Excellent analysis of Putin's moves in Georgia

I believe is was the conservatives who stated that "the UN is irrelevant" when the UN objected to the proposed US invasion? So why cite it NOW?!

:lol:

It's this kind of blindness to reality that keeps you from understanding how the situations are different.

Read a little past the headlines, and you might be able to spot the differences once in a while.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

America the Annointed, is that it?

Read much history?

Read and lived enough to make that statement.

Since you're on a relativistic kick, perhaps you can educate me on the history of US invasions compared to the saintly Russians. I'm guessing you will undoubtedly show how they deal with war and their prisoners and the basic concept of human rights towards their enemies that would put Gitmo to shame. That should be an interesting read.

Here's kind of a side question for those of you that know more about other countries economies than I do.

Even though the Euro is going strong, could the big European countries actually absorb the financial hit that a war would bring?

My limited knowledge of their economies says probably not easily. Which makes me wonder if that's a bigger reason they shy away from wars and conflicts most of the time.

Read and lived enough to make that statement.

Since you're on a relativistic kick, perhaps you can educate me on the history of US invasions compared to the saintly Russians. I'm guessing you will undoubtedly show how they deal with war and their prisoners and the basic concept of human rights towards their enemies that would put Gitmo to shame. That should be an interesting read.

You much mistake the matter if you think I support ANY INVASION by any country of any other country.

So, it seems that the Russians are far far worse than that evil tyrant Saddam. Human rights issues, you say? Then why do not WE, the almighty United States, in turn invade Russia? We need to bring freedom and democracy to those downtrodden Russians and free the helpless Georgians.

It's this kind of blindness to reality that keeps you from understanding how the situations are different.

Read a little past the headlines, and you might be able to spot the differences once in a while.

Read past headlines? Since when are headlines facts? About three pages ago it seems someone was being crucified for claiming that much of the world was against the US invasion of Iraq....you could garner that from their headlines (fact? or not fact?) and the UN vote (irrelevant, right?)

Perhaps the problem we have here is that people read ONLY headlines.

You much mistake the matter if you think I support ANY INVASION by any country of any other country.

Of course you wouldn't. You live in a clean world of lattes, Benzes and black servant ladies cleaning up after you.

So, it seems that the Russians are far far worse than that evil tyrant Saddam. Human rights issues, you say? Then why do not WE, the almighty United States, in turn invade Russia? We need to bring freedom and democracy to those downtrodden Russians and free the helpless Georgians.

It says a lot about you that you scoff at the lack of human rights in both Russia and (especially now) Georgia just so you can score points in your rant against the "almighty United States."

The lack of empathy for the people being crushed is staggering.

It says a lot about you that you scoff at the lack of human rights in both Russia and (especially now) Georgia just so you can score points in your rant against the "almighty United States."

She has plenty of empathy for people being crushed, as long as they look like somebody that cleans her McMansion or scrubs the toilet in her 10,000 sq foot bathroom

Circular reasoning comes very easily to someone who's feet aren't planted firmly somewhere most of the time. I'm guessing blzurl doesn't even understand this metaphor, so I will do it literally: If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Namely: you don't get to pick and choose where and when suddenly good is good and evil is evil, and the rest of the time they don't exist. This phony-ass, liberal "moral superiority"(read: political expediency) only on certain issues and only when convenient is really getting annoying. And what's makes me laugh is that they accuse the religious nuts of the very same thing!

All of their "dissent" over the years has turned these phony-ass hippies into the very thing they supposedly hate: intolerant, race-baiting, "lowest level of thinking" fascists. These folks are so full of rage after losing in 2000 that they now seek to control others thoughts and words rather than merely winning elections, and they don't mind denying the truth if it doesn't agree with them or lying on a grand scale("the surge didn't work"), to get that control. All of it is "justified" because they perceive that the Republicans did it first. So, rather than remembering why they got mad in the first place, they go out and make even bigger assess out of themselves, and do the very same things they said were so terrible.

Great for us. :lol: Good thing we elected these people in 2006, so they could do absolutely nothing and earn themselves the lowest approval rating in our history, for an entire year. This is the literally the worst Congress we have ever had in the history of the country, and it's tough to get that many people to be that crappy all at the same time, you really have to suck at your job to get to this point.

Because most people are not morons.

