Mike & the Mad Dog -- Finished

KD in CA

Russo walks out on the legendary sports talk team after 19 years. :thumbsup:

Count me among those who think the total was much greater than the sum of the parts. Francessa is insufferable alone and Russo is an idiot alone. But together they worked.

Yeah, I agree- separate, each one is annoying in a bad way- together, they are annoying in a good and entertaining way. Newsday reported this possibility back in June- apparently, they did not like each other and were barely communicative off the air. It's a shame, and I hope that in a year or two, when they realize they need each other, they'll mend fences and come back.

Russo walks out on the legendary sports talk team after 19 years. :thumbsup:

Count me among those who think the total was much greater than the sum of the parts. Francessa is insufferable alone and Russo is an idiot alone. But together they worked.

They should pair up Francesa with Schoop. Then you would have two know-it-all pompous asses going at it with each other until the end of time.

I really hope he doesn't wind up on ESPN radio, not a big fan

Russo from what I understand might go to Sirius Radio....

Ill say this: Arrogant, yes: Worked great together and were a great listen: Absolutely. KD in CT said it well, there were times I hated both of them, but together, it worked, and worked very well.

It was Mike and the Dog and NOBODY else. N-O-B-O-D-Y.

yes, better together, but each worked perfectly fine on their own. I will miss them tremendously. A big part of my life for their entire reign of some 19 years.

can't believe it's been that long.......

A sad day for me personally.......

I've spent time in philly, ny and boston and mike and dog were far above the sports radio in the two other places, and sports radio in general. Good debates, the arguments weren't as manufactured as most talk radio, they worked well together and they knew how to interview guests like no other radio host I've ever listened to. When they would get a good guest they could go for an hour with really interesting stuff.

have never heard a radio guy p*ss on his producers as much as russo though "another poorly produced call..."

I've spent time in philly, ny and boston and mike and dog were far above the sports radio in the two other places, and sports radio in general. Good debates, the arguments weren't as manufactured as most talk radio, they worked well together and they knew how to interview guests like no other radio host I've ever listened to. When they would get a good guest they could go for an hour with really interesting stuff.

Philly resident here - couldn't agree more.

Entertainment is always going to be a piece of sports radio.

Another important aspect for me (more so than whether or not they come off as condescending, which they do at times) - is that it's nice to know that the guys who get paid to do it for a living know more about what they're talking about than me. With the blowhard rush-hour guy in Philly, that's clearly not the case because he/they live in such a parochial bubble. Mike & Dogg on the other hand - while spending too much time on NY baseball for my taste - still have some recollection of basically every postseason NFL game ever played; as well as knowing the 3rd pitcher on every rotation in the Majors. To me that's an invaluable asset in deciding whether or not I want to listen.

This is a nice Simmons piece from a few years ago.