Fins trade McCown

I disagree. I think they were going to cut Beck because he sucks but didn't find any takers for him, but since there was a taker for McCown, they decided to get something for another guy who sucks, and will try and develop Beck. McCown is what he is at this stage of his career.

I disagree. I think they were going to cut Beck because he sucks but didn't find any takers for him, but since there was a taker for McCown, they decided to get something for another guy who sucks, and will try and develop Beck. McCown is what he is at this stage of his career.

Pennington is their starter. Beck was drafted just last year. Why keep McCown, another veteran QB around when you can have Beck and Henne develop behind Pennington? Its not like they need two veterans because they're in a playoff race or anything.

Why would someone trade for a 9 fingered 3rd string QB?

Pennington is their starter. Beck was drafted just last year. Why keep McCown, another veteran QB around when you can have Beck and Henne develop behind Pennington? Its not like they need two veterans because they're in a playoff race or anything.

I'd rather have a veteran who has started games backing-up than a rookie. But since you can only keep 3 of them, if you can get a draft pick for one, you do it.

Even if it was a 7th round pick, that's a good deal for the Phins, they were going to cut him tomorrow anyway.

I agree. I don't think they would've kept him either.

Beck has only had one season so far. They are still going to try to make a starter out of him. I don't think teams cut second round draft picks at QB after one year.

BTW, The Poorpisses could have had TE but passed him over for Beck! (In my best Nelson) Ha! Ha! :thumbsup:

Beck has only had one season so far. They are still going to try to make a starter out of him. I don't think teams cut second round draft picks at QB after one year.

The difference is that the Phins inherited Beck. They chose to draft Henne and sign McCown and Pennington.

I'd rather have a veteran who has started games backing-up than a rookie. But since you can only keep 3 of them, if you can get a draft pick for one, you do it.

Beck isn't a rookie.

Try being a GM and go cut your 2nd round QB after only a few starts, you'll get eaten alive by the fans and media.

Beck isn't a rookie.

I know. Henne is.

Try being a GM and go cut your 2nd round QB after only a few starts, you'll get eaten alive by the fans and media.

More than, say, trading your best/only Pro Bowl player?

I think it's way to early to throw in the towel on Beck. Look at the team and coaching they had last year. He's a very young guy who might do quite well in due time.

The problem is that Beck is already 27. He's a Mormon and had to do the BYU mission thing. He doesn't really have but so much time to "develop". The Fins threw away a 2nd round pick on the guy. I think it's hillarious that they fell for the hype over Beck and drafted him instead of taking Quinn with their first pick.

The problem is that Beck is already 27. He's a Mormon and had to do the BYU mission thing. He doesn't really have but so much time to "develop". The Fins threw away a 2nd round pick on the guy. I think it's hillarious that they fell for the hype over Beck and drafted him instead of taking Quinn with their first pick.

Not only did they pass on Quinn they drafted Beck while TE was still on the board. :oops: Bring back the old Poorpiss regime, please, please, please!!

or taking Edwards with their 3rd round pick ahead of us.