*If* we could succeed without destroying the world or our own well-being in the process, then sure. Unfortunately, we can't. Nor can we bring it to a nuclear-armed North Korea. But where we can, we should not be afraid to consider the option. The logic that an average sixth-grader grasps but that somehow eludes the anti-war left is that only an idiot is obligated to respond the same way in all circumstances.

Most people will give a homeless person a dollar, but reject the proposition that they therefore must then give every homeless person around the world a dollar too. Is their selective charity hypocracy? If you see third graders bullying a classmate, I'm willing to bet that even you would intervene personally to break up the fight. But then are you a hypocrat if you wouldn't jump into an M-13 gang beating, choosing to call the police instead?

This idea that, in order to be consistent, every country with WMD must be invaded because Iraq was is possibly the most disingenous argument put out by the anti-war crowd. If we give aid to a country hit by a tsunami, *must* we give aid to every country with a natural disaster? If we give a poor country money to fight aids, *must* we give all countries money for that purpose? That appears to be the strawman logic being put out by the left.

It's hard to be empathetic to one group when this crap goes on all over the world, like Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia, the Congo, Nepal, Colombia, North Korea, Phillipines, Israel, China and Chechnya.

It's hard to be empathetic to one group when this crap goes on all over the world, like Uganda, Sudan, Ethiopia, the Congo, Nepal, Colombia, North Korea, Phillipines, Israel, China and Chechnya.

Why should anyone emphasize with just one group?

I don't know what the best thing that ever happened to me was, but being born in the United States of America has to be right up there. The rest of the world.......yikes.

Georgian president Mikheil Saakashvili on Wednesday called for John McCain and other American leaders to do more for Georgia in their response to the conflict in his country.

“Yesterday, I heard Sen. McCain say, ‘We are all Georgians now,’” Saakashvili said on CNN’s American Morning. “Well, very nice, you know, very cheering for us to hear that, but OK, it’s time to pass from this. From words to deeds.”

McCain told a crowd in Pennsylvania yesterday that he had called Saakashvili to express solidarity with the people of Georgia, saying: “Today, we are all Georgians.”

McCain’s foreign policy adviser Randy Scheunemann told reporters on the campaign plane Tuesday that McCain’s remark “obviously meant a lot to Saakashvili personally, but more importantly the message it conveyed to the Georgian people in this really, time of unprecedented national emergency.” Scheunemann said McCain and Saakashvili are friends who have speaking daily throughout the crisis.

cnn.com

Obama Warns Russia on Georgia By Jolly Rosenkrantzbergstein

Aug. 13 (Bloomberg) --Future President Obama said the U.S. would stand behind its ally Georgia and warned Russia that it must respect the ``territorial integrity'' of the Black Sea nation.

A U.S. military cargo plane is heading to Georgia with relief supplies and Obama said he directed Defense Secretary Nominee George Clooney to organize a humanitarian aid effort. Secretary of State Nominee Jeremiah Wright will travel to Georgia to confer with President Mikheil Saakashvili.

``Russia's ongoing actions raise serious questions about its intentions in Georgia and the region,'' Obama said today at the Black House in Harlem. He said he was concerned about reports that Russian forces continue to move through Georgia in spite of an agreement on a cease-fire.

Obama also added the he plans to Bomb Israel on Thursday.

Bloombergstein article.

Well, W just upped the ante...let's see where this takes us.

This could get ugly.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...refer=worldwide

Great, because Bush couldn't get major powers to help out in occupying Iraq, he turned to countries like Georgia so he could pad the number of countries supporting his cause by bribing them with support to join NATO, and now feels obligated to return the favor. This is how World War I started.

And why the hell are we having to pay to clean up the mess the Russians made? Make them pay the bill or kick them out of the G-8.

Great, because Bush couldn't get major powers to help out in occupying Iraq, he turned to countries like Georgia so he could pad the number of countries supporting his cause by bribing them with support to join NATO, and now feels obligated to return the favor. This is how World War I started.

And why the hell are we having to pay to clean up the mess the Russians made? Make them pay the bill or kick them out of the G-8.

Yeah, either that or he doesn't like the fact that Russia has invaded a democratic nation and one of our allies.

It's amazing that your hatred of Bush is the overwhelming force behind every idea you have.

HEY! DON'T FORGET ABOUT POLAND! YOU FORGOT ABOUT POLAND!