Boating fun

macdaddy

macdaddy - where do you live & boat? Buffalo area? I just upgraded this year to a Bayliner Discovery 210. For sure, get maps of the water area where you will be boating. Most boating is common sense, but take a safe boating course for sure. Let me know if you are in the Buffalo area, and I can give you a TON of tips for the area.

The SpartMan DOES know how to fish, first two pictures from this past Sunday News

Nice Bass & Pike

Russ, you owe me a coffee for making you the famous TBD Fisherman :ph34r:

Ya... Take a safe boating course...

I am a lock and dam operator with the Corps in South Chicago on the Illinois WaterWay. We deal with over 25k pleasure/recreational craft a year and about 10-15 million ton of commercial cargo... Along with 1,000's of empty barges, commercial passenger craft, etc.. etc...

My advice... Don't be "clueless."

Sun and alcohol on the water tends to put the "blinders" on many... Don't fall prey to it... Again, take a local safe boating course (usually through your local USCG-Aux)...

Really!

Good luck!

Oh... Another pet peeve of mine... Get PFD's that fit... Especially if you have young to very young children traveling on your vessel.

Bolded for the truth.

#2 - Know the water. Get a chart.

Too many rookies kill their props, shafts, lower units, etc., because they don't know the body of water that well. Get a chart, study it, use it.

Don't know where he is located... But, for here you can get charts on the internet or bound @

US Army Corps of Engineers

Mississippi River Visitor Center

Lock and Dam 15

Clock Tower Building, Box 2004

Rock Island, Illinois 61204-2004

1-800-645-0248

mvrodmn15@usace.army.mil

Illinois (I am at the border between Great Lakes and Western Rivers... 7 miles down from Lake Michigan) can be found @

mvrod-ia-vc@usace.army.mil

Great Lakes is USCG 9th District @

USCG 9th District

Safe boating course @

www.cgaux.org

• 2 weeks later...
Did you score?

:thumbsup:

Funny you ask....

Went out all day w/ the boys Friday...golf, Saratoga Race Track, Saratoga night life w/ limo, can't remember when I got in...

the old lady was fricken pissed Saturday AM. Dragged my ash out on the boat w/ her and actually scored when we got home. Whoo hoo.

But the 'scoring' comment was actually in regards to my sons.

Funny you ask....

Went out all day w/ the boys Friday...golf, Saratoga Race Track, Saratoga night life w/ limo, can't remember when I got in...

the old lady was fricken pissed Saturday AM. Dragged my ash out on the boat w/ her and actually scored when we got home. Whoo hoo.

But the 'scoring' comment was actually in regards to my sons.

:thumbsup:

Nice day here in Chicago and "cooler by the lake"... We have had 100's of boats so far since 0800 and the lake bound pleasure craft (PC) are starting to heat up... I am glad I leave at 1600 and leave the return PC to the afternoon crew... There are some oil/chem tows headed this way and it doesn't get pretty when the PC start to pile up because they can't make lock with the haz materials!... I will get my crack at afternoon shift next weekend... :w00t:

Get a GPS unit and USE it. Take spare spark plugs and various tools with you in your boat box. Always have enough PFDs for everyone on board for safety and to avoid an unpleasant visit with law enforcement. Get a dry bag so all your electronics aren't shot if rain creeps up on you. PUT THE PLUGS IN BEFORE YOU PUT THE BOAT IN THE WATER. Get your fishing license, fill the cooler with beer and have a blast!

Fill the cooler with beer.

Boy, that's great advice Phils. I've never heard of anyone getting killed because of drunken boaters.

Leave the beer at the dock, MacDaddy, it'll still be there when you get back, and you'll actually GET back.

Chief Warrant Officer Jeff Kuhn

US Coast Guard for 25 years, retiring in 2009

Boy, that's great advice Phils. I've never heard of anyone getting killed because of drunken boaters.

Leave the beer at the dock, MacDaddy, it'll still be there when you get back, and you'll actually GET back.

That's rule #1. And I'm all over it.

That is great advice! When the beer goes in, the "boat blinders get bigger!" It is amazing the tunnel vision a boater will get by just being out on the water in the sun all day... Mix in the alcohol and it increases at least 10 times.

Also... Like I said, PFD's that fit! It is amazing how you can see 100+ K vessels with little children on board and adult PFD's...

When you buy a boat... You should cover all bases/ages for your guests!

Watch out for piers. This story is on one of my co-workers that hit a pier Friday.

http://www.rnews.com/Story_2004.cfm?ID=642...s_story_type=18

It is your co-worker's fault... There is a lighted day mark there... I work for the Corps and used to do hydrographic (soundings for dredging and maintenance ops) at Charlotte Harbor... Like the one Coastie noted, they can light it up like a Christmas tree. I ask the question, what would that serve? It would just confuse vessels (most likely the ones who know the rules for the channel) even more. People must have common sense and follow the rules of the road... If they put to many lights up and it obscures the red/gren combination of marking that channel... Things will be even worse!

Like I said... I am a lock and dam operator and I could tell you a million stories of what people do and how they do not even bother to learn the rules of the road. Would people jump in a car without learning the rules?

True navigation light story:

At the upper approach to a lock there is a red light on the upper guide wall... What makes the other side of the chamber and "I-Wall" at a single lock (upper end) is a set of three green lights stacked vertically... at the lower end there are two green lights. One time I had a blitzed boater attempt to enter the lock chamber from the lower end (going upbound) while a tow pushing 9,000 ton of coal was leaving in the opposite direction... Good thing I was paying attention, because I saw him begin to enter and I yelled for him to back off and get out of the way. I asked him if he saw that traffic light (on the guidewall) just outside the lock gates (let alone the green/amber/red navigation lights of the approaching tow)... He said: "Ya... I got two green lights right there." Pointing to the lower end navigation lights.

:lol::lol:

One good tip:

Know the rules of the (boating) road!