Solar Power Plants

Dante

Several problems:

The Megawatt level is at peak power. I have read that one nuke plant = solar panels covering Rhode Island with the sun shining 24/7 with the intensity it shines in June.

12.5 square miles! The Central Valley is the source of most of the produce in the US. This will be framland destroyed.

The Central Valley gets very thick fog in the winter and spring (Tuele Fog) where 50 car pile-ups have occured on the highways. Solar panels don't work in thick fog.

Several problems:

The Megawatt level is at peak power. I have read that one nuke plant = solar panels covering Rhode Island with the sun shining 24/7 with the intensity it shines in June.

12.5 square miles! The Central Valley is the source of most of the produce in the US. This will be framland destroyed.

The Central Valley gets very thick fog in the winter and spring (Tuele Fog) where 50 car pile-ups have occured on the highways. Solar panels don't work in thick fog.

Have you ever been to Central Cali in the summer ? This is an upgrade for sure. I hope they can cover more sq. miles with solar panels. The place is not fit for human habitation.

Yes I nave been in the Central Valley in 110 degree temps. The thing is that it is a prime farmland area. They are concerns that Modesto, Stockton, and Sacramento are spreading and turning farmland to foreclosed subdivisions (this area is the capital of the foreclosure mess). The fog gets very thick and the panels will be useless those days.

This might be a stupid question, but could solar panels on a rooftop be enough to power an individual building?

Lots of houses around here have them. IF(and a mighty big one at that at these prices) I were to build a house here that would be a slam dunk for me.

This might be a stupid question, but could solar panels on a rooftop be enough to power an individual building?

Sometimes. If it's an energy efficient building, and sunny enough weather. Given how much energy most americans use, the short answer really is no.

Anyways, I'm happy to see this. This Solar power plant is by no means the solution, but it's definately a start.

Sometimes. If it's an energy efficient building, and sunny enough weather. Given how much energy most americans use, the short answer really is no.

Anyways, I'm happy to see this. This Solar power plant is by no means the solution, but it's definately a start.

We visit my sister a lot in Santa Clarita(just north of LA) and the guy behind them built his house as he is a contractor. His entire roof is solar panels and he says he actually ends up selling back power back to the grid most months. I believe they get that in the form of a credit from PGE. Anyway, I don't know any of the variables. How they live. How many kids. How much laundry and so on. But I have been told this more than once about actually putting power up back to the grid. For what its worth.

We visit my sister a lot in Santa Clarita(just north of LA) and the guy behind them built his house as he is a contractor. His entire roof is solar panels and he says he actually ends up selling back power back to the grid most months. I believe they get that in the form of a credit from PGE. Anyway, I don't know any of the variables. How they live. How many kids. How much laundry and so on. But I have been told this more than once about actually putting power up back to the grid. For what its worth.

I believe it. Very interesting.

I would wonder what it's like if you live in say Michigan or New York where it's a bit more cloud cover.