Paul Hamilton on McKelvin

Fewell733

I keep hearing Paul Hamilton on WGR talking about how poorly McKelvin played at corner last week. I really don't know what he's basing this on and he says it as though its obvious and then sounded surprised this morning that McKelvin thought he had played well.

I was at the game and watched McKelvin very closely through the second half and I was extremely impressed at his coverage skills. He looked very smooth and I don't believe any balls were even thrown his way in the second half. The only obvious mistake I can think of in the whole game was his containment error on the touchdown to Betts in the first half - and that's about as easily correctable as they come. I came into the game as a McKelvin skeptic and came out of it extremely encouraged that this guy could be a special player in the not too distant future.

Sometimes I get the feeling Hamilton kind of sees what he wants to see.

Hamilton is not an unbiased observer. He has made some idiotic comments over the last couple years about the Bills and Sabres. It was almost embarrassing last year to hear him jock JP Losman no matter how poorly he played. It was always the O-lines fault or the RB's and receivers. Nothing JP did was ever criticized. He does the same thing for other players like Ryan Miller (i.e. never gives up a bad goal....it's the Sabres fault for playing him too much). Paul Hamilton is just a biased fan masked as a reporter. He probably got jilted by McKelvin on an interview request so he has a beef with him now.

Agree with the posts above. Although I think the morning guys do a good job discussing the Bills, and I think Bulldog (like him or not) enjoys talking about 'em (despite his frustration with them).

But Hamilton and Schopp so clearly would rather be talking about anything else, it colors their "reporting," tarnishes their credibility.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Hamilton is sleeping one off EVERY FREAKIN' MORNING? Whenever he's on any morning show, he sounds like he's slurring his words, kicking the beer cans off the couch he passed out on...

I like Hamilton for his hockey coverage (he was the first/only person I ever heard hint that the Sabres were going to lose Chris Drury, back in January 2007), but his football observations are pretty much useless. He doesn't know the game any better than anyone here, so, expecting him to get much out of watching training camp drills, and exhibitions is pretty pointless. In all fairness to him, I know he is a hockey guy, it just seems that GR is too cheap to have a "football guy".

As for GR's tendancy to over-hype the Sabres, and treat the Bills like second class citizens, I really don't agree. True, they carry the Sabres, so they are bound to cover them prominently, but, lets' face it, the Sabres have been a more entertaining sports product over the last 5 years or so, than the Bills. And, if you don't think their analyst are critical of the Sabres, you are not really listening.

If they criticize the Bills, it is because, like a lot of fans, they are just tired of seeing the same mistakes made, over and over again. I don't think GR is on some mission to make the Bills a laughing stock. Think of them as fans, who don't like what they see, quite often. There are thos types of fans, and then those that have blinders, who have convinced themselves that every move the Bills front office makes is a stroke of genius, done to ensure the building a dynasty. The Bills really do have some legitimite problems. They are fair game for criticism.

I heard Hamilton say that too, I really didn't think McKelvin played "poorly". He had the typical first preseason game you'd expect out of a rookie cornerback (Not including his returns). I guess not having any pick sixes means you suck to Hamilton.