Bills vs Steelers

john

FWIW - I've read a lot of posts over the last two or three days declaring that the Bills are going to play their starters on offense for nearly all of the 1st half. I have my doubts about this because of injuries to the O.Line and also due to the fact that it is only the 2nd preseason game. While I do believe the Bills would be better off giving their starters as much playing time as possible, I don't think it will happen against Pittsburgh. Here is a quote from an article pinned on the front page of Twobillsdrive that supports my opinion:

"The injuries on the offensive line are likely to make the Bills’ coaches less inclined to expose the starters to injury Thursday. Jauron said he had not made a final decision on playing time but indicated quarterback Trent Edwards and the starters would not see much more playing time against the Steelers. Edwards and the first-team offense saw just nine plays against Washington.

Asked how much the starters would play, Jauron said: “Probably not significantly more, a little more. A lot of it, of course, will depend on the health of people.”

What do you guys think about the amount of playing time the starters SHOULD see against Pittsburgh? I think a solid half of action would be nice but I have a feeling it will not be more then 1 quarter.

FWIW - I've read a lot of posts over the last two or three days declaring that the Bills are going to play their starters on offense for nearly all of the 1st half. I have my doubts about this because of injuries to the O.Line and also due to the fact that it is only the 2nd preseason game. While I do believe the Bills would be better off giving their starters as much playing time as possible, I don't think it will happen against Pittsburgh. Here is a quote from an article pinned on the front page of Twobillsdrive that supports my opinion:

"The injuries on the offensive line are likely to make the Bills’ coaches less inclined to expose the starters to injury Thursday. Jauron said he had not made a final decision on playing time but indicated quarterback Trent Edwards and the starters would not see much more playing time against the Steelers. Edwards and the first-team offense saw just nine plays against Washington.

Asked how much the starters would play, Jauron said: “Probably not significantly more, a little more. A lot of it, of course, will depend on the health of people.”

What do you guys think about the amount of playing time the starters SHOULD see against Pittsburgh? I think a solid half of action would be nice but I have a feeling it will not be more then 1 quarter.

The problem with committing to only playing the starters for the first quarter is that if the defense doesn't stop the opposing offense like last week, then the offensive starters will only get 2 series. DJ should commit to 4 series or something, instead of 1 quarter...

Jauron said the offensive starters won't play much more than they did last week, so don't get your hopes up. Traditionally, the game for the starters to play a half is the third one.

Which is, IMO, a mistake, given how young our offense is and the implementation of a second new system for Trent in 2 years. :puke:

I know Jauron is injury-scared now after last year, but he's gotta let them get their reps somehow, and from what I've read, he sure as hell hasn't been tough on them in practice...

Steelers defense ... Walker and Chambers at tackle ... I want to see Edwards get a good chunk of playing time, but knowing Jauron, I believe what Gaughan wrote.

Which is, IMO, a mistake, given how young our offense is and the implementation of a supposedly new system for Trent in 2 years. :puke:

I know Jauron is injury-scared now after last year, but he's gotta let them get their reps somehow, and from what I've read, he sure as hell hasn't been tough on them in practice...

I agree that they need more work, but I honestly don't think that the lack of playing time is because DJ is "injury-scared". IIRC, he did the same thing last season. For whatever reason he just does not give the offense the work they need. I don't understand it, this is a very very young offense.

Which is, IMO, a mistake, given how young our offense is and the implementation of a supposedly new system for Trent in 2 years. :puke:

I couldn't agree more. Particularly for Edwards sake. On MNF, both the Bengals and Packers had their starting quarterbacks taking snaps well into the 2nd quarter, and you cannot tell me that Edwards needs less work with his offense than Rodgers or especially Carson Palmer, a Pro-Bowler. I do not want to see stupid mistakes made against Seattle on September 7th that may have been avoided with more reps in the pre-season.

I couldn't agree more. Particularly for Edwards sake. On MNF, both the Bengals and Packers had their starting quarterbacks taking snaps well into the 2nd quarter, and you cannot tell me that Edwards needs less work with his offense than Rodgers or especially Carson Palmer, a Pro-Bowler. I do not want to see stupid mistakes made against Seattle on September 7th that may have been avoided with more reps in the pre-season.

Somebody is sure to point out that Rodgers didn't play in the 2nd. But it's a moot point; he was in for 4 series and 10 minutes+ time of possession.

Somebody is sure to point out that Rodgers didn't play in the 2nd. But it's a moot point; he was in for 4 series and 10 minutes+ time of possession.

You're right. I was thinking more along the lines of number of series played, not sure why I went in the quarters played direction. Edwards along with most of the first team offense besides possibly Marshawn NEED at least that amount of PT tomorrow IMO.

At halftime Ralph will call down to the locker and tell Dick that people didn't pay for those high-priced tickets in Toronto to see the 3rd stringers, put the 1st string back in.

I actually wondered today while eating my lunch and reading an article from Toronto on the game if the fact that its a Toronto game could play a factor, the FO telling DJ to play the starters more then usual to give the fans more of their moneys worth.

According to the article though, Edwards is expecting to play most of the first half of the game.