Post Game Observations

Lofton80

All in all a sloppy performance which can be expected from a first preseason game. Tackling was really bad in first half with many of the culprits being people who will see a lot of playing time.

Kelsay- Painful to watch Portis carry him 4 yards when he had the play read. Fourth and 1 td was right at him as well. Not sure if Denny played but I hope he is ready to go.

Fred Jackson has great hands and makes it look easy as a receiver.

Had to like James Hardy in the red zone. Nice grab and nice throw by JP.

Poz was active, Ellison looked bigger and made a few nice plays as well.

Chris Ellis rushed the passer well in first quarter in a third and long set. Looked a lot like Anthony Hargrove with his speed. Sorta disappeared after that but a nice flash of ability.

Derek Fine has some good hands as advertised.

Fowler is still a liability in the run game. Preston got a nice push on JP's QB sneak for a first down (never thought I would see that).

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. The Bills will have a very dangerous return game with multiple weapons/options in McKelvin, Parrish and McGee.

2. Overall, I thought Poz looked good. Seemed a bit rusty and out of position at times, but he had some nice hits.

3. Edward is a second year QB and he looked like one tonight. Impossible to make any judgments after the first preseason game, but Edwards is the most critical piece of the offensive puzzle. If he does not improve from last year, the Bills will not be above .500 this year. I really hope that he will prove that he is the "guy" this year.

4. Although Schonert received a lot of positive press and he has called plays before, it will be interesting to see if he is an improvement in his first year as OC over the last guy. I understand that it is only preseason, but the playcalling tonight seemed similar in terms of plays and mix as last year.

5. I agree that Youboty is being showcased for a trade.

6. Our second and third teamers played pretty well. I think there is a lot of young talent on the Bills roster.

7. Now, the most obvious point of all: the Bills need Peters in camp. Is he 100% after his surgery? Kind of shocking that the Bills do not seem to know his medical status (unless I missed something). He needs to be in camp to work on timing and coordination with the o-line. I always worry that guys who report late tend to get injured later.

2. Overall, I thought Poz looked good. Seemed a bit rusty and out of position at times, but he had some nice hits.

The play that stands out is Poz overpersuing a RB, taking two steps to the left when the RB was running right at him. There were a couple other running plays where Poz got out of position. This is an area he has to improve upon. He looked strangely like London Fletcher to me tonight.

3. Edward is a second year QB and he looked like one tonight. Impossible to make any judgments after the first preseason game, but Edwards is the most critical piece of the offensive puzzle. If he does not improve from last year, the Bills will not be above .500 this year. I really hope that he will prove that he is the "guy" this year.

Start JP LOSMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!! lawl.

Hard to tell from that game. Edwards didn't exactly look like he was trying to read the D all that much.

4. Although Schonert received a lot of positive press and he has called plays before, it will be interesting to see if he is an improvement in his first year as OC over the last guy. I understand that it is only preseason, but the playcalling tonight seemed similar in terms of plays and mix as last year.

Like most NFL teams, they aren't going to do anything but vanilla offense during most of preseason.

6. Our second and third teamers played pretty well. I think there is a lot of young talent on the Bills roster.

I thought the 3rd teamers were especially horrible on the lines. I wasnt' really all that impressed.

Kelsay- Painful to watch Portis carry him 4 yards when he had the play read. Fourth and 1 td was right at him as well. Not sure if Denny played but I hope he is ready to go.

I saw Denney's jersey a few times out there, and thought Kelsay did a decent job overall tonight.

Poz was active, Ellison looked bigger and made a few nice plays as well.

The LBs need to play much better than they did tonight. They got eaten up, imo.

Derek Fine has some good hands as advertised.

It'll take him a while to get on the field though, wasn't impressed by his blocking.

Fowler is still a liability in the run game. Preston got a nice push on JP's QB sneak for a first down (never thought I would see that).

I thought Brad Butler was much worse than Fowler tonight. Butler got pushed all around.

I'm somewhat confused (not that that's a great revelation or anything). But, on one hand, I've read several posts that say... get Peters into Camp! We need him.

Then on the other hand, I've read several posts that say the offense was similar to last year... decent pass protection, but not great run blocking.

So.. which is it? Does the line blow without Peters? Or is it similar to last year's? Or was it too little to tell?

Please, enquiring minds (that didn't watch the game) want to know.

Regarding, Peters, it is impossible to make any real judgments about the o-line or the playcalling tonight since it is preaseason (and the first preseason game). To me, the bottom line is that Peters in the line-up makes for a stronger o-line. He is a very good player and clearly better than anyone else who would replace him.

Regarding, Peters, it is impossible to make any real judgments about the o-line or the playcalling tonight since it is preaseason (and the first preseason game). To me, the bottom line is that Peters in the line-up makes for a stronger o-line. He is a very good player and clearly better than anyone else who would replace him.

I'd readily and emphatically agree with you. Having him definitely gives us the best combination of linemen. But, lets just pretend Peters is dead in a canyon and doesn't return... were we at least adequate in is stead?

1. The Bills will have a very dangerous return game with multiple weapons/options in McKelvin, Parrish and McGee.

Yea, McKelvin looked electric out there. Did McGee even play tonight?

