Lol @ Greggggg Williams

Ramius

he got an extra $1million bonus for NOT being made HC after gibbs retired. it was in his contract. man, id love to get a job with dan snyder. dude just throws money at anything.

"After 3 years, you havent proven you are competent enough to be promoted? Heres a million bucks, get outta here..."

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

if hes sooo good, why is he always on the move from team to team?

unlike def cords who actually are great (jim johnson, monti kiffin) teams tend to want to keep those guys

Oilers/Titans 1990-2000. Titans were No. 1 overall in yards allowed, second in points allowed in his last year there. Hired as Buffalo head coach, 2001-03. Redskins DC 2004 - 07. Washington was 25th in yards allowed, 24th in scoring in 2003, the year before he arrived.

2004: 3rd yards, 5th scoring

2005: 9th, 9th

2006: 31st, 27th

2007: 8th, 11th

So. Three top-10 overall rankings in his four years in Washington, and the 2006 dropoff can be at least partly attributed to injuries. Williams has held exactly two coordinator's jobs in his 19-year NFL career; he left the first one to accept the promotion here, and left the other one when Snyder and Cerrato pulled their four-interview BS for the head coaching job there.

That resume doesn't exactly scream "journeyman" to me, but I've been wrong before.

Oilers/Titans 1990-2000. Titans were No. 1 overall in yards allowed, second in points allowed in his last year there. Hired as Buffalo head coach, 2001-03. Redskins DC 2004 - 07. Washington was 25th in yards allowed, 24th in scoring in 2003, the year before he arrived.

2004: 3rd yards, 5th scoring

2005: 9th, 9th

2006: 31st, 27th

2007: 8th, 11th

So. Three top-10 overall rankings in his four years in Washington, and the 2006 dropoff can be at least partly attributed to injuries. Williams has held exactly two coordinator's jobs in his 19-year NFL career; he left the first one to accept the promotion here, and left the other one when Snyder and Cerrato pulled their four-interview BS for the head coaching job there.

That resume doesn't exactly scream "journeyman" to me, but I've been wrong before.

prove it :thumbsup:

But don't get me wrong, I was very happy when the Bills let him go.

Yeah, happy. Ecstatic that other teams had hired coaches at the same time and were tasting success, while Donahoe and the Bills would blow it all up and start from scratch yet again. What a thrilling moment.

(BTW, you do know that Williams had turned down several earlier offers to extend his contract and told Donahoe that he wanted to "play it out". Ever consider that the divorce was by mutual consent?)

All reports were Greggo was going to get the Head Coach job in Washington after Gibbs retired. I'm pretty sure he was told this when he was hired, & had 4 interviews with Danny boy. Do you REALLY think Greggo was in position to make DEMANDS about control when he interviewed? He could just as easily have fired Greggo at the end of the year as the QB coach he hired, to hire the Chin. During preseason Zorn has shown signs he will be a good coach. I don't think Greggo gets that opportunity again..... at least for a long time.

How'd did Zorn's Skins look the past two weeks? Combined score: 70-6 against the Skins. I know it's just preseason, but you brought it up.

Why wouldn't he be in a position to make demands? He has a succesful four seasons with the team, well three out of four were succesful (top-10 defenses). Yes, when Greggo was hired and retained despite other clubs then interested in hiring him as their head coach, he was likely told he'd be the next head coach when Gibbs retired. But that was before it became known Bill Cower would likely be shopping in a year. Williams wa going to make a lot more than Zorn ended up making. Firing GW would cost a lot more than it would to fire Zorn. This might sound inplausable unless you follow Snyder's antics.

wow i never knew gregg was so beloved in these parts....never seen this type of support when he was here lol

remind me to never overstate to get my point across...geezz

is anybody really gonna argue that the washington redskins or the bills def instilled fear in anyone while gregg was the cords...i'll give him the titans def a couple of different years, they were a little scary when kearse was on fire , but in no way was i thinking "oh no, the redskins def" when we went in there last year. In fact we won that game in gregs house with a rookie qb and back up rb.

all im saying is he is not a great def cord....hes had some statistical good fortune, but his defenses dont scare anybody.

How'd did Zorn's Skins look the past two weeks? Combined score: 70-6 against the Skins. I know it's just preseason, but you brought it up.

Why wouldn't he be in a position to make demands? He has a succesful four seasons with the team, well three out of four were succesful (top-10 defenses). Yes, when Greggo was hired and retained despite other clubs then interested in hiring him as their head coach, he was likely told he'd be the next head coach when Gibbs retired. But that was before it became known Bill Cower would likely be shopping in a year. Williams wa going to make a lot more than Zorn ended up making. Firing GW would cost a lot more than it would to fire Zorn. This might sound inplausable unless you follow Snyder's antics.

The reason he wouldn't be in position to make demands is he has NEVER BEEN SUCCESSFUL as a HEAD COACH. He has a 1 year contract with JVille. We will see next year just how in demand he is around the NFL.

Actually, he ran the Skins' D from 2004-2007. That's four seasons, not one. His D ranked 3rd in the NFL in 2004 and 9th in 2005. I am not sure of the exact ranking last year, but I know it was in the NFC's top-10 all season.

