NFL Season should begin today

Marv Levy

I remember in my college years in the mid 90's, it was always the start of the season on Labor Day Weekend. You would start your classes on a Wednesday, have Friday and Saturday to party, Sunday was kickoff and Monday was the hangover holiday. Tuesday, you would go back to classes, recalling what a blurred, but fun weekend it was. We used to have a pig roast at our Fraternity house on Sunday and watch as many games that were on. I really missed that tradition. :thumbsup:

Now its all corporate greed and sponsors and $$$ so they can have it start next Thursday. I know its been like that for awhile now, but just wanted to bring it up because the other way was the best. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

LETS GO BUFFALO!!

I remember in my college years in the mid 90's, it was always the start of the season on Labor Day Weekend. You would start your classes on a Wednesday, have Friday and Saturday to party, Sunday was kickoff and Monday was the hangover holiday. Tuesday, you would go back to classes, recalling what a blurred, but fun weekend it was. We used to have a pig roast at our Fraternity house on Sunday and watch as many games that were on. I really missed that tradition. :thumbsup:

Now its all corporate greed and sponsors and $$$ so they can have it start next Thursday. I know its been like that for awhile now, but just wanted to bring it up because the other way was the best. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

LETS GO BUFFALO!!

actually they moved week 1 to the week after labor day weekend before they started having games on Thursday nights because they thought they were losing viewers and attendance at the games due to the holiday weekend

The reason they moved the game was TV ratings not attendees. They do not care about no shows as long as people pay as a number of teams have season ticket holders who some years do not attend but keep season tickets to preserve seats (i.e. Deadskins).

The reason they moved the game was TV ratings not attendees.

That's right...Labor Day weekend is one of the worst TV weekends of the year...not many want to spend the last weekend of the summer cooped indoors, so the NFL vowed several years ago not to start the season Labor Day weekend...which also leads to the Super Bowl being played in February. :thumbsup:

That's right...Labor Day weekend is one of the worst TV weekends of the year...not many want to spend the last weekend of the summer cooped indoors, so the NFL vowed several years ago not to start the season Labor Day weekend...which also leads to the Super Bowl being played in February. :thumbsup:

No it doesn't, the Super Bowl is played in February because of the NFL cancelling its games the weekend after September 11th, and playing them after the original schedule was completed.

No it doesn't, the Super Bowl is played in February because of the NFL cancelling its games the weekend after September 11th, and playing them after the original schedule was completed.

The NFL moved the opening weekend to the week after Labor Day in 2001. But there was no bye week between the Conference Championship and the SB that year, so with the switching of the games, it pushed the SB to February. In 2003 they put the bye week back in case something happened again, needing to move games around.

In 2003 they put the bye week back in case something happened again, needing to move games around.

That's only a fraction of the reason: the Super Bowl bye week was primarily installed, permanately BTW, to insure the Super Bowl is played in February, the big TV ratings sweeps month.

Installing the bye week actually has very little with a catastrophy contingency plan...the NFL is simply going after the biggest TV money available. Surpised?

The very first TBD home-opener tailgate was a Sunday night game on Labor Day weekend. That was the absolute perfect schedule for us -- eat-drink-and-be-merry all day long before heading into the stadium, and most of us had Monday off.

Perfect.