3. Edwards is a second year QB and he looked like one tonight. Impossible to make any judgments after the first preseason game, but Edwards is the most critical piece of the offensive puzzle. If he does not improve from last year, the Bills will not be above .500 this year. I really hope that he will prove that he is the "guy" this year.

Totally agree and I think him proving himself depends on one thing: Jason Peters. If JP shows up, he will drastically change the look of this offense. Trent will be able to look downfield more often and the run will become more effective to set up the pass.

Also,

Is it me, or did Kawika have a poor first outing as a Bill?

Some Points

1. The Bills looked very much like last year- very good special teams, an OL that pass blocks fairly well and can't run block, a defense that looks scrappy but still can't stop 3rd down plays and wears down late in the game- two QBs that are each flawed in their own special way.

2. Hardy and Fine showed some nice qualities

3. Move Bell to LT now and Walker back to RT and Chambers to the bench

4. Peters might have to move to DT when he comes back or OG or both

Yea, McKelvin looked electric out there. Did McGee even play tonight?

Totally agree and I think him proving himself depends on one thing: Jason Peters. If JP shows up, he will drastically change the look of this offense. Trent will be able to look downfield more often and the run will become more effective to set up the pass.

Also,

Is it me, or did Kawika have a poor first outing as a Bill?

How about Trent proving himself not by Jason Peters but by ceasing to be a glove wearing Mary. Dude went 1 for 5. He sucked last year and sucked today. Making Clean up the City Boy look like Johnny Unitas must take a lot of work.

Don't get me wrong. Trent has sucked in every game he has ever played, but that is still pretty good for a 3rd round second year player.

I'd readily and emphatically agree with you. Having him definitely gives us the best combination of linemen. But, lets just pretend Peters is dead in a canyon and doesn't return... were we at least adequate in is stead?

Didn't look that way to me. But as bad as the O-Line looked, the Defense as a whole looked TEN TIMES as bad. Pure crap out there. Funny, the team didn't look good at ALL tonight, except a couple throws from Hamdan. THAT guy looked poised. If the Bills could play the entire game on Special Teams, we might stand a chance this season. But unless they drastically improve from what they showed us tonight, or had their real tricks in the bag, we are gonna have another LONG season.

First off, this was the bills FIRST pre-season game, so there was bound to be some rust from some guys. Also, this was the 'Skins 2nd pre-season game, so they were more prepared/experienced than the Bills coming into this game.

1.) Trent wasn't perfect, but he is the guy I want to start all 16 games this year. I think his recievers just did not get great separation and he did not have much time to pass the ball.

2.) JP may have been 7-9, but he is still erratic and a mediocre QB. He holds on to the ball way too long, locks onto the same recievers, and his passes are inaccurate. For example, on the long completion to Roscoe Parrish, he put too much air under the ball (which he has been doing quite a bit during training camp) and severely underthrew the ball.

3.) Youboty looked pretty sound out there. I don't think he wiffed on any tackles and he made a pick. Audition or not, he looked impressive.

4.) Did Lee Evans or McGee play?

5.) McKelvin looked good returning the ball, but he looked like a rookie on the defensive side of the ball. That play where Betts scored a td, McKelvin tried shedding a block, whereas he should have just taken it if. If he would of taken the block on, Betts may of been tackled.

6.) Thank Goodness James Hardy had that touchdown. He was having a horrible game up to that point (he dropped a pass, was unsure on a couple of motions, and had a false start penalty called against him). That was huge for his confidence and composure, and it was something he can build off of.

7.) STROUD ONLY PLAYED FOR ONE SERIES!!

8.) The Bills desperately need Peters out there. Their running game was just not the same with that big, low IQed, lug out there.

First off, this was the bills FIRST pre-season game, so there was bound to be some rust from some guys. Also, this was the 'Skins 2nd pre-season game, so they were more prepared/experienced than the Bills coming into this game.

1.) Trent wasn't perfect, but he is the guy I want to start all 16 games this year. I think his recievers just did not get great separation and he did not have much time to pass the ball.

2.) JP may have been 7-9, but he is still erratic and a mediocre QB. He holds on to the ball way too long, locks onto the same recievers, and his passes are inaccurate. For example, on the long completion to Roscoe Parrish, he put too much air under the ball (which he has been doing quite a bit during training camp) and severely underthrew the ball.

So Trent is great but our receivers suck and make him look bad while Clean up the City Boy sucks but looks good because our receivers are terrific?

So Trent is great but our receivers suck and make him look bad while Clean up the City Boy sucks but looks good because our receivers are terrific?

I noticed that too. But, I didn't want to start a mess over it all. Interesting how observations go.

Actually, yea, something like that. The recievers Trent was throwing to were facing 1st string guys, whereas the recievers JP was facing were facing scrubs.

Here some simple logic for you...

Which is a better matchup?

Roscoe against Byron Westbrook OR Roscoe against Leigh Torrence?

I'll add to this:

We still have no pass rush. And from First String to Third, the D-Line left FAR too much room for the Skins RBs.

Yea, I totally agree. Also, the draw play totally mauled the Bills all day!

Actually, yea, something like that. The recievers Trent was throwing to were facing 1st string guys, whereas the recievers JP was facing were facing scrubs.

Here some simple logic for you...

Which is a better matchup?

Roscoe against Byron Westbrook OR Roscoe against Leigh Torrence?

What string will be playing during the regular season when Mary has his gloves on because it is only 52 degrees out?