I think he is a very good DC., He may just not be suited to head coach, but we'll know for sure in the coming years as he is sure to get another shot.

why dont you read the post again, the topic quoted was about the fact that they thought he was a genius not his actual tenure there...the lovefest ended after his first season

2004-2007 is 4 seasons not one? thanks for clearing that up genius

wow i never knew gregg was so beloved in these parts....never seen this type of support when he was here lol

is anybody really gonna argue that the washington redskins or the bills def instilled fear in anyone while gregg was the cords...i'll give him the titans def a couple of different years, they were a little scary when kearse was on fire , but in no way was i thinking "oh no, the redskins def" when we went in there last year. In fact we won that game in gregs house with a rookie qb and back up rb.

all im saying is he is not a great def cord....hes had some statistical good fortune, but his defenses dont scare anybody.

My guess is it's less him being beloved and more along the lines of people being unbiased 'bout the guy. Yeah, he wasn't all that as the Bills' coach, but it's quite a leap from being a bad head coach to being worthless @ any coaching job. He appears to be another career coordinator, along the lines of Buddy Ryan and Marvin Lewis; great coordinators, not so great head coaches.

Psst ... Williams never served as DC here. And I forget; did the Redskins D allow a touchdown in that game last year? Bills needed drive starts at the Washington 39 and 24 (via turnovers) to get back into the game.

Gregggg was an arrogant tool as a head coach, and I've heard nothing good about him from his former players here. That said, the Redskins were a playoff team in 2005 and 2007, and not because of a prolific offense.

My guess is it's less him being beloved and more along the lines of people being unbiased 'bout the guy. Yeah, he wasn't all that as the Bills' coach, but it's quite a leap from being a bad head coach to being worthless @ any coaching job. He appears to be another career coordinator, along the lines of Buddy Ryan and Marvin Lewis; great coordinators, not so great head coaches.

Agreed. Funny how the world is never grey to so many people...

Psst ... Williams never served as DC here. And I forget; did the Redskins D allow a touchdown in that game last year? Bills needed drive starts at the Washington 39 and 24 (via turnovers) to get back into the game.

Gregggg was an arrogant tool as a head coach, and I've heard nothing good about him from his former players here. That said, the Redskins were a playoff team in 2005 and 2007, and not because of a prolific offense.

Quit making sense Lori...you're making some posters heads spin :lol::thumbsup:

did they NEED the drive starts? no one will ever know that...were you frightened of the washington def going into that game?....he could not stop a rookie qb and back up rb from beating him in his house!! if people think he is a great cord, then i guess you could come up with some really good stats to go along with that...but i think hes was over hyped and hes fast losing his lustre...i respect your view and that of all others

not to be nit picky but we all know it was gregs famed defense he brought with him,he bragged it up at his opening press conf.

did they NEED the drive starts? no one will ever know that...were you frightened of the washington def going into that game?....he could not stop a rookie qb and back up rb from beating him in his house!! if people think he is a great cord, then i guess you could come up with some really good stats to go along with that...but i think hes was over hyped and hes fast losing his lustre...i respect your view and that of all others

not to be nit picky but we all know it was gregs famed defense he brought with him,he bragged it up at his opening press conf.

But he wasn't the coordinator. As we've previously discussed, some coaches are better off when they have one part of the team to concentrate on, rather than trying to run the whole show. I believe GW has proven he's on that list.

Did they need the benefit of good field position that day? Before Angelo Crowell recovered Jason Campbell's fumble late in the third quarter, the Bills, playing against a defense rocked by Sean Taylor's murder, had managed three punts, a lost fumble, and a single field goal. I think it's safe to say that Campbell's turnovers -- not any failure on the part of the defense -- cost Washington that game.

But he wasn't the coordinator. As we've previously discussed, some coaches are better off when they have one part of the team to concentrate on, rather than trying to run the whole show. I believe GW has proven he's on that list.

Did they need the benefit of good field position that day? Before Angelo Crowell recovered Jason Campbell's fumble late in the third quarter, the Bills, playing against a defense rocked by Sean Taylor's murder, had managed three punts, a lost fumble, and a single field goal. I think it's safe to say that Campbell's turnovers -- not any failure on the part of the defense -- cost Washington that game.

ok i give up..."not any failure on the part of the defense" ...were they not on the field (with greggy calling the shots), on the final drive...and with your home field adv you cant stop a rookie qb and his 31st ranked offense...i respect you think he is a great def cord, i just see it differently...no biggie :thumbsup:

a lot of people in Philly including myself would disagree with you about Buddy Ryan...I'm not saying he was a great head coach but the Eagles were terrible when he took over and he built a pretty good team that just couldnt win in the playoffs but at least he got them there and built one of the best defenses the league has ever seen

Buddy's biggest mistake in Philly was never getting a real offensive co-ordinator to work with Cunningham who desperately needed one

a lot of people in Philly including myself would disagree with you about Buddy Ryan...I'm not saying he was a great head coach but the Eagles were terrible when he took over and he built a pretty good team that just couldnt win in the playoffs but at least he got them there and built one of the best defenses the league has ever seen

Buddy's biggest mistake in Philly was never getting a real offensive co-ordinator to work with Cunningham who desperately needed one

So........you're saying that he did a very good job of building up their defense, but had problems doing the same w/ the offense? Shocking.

Buddy wasn't a horrible coach in Philly, but he owed a LOT of that to guys like Seth Joyner, Eric Allen, and the late trio of Jerome Brown, Andre "Dirty" Waters, and Reggie White. Randall Cunningham was good for them, and a guy who I feel is often disrespected by the media and the fans (didn't he get named the sportswriters' MVP 3 times in his career?), but the Iggles would be just good enough not to be a bad team. Better than his stint in Arizona, but being that you're in Philly, how many of the locals take stock in moral victories there?