Front and Rear surround sound speakers

HtownBillsFan

Mods PLEASE PLEASE leave here awhile. We bought a new home and the media room is all equipped for an LCD above the fire place and surround sound. I dont want to break the bank, but the original owner had surround sound speakers mounted in the wall. The rear two were round and the front rectangular. Since the holes are already there with the wiring, I would like to mount them there. The front are about 8x10 inches and the rear 8 or 10 diameter. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what type of receiver should I get to go with the LCD TV? I would like something all in one with dvd. Thanks in advance.

It's too bad the former owner pulled the speakers out of the wall. Did he just leave the holes?

If you want to use in wall speakers, you are not going to be able to find an all-in-one solution. This is actually good and bad news. The bad is that it will cost you more, but you will have a much better sounding system.

If you want an all in one system, you could just cover up the holes.

Go with BOSE as mentioned before cover the holes and use stand mounted speakers, this way you can rearrange your room and the speakers. Dont forget a center channel and the almighty subwoofer.

It's too bad the former owner pulled the speakers out of the wall. Did he just leave the holes?

If you want to use in wall speakers, you are not going to be able to find an all-in-one solution. This is actually good and bad news. The bad is that it will cost you more, but you will have a much better sounding system.

If you want an all in one system, you could just cover up the holes.

Yeah he just left the holes. The guy ended up quitting paying on the house and it got foreclosed. He then went through and raped it. Got the house for dirt cheap though, brand new construction (know the builder, very reputable). It was a steal! So if I decide against the all-in-one, what are some good brands of in wall speakers that I should consider?

Go with BOSE as mentioned before cover the holes and use stand mounted speakers, this way you can rearrange your room and the speakers. Dont forget a center channel and the almighty subwoofer.

Never go with BOSE! You can get much better quality at a much lower price. BOSE is a marketing firm that dabbles in audio.

Check out audioholics.com for some great advice and reviews.

Mods PLEASE PLEASE leave here awhile. We bought a new home and the media room is all equipped for an LCD above the fire place and surround sound. I dont want to break the bank, but the original owner had surround sound speakers mounted in the wall. The rear two were round and the front rectangular. Since the holes are already there with the wiring, I would like to mount them there. The front are about 8x10 inches and the rear 8 or 10 diameter. Any help would be appreciated. Also, what type of receiver should I get to go with the LCD TV? I would like something all in one with dvd. Thanks in advance.

Not sure its wise to stick a TV above a fireplace as the newer models tend to give off a lot of heat themselves. Just a thought but i could be wrong.

First off, a media room is one that has a projector and screen, not a TV. Second, the guy didn't have surround sound speakers installed in the room, he had speakers.

The wall is not "equipped for an LCD." -You have a spot where you can mount a monitor.

Finally if you do have odd shaped holes in your wall, do you have a-hole somewhere around the area below the spot you would put the mounting bracket for a center channel?? --No center channel--- no surrounds sounds speakers.-- :ph34r:

Go to a stereo shop and let them show you some options. Ideally, let them see the room you are describing.

Never go with BOSE! You can get much better quality at a much lower price. BOSE is a marketing firm that dabbles in audio.

Check out audioholics.com for some great advice and reviews.

Reading comprehension ! He is recommending Bose to cover up the holes only, not to use as outlets for sound. :ph34r:

Seriously, to the OP, is your decision to go in-walls purely based on the need to cover up the holes ? You might want to patch the holes and go with towers for the front, bookshelfs for the rear and a good subwoofer. Some research on AVS forum will do you a lot of good. If you decide to stay with the in-walls, try these (have a 30-day money back guarantee): HTD in-walls

Reading comprehension ! He is recommending Bose to cover up the holes only, not to use as outlets for sound. :ph34r:

Seriously, to the OP, is your decision to go in-walls purely based on the need to cover up the holes ? You might want to patch the holes and go with towers for the front, bookshelfs for the rear and a good subwoofer. Some research on AVS forum will do you a lot of good. If you decide to stay with the in-walls, try these (have a 30-day money back guarantee): HTD in-walls

In that case I have heard that BOSE hole covers outperform all other hole covers! The funny thing is, they could probably come up with a marketing strategy that would convince people to buy their revolutionary hole covers!

No highs, no lows, must be BOSE.

I think the Bose speakers you guys have been getting must have been spelled: 'BOWS"

Nobody's saying that Bose sounds bad (aside from them cutting off the highs/lows...). But they're WAY more expensive than speakers that sound MUCH better.

It's like Monster cable. Do they work? Yeah. Can you get a much cheaper cable that does the exact same thing? Yeah.

I think the Bose speakers you guys have been getting must have been spelled: 'BOWS"

There is a reason BOSE doesn't provide frequency response data with their speaker systems. BOSE has a very high WAF (wife acceptance factor) which helps sales too. If they were 1/3 the current price, they would be a fine little speaker system.

For a receiver, I would recommend Harman Kardon AVR models. Check out ebay. I bought mine as a refurb several years ago for about half the price of new. You can get a good receiver for under $300.

As for speakers, Klipsch makes great in-wall speakers. They also make great towers, surround & subwoofers too. These are not cheap, but I love the sound of them.

For a receiver, I would recommend Harman Kardon AVR models. Check out ebay. I bought mine as a refurb several years ago for about half the price of new. You can get a good receiver for under $300.

As for speakers, Klipsch makes great in-wall speakers. They also make great towers, surround & subwoofers too. These are not cheap, but I love the sound of them.

Klipsch, expensive..... :ph34r: