JP's play in camp...

bobinaz

I was watching the training camp videos over the past month and the preseason games, and noticed one thing that hadn't changed with JP. He still stares down his WR and holds the ball too long waiting for that WR to get open. I counted numerous times where he is sitting there for a good 5 + seconds waiting to throw the ball. I'm sure I'm preaching to the chior on this, but TE definately has the quicker decision making skills to check the ball down. Let's hope TE gets well soon and is back on the field.

Losman doesnt appear to know which spots on a route a receiver is going to be open. For instance, on a post pattern you have to throw the ball as soon as the reciever cuts and at the knees. If you wait too long, a safety comes up and either knocks it down or tatoos your reciever. Throwing it too high you get your reciever killed and dont give him a chance to use his body to shield a defender from the ball. Losman must know this, but instead he stares the route down until he feels ready to throw. He is getting better, but usually he plays at a high school level.

Edwards knows what to look for. He consistently hits recievers within a couple of steps of a cut, especially on short patterns. He knows w here the holes in the zone should be, and you can watch him look at them as he goes through his progression. Losman doess not have a progression. Edwards is accurate and delivers balls in a way his receivers can catch. This is unlike farve and losman, who throw high and hard.

Neither edwards nor JP throw seams and deep patterns against zone defenses on a rail like bledsoe or farve, but both are improving. Say what you want about JP (and ill probably agree with you) but i saw an improvement in his timing of comeback, crossing routes and seams last year. Edwards is going to improve tremendously this year, but were still in for some silly mistakes, especially when he has to throw the ball deep.

I was watching the training camp videos over the past month and the preseason games, and noticed one thing that hadn't changed with JP. He still stares down his WR and holds the ball too long waiting for that WR to get open. I counted numerous times where he is sitting there for a good 5 + seconds waiting to throw the ball. I'm sure I'm preaching to the chior on this, but TE definately has the quicker decision making skills to check the ball down. Let's hope TE gets well soon and is back on the field.

I just heard Favre praised for having the patience to hang on to the ball, I think a big difference is the line in front of Losman does not allow for that luxury & JP for some stupid reason hasn't figured that out.

Losman doesnt appear to know which spots on a route a receiver is going to be open. For instance, on a post pattern you have to throw the ball as soon as the reciever cuts and at the knees. If you wait too long, a safety comes up and either knocks it down or tatoos your reciever. Throwing it too high you get your reciever killed and dont give him a chance to use his body to shield a defender from the ball. Losman must know this, but instead he stares the route down until he feels ready to throw. He is getting better, but usually he plays at a high school level.

Edwards knows what to look for. He consistently hits recievers within a couple of steps of a cut, especially on short patterns. He knows w here the holes in the zone should be, and you can watch him look at them as he goes through his progression. Losman doess not have a progression. Edwards is accurate and delivers balls in a way his receivers can catch. This is unlike farve and losman, who throw high and hard.

Neither edwards nor JP throw seams and deep patterns against zone defenses on a rail like bledsoe or farve, but both are improving. Say what you want about JP (and ill probably agree with you) but i saw an improvement in his timing of comeback, crossing routes and seams last year. Edwards is going to improve tremendously this year, but were still in for some silly mistakes, especially when he has to throw the ball deep.

In a perfect world, our QB would be a mix of Edward's decision-making and JP's arm and ability to scramble....

In a perfect world, our QB would be a mix of Edward's decision-making and JP's arm and ability to scramble....

This is the biggest myth of all time..If he had this so called ability to scramble why the hell does he get sacked so much...His arm strength is quite impressive..I like Edwards accuracy abit better

This is the biggest myth of all time..If he had this so called ability to scramble why the hell does he get sacked so much...His arm strength is quite impressive..I like Edwards accuracy abit better

he gets sacked so much because his lack of pocket presence, which is different from ability to scramble

I must say, after being at practice yesterday, he looks like the same old JP. Only once during the entire session, did he not stare down the receiver he wanted to throw to. He doesn't even look at the rest of the field, just one receiver(usually Lee Evans) and it resulted in a pick and numerous pass breakups.

That, in a nutshell, is JP's failing. He has the arm strength. He has the wheels. But he lacks the ability to process what's happening on the field fast enough. Sometimes it's just a split second delay in making (or not making) a throw, but that's the margin between success and failure. JP could get away with that at Tulane because the competition level in C-USA. Not in the NFL. I like JP personally and wanted him to succeed but that is something that can't usually can't be learned. That's what Trent has over him.

PTR

I started receiving the NFL network when the Bills drafted JP. I will never forget Mike Mayock's comments after the draft. He said that JP has an "NFL arm" but "the question I have about him is his decision making." Mayock nailed it. He's the best draft guy in the business. B-):beer::wallbash:

That, in a nutshell, is JP's failing. He has the arm strength. He has the wheels. But he lacks the ability to process what's happening on the field fast enough. Sometimes it's just a split second delay in making (or not making) a throw, but that's the margin between success and failure. JP could get away with that at Tulane because the competition level in C-USA. Not in the NFL. I like JP personally and wanted him to succeed but that is something that can't usually can't be learned. That's what Trent has over him.

PTR

I agree PTR. Further, JP throws a nice deep ball a speed guy like Evans can run under, but the shorter and intermediate passes are way too often off the mark. I would add poor accuracy to his resume.