Post Game Observations

Lofton80

In the post-game someone asked Jauron specifically about that play and he said the throw was correct, someone ran the wrong route.

You are so right. So now Trent is supposed to be sure a receiver is running the right route instead of just throwing the ball where the receiver is supposed to be? Is he supposed to cure cancer too?

you can clearly see it is a well meant throw, but no one is there where they should be.

I'm glad Jauron did not name names publicly because he can do it in the film room.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was all on Shouman, he ran his route too deap and got tangled up with the safety. The only knock on Edwards on that play was that maybe he put too much trust that Shouman was going to run his route properly. As Flutie would say, watch the film....

Thanks for the clarification, I'll have to look at the replay; because it still looked to me that no matter what route Schouman ran there didn't seem to be any windows to throw the ball into.

That was all on Shouman, he ran his route too deap and got tangled up with the safety. The only knock on Edwards on that play was that maybe he put too much trust that Shouman was going to run his route properly. As Flutie would say, watch the film....

That is just total nonsense. Trent looked right at Shouman who was not only tangled up with the safety but was doubled covered. There wasn't any time, not even a nanosecond that Shouman didn't have a Redskin actually touching him from the time he was one yard beyond the line of scrimmage. He was tangled up the entire route. There is no way Trent should have thrown that pass at all with two guys right there and literally zero separation. It was a terrible decision and a bad ball regardless of the route running.

That was pretty much the only bad one he threw though. I thought the Roscoe pass was a great ball. The Hard play was definitely a misread by Hardy BUT the pass went out of bounds two yards in front of the first down marker so even if he made the right read and caught it, it didnt mean a first down, although it could have been. That wasn't Trent's fault at all, he did the right thing and threw the right pass.

Alright, here are my observations/reactions after looking through a few game threads.

1. Unlike most posters, I was not very impressed with Youboty's performance. He really looked hesitant on a number of plays to me, for instance pulling up and starting to walk as a teammate in front of him made the tackle. Get up there and make sure the play is finished off! It continues to look to me like he does not want to be physical. Yes, it was a nice INT. I for one liked the lateral. I think you protect the ball first, but after that, yes, lateral if you're confident it's going to work.

1b. So far Corner looks like a pleasant suprise for a rookie 4th round selection. It looks like he may well get significant playing time this year.

2. I agree with the comments that Hardy looked pretty lost. But, I'm excited to see him be physical. A couple times he pushed off, but the right amount, which typically takes rookies time to learn. Too much and you look like a (penalized) undisciplined rookie; too little and the defender dominates. I think when he gets comfortable w the calls/reads/playbook, relaxes, and gets into his flow, he's going to be good.

3. Ellis would have had the sack a quarter second after DiGeorgio got there. It was close enough I thought he might get a half sack as it happened.

4. Anyone see anything to explain Lindell's kick? Did he slip? I seem to remember him kind of kicking diagonally through the ball, leaning to his left. Sorry, it would be easy for me to check, but I um, erased the game.

5. I was suprised that it happened, but at the end of the game I was fed up with Jauron, and decided I'm ready for our coach to display some passion. Burning time outs because we're not ready in time is not acceptable. Hanging in the game so we have a chance to win with a last minute drive is not a winning long term coaching philosophy. It's time to start practicing full speed. I think our guys need to be in the habit of going all out, at NFL speed. Let Trent be heady. Fine. But our defense and O-line need to tap into more primal physical energy and go kick some asss.

5b. As I say, I was suprised it happened, but if we wimp our way through the first 2-3 games of the regular season, I may well be on the leading edge of calling for a new coach, though I usually am one of the last few to grab a pitchfork.

My take on the game:

Although we started slow on both sides of the ball, we were able to come back and make a game of it. That's good.

1. Here's my stack ranking of QB play: JP, Hamdan, Edwards, the new guy

JP looked awesome. A TD pass AND a 2 pt. conversion pass. I like that wide open style he was playing. Hamdan looked very good also. Not too many points, but some great drives. Starting on the 10 and driving to Redskin 28 only t have Lindel miss the FG was tough. The fumble on the other drive too. This kid can play. Trent didn't look good. The guy ran the wrong route on one and I think another was dropped. The one completion was great. Perfect pass. We need more of that. The pass into the end zone was scary. The new guy didn't get much of chance and looked like a new guy in with all the other new guys. I was dismayed that Trent got such a short amount of time to play. Maybe the coaches think he needs more practice before he gets more gametime. Don't know. Puzzling.

2. No run game

The run offense when the starters were in was not good.

3. Defense gave up to many yards.

Looked like last year. Bend but don't break.

4. Kicking teams were pretty good.

Looks like kicking teams are our best part of the game. Good to see that. McKelvin looked great on that punt return. The only thing not making then GREAT was that missed FG by Lindel. He's gotta make 48 yard field goals if we're gonna have a chance this year.

5. No picks

Our QB threw no picks. That's great. Trent did get lucky on that one. But still, no picks.

6. Great catch in the end zone.

That guy that caught that one in the end zone from JP ran a great route and made a great catch. This could be fun.

7. Roscoe

Roscoe looked great. The guy can run after catch, but he can also make some great catches. He's the real deal. 3 catches for 50 yards. Yeah baby.

All in all a disapointing outing, but it was only the first pre season game. No biggee. Saw enough bright spots to think we might have something this year.