players who will help the team.

I like reading Tim Graham's stuff. Finally we're getting some consistent love from ESPN. And he ACTUALLY knows what he's talking about.

I couldn't help but notice the picture, CJ getting hammered by Whitner, that was awesome. I jumped out of my seat when that happened. I was standing there in the stadium and I though CJ had just died.

Great read on on fav player.