Sarah Palin

Hmm because they focused on guys who might actually be qualified?

She was on the short list...it was no secret. Maybe they figured McCain surely not would be so arrogant (or stupid) to choose someone who is currently under investigation in her own state for questionable hiring/firing and tampering with government employees? Of course in the great state of Alaska, this is a small crime compared to all the rest of the corruption there.

Meaning no disrespect to your wife, but for which channel is she a political analyst? I must have missed her.

My wife is an independent who voted for Kerry last time and was going to vote for Hillary, and is now voting McCain, even though she is staunchly pro choice...exactly the kind of person McCain/Obama are targeting. I'd say her feedback carries more weight than most on this board in regards to the election, its the women like her who are deciding the fate of the election instead of "analysts" that are simply reporting it. Instead of ignoring her and those like her as you and the Dems have been doing, maybe you should listen to them instead of telling them how they'll vote.

Also, if you've been reading about the investigation, you'd know that Palin and her team are fully cooperating and its likely to turn out in her favor as another example of her going after corruption. If that wasn't the case, I doubt McCain after seriously vetting her would have picked her, don't you think?

Obama's team was completely unprepared for ANY woman VP candidate, when most knew it was a huge possibility with at least 4 women on the list that were discussed constantly in the media. That shows arrogance and laziness on Obama's part.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife is an independent who voted for Kerry last time and was going to vote for Hillary, and is now voting McCain, even though she is staunchly pro choice...exactly the kind of person McCain/Obama are targeting. I'd say her feedback carries more weight than most on this board in regards to the election, its the women like her who are deciding the fate of the election instead of "analysts" that are simply reporting it. Instead of ignoring her and those like her as you and the Dems have been doing, maybe you should listen to them instead of telling them how they'll vote.

Also, if you've been reading about the investigation, you'd know that Palin and her team are fully cooperating and its likely to turn out in her favor as another example of her going after corruption. If that wasn't the case, I doubt McCain after seriously vetting her would have picked her, don't you think?

Obama's team was completely unprepared for ANY woman VP candidate, when most knew it was a huge possibility with at least 4 women on the list that were discussed constantly in the media. That shows arrogance and laziness on Obama's part.

I would agree with your last sentence and regard to the investigation, she may have been wrong, but if the guy turns out to be smuck and it sounds like he might be, she will be fine.

If the choice issue is the only thing she is concerned about then I say go with it, but if there are a lot other issues she has a problem with Pailin and McCain and still voting for them because of Pailin's gender then I can't do anything with that mentality. It is kind of like voting a President because he looks cute or you could sit down and have a beer with him. I know people who vote that way.

P.S. Obama is better looking than McCain, but I am not sure I would want to have a beer with him. I would be scared if McCain got intoxicated around me... no telling what might come out!

How can somebody say that they support Hillary and then vote for McCain... Obama is CLOSER to Hillary than McCain is.

What is the rationale?

I would agree with your last sentence and regard to the investigation, she may have been wrong, but if the guy turns out to be smuck and it sounds like he might be, she will be fine.

If the choice issue is the only thing she is concerned about then I say go with it, but if there are a lot other issues she has a problem with Pailin and McCain and still voting for them because of Pailin's gender then I can't do anything with that mentality. It is kind of like voting a President because he looks cute or you could sit down and have a beer with him. I know people who vote that way.

P.S. Obama is better looking than McCain, but I am not sure I would want to have a beer with him. I would be scared if McCain got intoxicated around me... no telling what might come out!

I appreciate the tone of your email, thank you for having a discussion.

Someone told my wife yesterday that she won't vote for McCain because he looks old and scary. She said to look at pictures from when he was young...he was a stud.

My wife was for Hillary but was interested in Obama because she wasn't in agreement with everything Hillary stood for. But then she watched him make one speech (I wish I could remember which one) and just kept saying "this guy is promising the moon, nobody can deliver on all of this"...and as she heard more from him she felt like he was just telling people what they wanted to hear, and didn't like all the high rhetoric. The more she watched him, the more she felt that he was arrogant and had no substance, so she was leaning towards McCain because she felt he at least had integrity and was making realistic promises, and felt he would be strong on the Iraq War and national security, which is important to us living in NYC.

She doesn't agree with Palin on abortion, but she respects the fact that she could have terminated her child after learning about the DS but chose to go through with it. She has respect for that and said many women will as well (I don't know if I buy that, but I'm not going to lie and pretend that I understand women)

In the end, she feels McCain can be trusted more than Obama, and feels she can relate to Palin being a mom and that she will understand the common American better than any of the other 3. I can't say that Palin being a woman didn't have anything to do with it, but I can understand wanting to break the glass ceiling, just as blacks want to do .

