When is the last Day Peters can report

JasoninMT

Does he have to report earlier than Friday 9/5?

I'm assuming there's some sort of rule and league paperwork that has to be filed before you can put a player on your roster... and if he isn't available for the Roster, they don't have to pay him, right?

Can the Bills require him to take a physical before putting him on the roster?

Thanks in Advance. Just curious.

My point is basically... if he waits until 4:30 on the Friday before the first game to "report"... will he be able to get paid for week 1? Are the Bills obligated to make a roster move to accomodate him at that time?

My gut feeling is no... But, I'm curious when he would have to report in order to get his game check.

I sent a query to John Clayton asking this question, but I'm not sure if he'll answer it or not.

There is an "NFL-did-not-report" list, but I am not positive how it works or if it saves you a roster spot. I will try to look it up.

They will probably put him on that if he does not report by Monday or Tuesday. If he shows up today and ready to play they have to play him unless they suspend him or get a roster exemption. - Or I could be wrong - :wallbash:

This says that if you are on the "did not report" list, which apparently Peters already is, you do not count on the active roster. (Peters was placed on the list a couple weeks ago when they signed CJ Hawthorne). I have no reason to believe this isn't true, but it's also not an official source.

It's about Strahan last year when he wasnt sure if he was going to retire.

The last spot probably will be used for Michael Strahan, the seven-time Pro Bowl defensive end who is expected to report on Monday after holding out for 36 days while deciding whether to retire. He is currently on the reserve-did not report list and does not count on the roster.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunerev...g/s_525382.html

This says that if you are on the "did not report" list, which apparently Peters already is, you do not count on the active roster. (Peters was placed on the list a couple weeks ago when they signed CJ Hawthorne). I have no reason to believe this isn't true, but it's also not an official source.

It's about Strahan last year when he wasnt sure if he was going to retire.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribunerev...g/s_525382.html

Cool, thanks.

My point is basically... if he waits until 4:30 on the Friday before the first game to "report"... will he be able to get paid for week 1? Are the Bills obligated to make a roster move to accomodate him at that time?

My gut feeling is no... But, I'm curious when he would have to report in order to get his game check.

I sent a query to John Clayton asking this question, but I'm not sure if he'll answer it or not.

I think you can activate a player the morning of a game, so why wouldnt the Bills be able to do that with a guy like Peters? Again, I am not positive about this but I seem to remember teams activating players the day of the game.

SDS - you sure?

If he is on the roster... he gets a game check as far as I know. (now, I don't think he has to be "Activated" to be paid...) And the game check is 1/16th of his base salary (not bonuses).

If he's on the Non-Football Injury list (which is where I've heard holdouts go during the regular season). Then he won't be paid game checks. I don't know about IR...

And it also gets muddied if you're a Veteran at some point in your career, in terms of how much counts in Cap space... I recall one season they cut a vet - and signed him after the first week so they could save a bit of cap room ... back when we were really strapped.

SDS - you sure?

If he is on the roster... he gets a game check as far as I know. (now, I don't think he has to be "Activated" to be paid...) And the game check is 1/16th of his base salary (not bonuses).

If he's on the Non-Football Injury list (which is where I've heard holdouts go during the regular season). Then he won't be paid game checks. I don't know about IR...

And it also gets muddied if you're a Veteran at some point in your career, in terms of how much counts in Cap space... I recall one season they cut a vet - and signed him after the first week so they could save a bit of cap room ... back when we were really strapped.

He has to pass a physical. The physical could include conditioning if the Bills choose to do it. He could go on PUP if he is physically unable to perform. I don't think he gets a regular game check if that if the case.

What I'd like to know is can the Bills go after Peters entire bonus ( not just a part ) under the theory of a breach of contract. If a provision could be inserted in a player's contract where the bonus payment is provisional on a no holdout clause, I'd certainly try to write it from the team's side. Don't know if this would be contra the NFLPA. If not, I'd test it in court.

SDS - you sure?

Holding out means just that... one is not active, one is fined, one is not entitled to one's pay. That is the risk a holdout takes in hopes of a greater reward.

No one has really answered the original question so I will try.

I think this came up with the Farve saga.

If Peters reports, the Bills have 24 hours to put him on the active roster or release him.

Because he is already under contract, I do not think he needs to pass a physical before getting paid.