Boating fun

macdaddy

Will be picking up my first boat tomorrow. 2002 Bayliner 1950 Capri Classic. Anybody have any constructive tips on the boat and/or boating? Yes, I will be adding Sirius radio for those beautiful fall days.

Wait a second, your buying your first boat and are asking for constructive tips on boating. Do yourself a favor and save the money. You will be doing everyone on the water a service.

Wait a second, your buying your first boat and are asking for constructive tips on boating. Do yourself a favor and save the money. You will be doing everyone on the water a service.

What part of 'constructive tips' didn't you understand?

Constructive tip #1 - Take a safe boating class.

Bolded for the truth.

#2 - Know the water. Get a chart.

Too many rookies kill their props, shafts, lower units, etc., because they don't know the body of water that well. Get a chart, study it, use it.

Bolded for the truth.

#2 - Know the water. Get a chart.

Too many rookies kill their props, shafts, lower units, etc., because they don't know the body of water that well. Get a chart, study it, use it.

What he said.

#3 In rough water always face the waves.

#4 - wear your personal flotation equipment. Have a throw-out flotation device.

#5 - rivers are dangerous waters. The Great Lakes are, too.

#6 - motor at low speeds until you learn how the craft responds to the helm.

#7 - if its' an I/O, be aware that explosive fumes can collect in the engine compartment. Have a 240 ABC extinguisher on board.

#8 - have a weather radio and heed it. Read weather predictions before you go out. Be aware that hazardous weather can happen in a matter of minutes.

#9 - nobody goes for a dip in the vicinity of the transom. Nobody.

#10 - learn about ropes and knots.

#11 - know how to steer your craft when high swells occur (see #3 above).

#12 - be sure your first aid supplies have the capability to stanch heavy bleeding.

#13 - never leave port with less than a gallon of drinking water per person.

#14 - check the operation of running lights before shoving off.

Edited by stuckincincy

#15 - If hauling your boat around, make sure the dang lights on the trailer work. Very few things annoy me more than seeing some tool with his 99' boat on a trailer and the lights not working. If you can afford the boat you can afford to check the lights before pulling out.

#15 - If hauling your boat around, make sure the dang lights on the trailer work. Very few things annoy me more than seeing some tool with his 99' boat on a trailer and the lights not working. If you can afford the boat you can afford to check the lights before pulling out.

Regularly service the trailer wheel bearings, too. :)

Will be picking up my first boat tomorrow. 2002 Bayliner 1950 Capri Classic. Anybody have any constructive tips on the boat and/or boating? Yes, I will be adding Sirius radio for those beautiful fall days.

macdaddy - where do you live & boat? Buffalo area? I just upgraded this year to a Bayliner Discovery 210. For sure, get maps of the water area where you will be boating. Most boating is common sense, but take a safe boating course for sure. Let me know if you are in the Buffalo area, and I can give you a TON of tips for the area.

Get a GPS unit and USE it. Take spare spark plugs and various tools with you in your boat box. Always have enough PFDs for everyone on board for safety and to avoid an unpleasant visit with law enforcement. Get a dry bag so all your electronics aren't shot if rain creeps up on you. PUT THE PLUGS IN BEFORE YOU PUT THE BOAT IN THE WATER. Get your fishing license, fill the cooler with beer and have a blast!

Get a GPS unit and USE it. Take spare spark plugs and various tools with you in your boat box. Always have enough PFDs for everyone on board for safety and to avoid an unpleasant visit with law enforcement. Get a dry bag so all your electronics aren't shot if rain creeps up on you. PUT THE PLUGS IN BEFORE YOU PUT THE BOAT IN THE WATER. Get your fishing license, fill the cooler with beer and have a blast!

Good post. Oh. Also Naked women with large Gozangas on the boat is always fun too!! :ph34r:

Thanks guys. A bit nervous but ultimately this is all about my teenage sons. My dad bought me a 1969 Jeep Mailtruck to get laid and I figured a boat would work a whole lot better.

Will have it parked in the Indian Lake area of the Central Adirondacks. Beautiful lakes w/ little traffic.

If anyone's in the area give me a PM and we'll go for a ride.

Make sure you have 2 paddles in the boat....

Once I was stranded (engine died, and I haven't the foggiest idea how to fix it). It was almost dark and there was nobody within earshot. Only 1 paddle means you have to pass it to your buddy on the other side of the boat every couple of strokes. I always make sure there are 2 now.

On a related note....Keep your wallet open. Boats are a money pit! The more informed you are about how your boat works, the less likely you are to break it and need to dump another few thousand bucks into it.

Thanks guys. A bit nervous but ultimately this is all about my teenage sons. My dad bought me a 1969 Jeep Mailtruck to get laid and I figured a boat would work a whole lot better.

My dad didn't even buy me a condom.

#16 - It is proper boating etiquette that when you take it out for the first time, whenever another boat passes by you should drop your pants and moon them. This is known as the First Crack at Boating salute.