Simple reasons, but that's how most people vote.

Here is a link any self-respecting person will likely understand. Also the investigation is an overzealous legislature wanting pay back. The state trooper Tassered a 11-year old boy and beat a woman within a inch of her life. Palin had staffing and budge problems with the Commish of safety. She wanted to reassign him to be the Commish of the AK board of Alcohol and he refused the move. Palin promptly fired him ass. Case closed.

http://www.redstate.com/diaries/redstate/2...vs-barack-obam/

I appreciate the tone of your email, thank you for having a discussion.

Someone told my wife yesterday that she won't vote for McCain because he looks old and scary. She said to look at pictures from when he was young...he was a stud.

My wife was for Hillary but was interested in Obama because she wasn't in agreement with everything Hillary stood for. But then she watched him make one speech (I wish I could remember which one) and just kept saying "this guy is promising the moon, nobody can deliver on all of this"...and as she heard more from him she felt like he was just telling people what they wanted to hear, and didn't like all the high rhetoric. The more she watched him, the more she felt that he was arrogant and had no substance, so she was leaning towards McCain because she felt he at least had integrity and was making realistic promises, and felt he would be strong on the Iraq War and national security, which is important to us living in NYC.

She doesn't agree with Palin on abortion, but she respects the fact that she could have terminated her child after learning about the DS but chose to go through with it. She has respect for that and said many women will as well (I don't know if I buy that, but I'm not going to lie and pretend that I understand women)

In the end, she feels McCain can be trusted more than Obama, and feels she can relate to Palin being a mom and that she will understand the common American better than any of the other 3. I can't say that Palin being a woman didn't have anything to do with it, but I can understand wanting to break the glass ceiling, just as blacks want to do .

Simple reasons, but that's how most people vote.

Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.

We are living the nightmare with Bush and hence McCain.

Even if Obama doesn't deliver... It is still a daydream.

I will take the daydream for 1000 Alex.

Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.

We are living the nightmare with Bush and hence McCain.

Even if Obama doesn't deliver... It is still a daydream.

I will take the daydream for 1000 Alex.

Given the choice, I have to agree. Don't trust McCain, not sure about Obama. But an overused definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The cliche BushMcSame has some resonance with me and not just about Iraq. It is the economy stupid and the Republicans have no clue how to fix it. Start with balancing the budget and go from the there. At least Obama is paying that lip service.

How can somebody say that they support Hillary and then vote for McCain... Obama is CLOSER to Hillary than McCain is.

What is the rationale?

My wife is exactly like his... Pro Hillary who may now go for McCain. As I said to someone else, if I had to explain that, I'd go nuts.

Given the choice, I have to agree. Don't trust McCain, not sure about Obama. But an overused definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The cliche BushMcSame has some resonance with me and not just about Iraq. It is the economy stupid and the Republicans have no clue how to fix it. Start with balancing the budget and go from the there. At least Obama is paying that lip service.

Exactly.

Always shoot for the moon!... No matter how daunting it seems. It is all about helping others and being positive. I think it is how you are raised. When I was a child, no matter how crazy an idea my siblings or myself had... My parents were there to say: "When do we start, let's make plans." I think of Will Smith (yes, the actor/rapper) he said the same thing... Building castles in the sky... Had the same positive experience with his parents... When do we start, let's make the plans.

Castles In The Sky

When I hear such negativity... I think how miserable one's parents/guardians must have been!

If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

:worthy:

I hear you... It is just bizzare. Like I said... Obama is closer to Hillary's POV's. No?

These issues have to be personal in nature.

Interesting, however, my wife, a former Republican had just the opposite reaction to her and the abortion issue, the religious stuff and her lack of experience in "no where" (her words) Alaska with McCain's health issues has really turned her towards Obama. I am not sold yet on Obama, but she countered vociferously to Palin helping McCain stating that she doesn't think that talking tough, carrying a gun, and naming her kids weird names in anyway relates to her conservative catholic upbringing??? OK, just didn't expect the strong reaction from her.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Sounds like Obama is going to stay away from a direct attacks on her, which is probably smart. Let the talking heads do that for him. They will, trust me they always manage to and if she doesn't handle it well, the feeding frenzy will begin, a la Dan Quayle.

Interesting, however, my wife, a former Republican had just the opposite reaction to her and the abortion issue, the religious stuff and her lack of experience in "no where" (her words) Alaska with McCain's health issues has really turned her towards Obama. I am not sold yet on Obama, but she countered vociferously to Palin helping McCain stating that she doesn't think that talking tough, carrying a gun, and naming her kids weird names in anyway relates to her conservative catholic upbringing??? OK, just didn't expect the strong reaction from her.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out. Sounds like Obama is going to stay away from a direct attacks on her, which is probably smart. Let the talking heads do that for him. They will, trust me they always manage to and if she doesn't handle it well, the feeding frenzy will begin, a la Dan Quayle.

Ya... My wife was getting her hair done when McCain picked Palin... You should of heard the crazyness being spewed she said... It ran the whole gamut. :worthy:

P.S. The Dan Quayle's appointment may be the best analogy here. An unknown conservative with little previous experience.

Welcome to the big leagues Palin, this isn't Alaska anymore, put your boots and waders on, because you are about get neck deep in your own and everyone elses' crap DC style. And if you F'up, you will drown in it.

Quayle problem was he didn't notice. I expect she might.

Hmmmm...

http://features.csmonitor.com/politics/200...ut-sarah-palin/

Other media commentary from the 49th state include:

Anchorage Daily News

McCain’s choice of Palin was somewhat surprising because she most definitely is not a standard-issue Republican. She worked with liberal Democrats in the Legislature to pass a multi-billion-dollar tax increase on Alaska’s oil industry. She went back to Democrats again to win approval of her natural gas pipeline deal, which bypasses Alaska’s major oil companies in favor of a Canadian company.

In fact, Palin is almost totally alienated from the Republican Party establishment here. She tried and failed to get rid of ethically compromised party Chair Randy Ruedrich; they’re not on speaking terms. In the August primary, Palin urged fellow Republicans to desert long-time Congressman Don Young in favor of her inexperienced and uninspiring lieutenant governor, Sean Parnell.

Fairbanks Daily News-Miner

Most people would acknowledge that, regardless of her charm and good intentions, Palin is not ready for the top job. McCain seems to have put his political interests ahead of the nation’s when he created the possibility that she might fill it.

It’s clear that McCain picked Palin for reasons of image, not substance. She’s a woman. She has fought corruption. She has fought the oil companies. She’s married to a union member. These are portrayals for campaign speeches; they are not policy positions.

Juneau Empire

In a few short years, Sarah Palin moved from small-town mayor with a taste for mooseburgers to the governor’s office and now - making history - to John McCain’s side as the first female running mate on a Republican presidential ticket.

She has more experience catching fish than dealing with foreign policy or national affairs. Talk about a rocketing ascent.

Ketchikan Daily News

Selecting Palin is a maverick move for McCain who isn’t known for lockstep marching with his own party. But Palin herself doesn’t march to the drum of anyone but Palin. She is a servant to what she believes in.

She believes in God and family and heralds her simple roots in Alaska. Raised in small towns by a teacher and a school secretary, she married young and had five children, the latest of whom was born in the spring with Down syndrome. Religious conservatives will welcome her anti-abortion stand.

Kodiak Daily Mirror

Like so many Alaskans, I heard the news about Palin first thing in the morning, and wondered what crazy world I had woken up to. I also finally realized Lehrer wasn’t joking.

McCain pulled a stunt today, the kind I thought American politics had gotten past.

To me it looks like McCain, a politician I have long admired, chose Palin just to have a woman on the ticket.

The vast majority of editors and "journalists" are lefties. I'm not surprised. What about the 80 % of the state that loves her?

Seems to be plummeting. :thumbsup: Was 90% early. Then 80% a year ago. Now 64% (which is still, of course, very good)

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con...pproval_ratings

It is good to know that Palin and McCain are practically one and the same person when it comes to "the surge" and the War in Iraq, as evidenced by this searing insight she gave:

Alaska Business Monthly: We've lost a lot of Alaska's military members to the war in Iraq. How do you feel about sending more troops into battle, as President Bush is suggesting?

Palin: I've been so focused on state government, I haven't really focused much on the war in Iraq. I heard on the news about the new deployments, and while I support our president, Condoleezza Rice and the administration, I want to know that we have an exit plan in place; I want assurances that we are doing all we can to keep our troops safe. Every life lost is such a tragedy. I am very, very proud of the troops we have in Alaska, those fighting overseas for our freedoms, and the families here who are making so many sacrifices.

I am very, very proud of the troops we have in Alaska, those fighting overseas for our freedoms, and the families here who are making so many sacrifices.
Including her oldest son...In the Army Infantry. McCain's son also served in Iraq. I'm sure they wouldn't support the war unless they truley believed it was the right thing to do. Hopefully we draw down in Iraq and get on to winning the war in Afgahnistan.