OT - Car help

kegtapr

Well, not really but maybe he will get more people to read this thread. B)

Now the car question. For two days in a row on the way home my car has done something funny. Yesterday after driving about 15 minutes, when I went to accelerate from about 5 to 25 mph my car jerked twice and it didn't want to accelerate. Took my foot off the gas when it did that and coasted and sounded normal. Then it just went away as quickly as it happened. Went out for a test drive later that night and it was fine.

Today it ran fine on the way to work, but did the same thing on the way home after about 10 minutes of driving. This time it did it about 4 or 5 times when I hit the gas to accelerate. I pulled over and sat for a minute then it was fine the rest of the drive home.

I did have a belt just start chirping if that is a clue. The belt makes noise when I am idle or coasting at slow speeds but goes away when I am applying gas.

I'd appreciate any insight that could be offered.

First off, I know nothing about mechanical things, including cars, but I've had something similar when the clutch went on my standard transmission on a 1986 Mazda. When the clutch is slipping, the engine revs with no acceleration. I imagine if the car has an auto transmission, the equivalent of a slipping clutch would do the same thing.

like they said above, sounds like something with the transmission...seems like it cant engage the next higher gear...

i am not that mechanically inclined, but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last nite...:)

My good friend just had the same problem. He had a switch that tells the transmission when to shift replaced. It was cheap. In his case, his car would jerk around when shifting down or up but typically only happened at highway on and off ramps. It seemed like when it was in overdrive it didn't want to leave overdrive. Don't know much about cars but I'm just looking to help. He drives a Buick

Do you drive standard?  Sounds like a clutch.  If not it could be your transmission which would not be good

76503[/snapback]

It's an automatic. A few months ago when I was driving 65 on the highway my car was accidently thrown into reverse (women, don't ask.) I got lucky and though I escaped scott free. I wonder if I'm starting to see some effects from that.

One thing that seems odd though (to me anyway as I know little about cars), when the car jerks and won't accelerate I don't hear the engine reving. I would think that if it was having trouble shifting that the engine would still rev. Sounds like it's completly losing power instead. It does seem to happen around the same speed each time though.

It's an automatic. A few months ago when I was driving 65 on the highway my car was accidently thrown into reverse (women, don't ask.) I got lucky and though I escaped scott free. I wonder if I'm starting to see some effects from that.

One thing that seems odd though (to me anyway as I know little about cars), when the car jerks and won't accelerate I don't hear the engine reving. I would think that if it was having trouble shifting that the engine would still rev. Sounds like it's completly losing power instead. It does seem to happen around the same speed each time though.

76524[/snapback]

Sounds like a great story :) . The worst thing you can do for your transmission is put it in reverse while its engage forward. It sounds like you have transmission troubles which could really suck. A new transmission is about 2grand. I hope I am wrong and its just a switch like Dan suggested. Definately get it checked out asap before you are left stranded. Good luck!

Sounds like a great story :lol: .  The worst thing you can do for your transmission is put it in reverse while its engage forward.  It sounds like you have transmission troubles which could really suck.  A new transmission is about 2grand.  I hope I am wrong and its just a switch like Dan suggested.  Definately get it checked out asap before you are left stranded.  Good luck!

76527[/snapback]

That's not what I wanted to Fuggin hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Thanks for the help. Hopefully it will make it to the weekend.

I don't hear the engine rev. Seems like there is a complete loss of power.

76526[/snapback]

Sounds to me like it is misfiring. Ask a mechanic about it. It happens sometimes and there are a bunch of possible causes. Should be less than a $100 to fix depending on what it is. Usually a mechanic will go through all possibilities "just to be sure". :)

It should get more persistent as time goes on.

Sounds to me like it is misfiring.  Ask a mechanic about it.  It happens sometimes and there are a bunch of possible causes.  Should be less than a $100 to fix depending on what it is.  Usually a mechanic will go through all possibilities "just to be sure".  :)

It should get more persistent as time goes on.

76539[/snapback]

I like your response better. Sorry Pete, I gotta believe Bear because, well, his is cheaper. :lol:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t133185.html

This sounds something like mine. Hopefully it's a simple fuel filter like this guy.

76546[/snapback]

Couple of Q's

What kind of car is it?

How many miles on it?

Have you had standard service done on the car?

Other than the tranny thing, (she's not suppose to move the shifter when she's doing that thing) had you had any other problem with it before?

At certian time its a good idea to have the injecters cleaned, alot depends though....

Was it good for you? :lol:

I`d start with a fuel injector cleaner ..then a fuel filter..even a set of wire`s or it could be your Tps if it`s a gm product..I`d get a can of fuel injector cleaner and stick in it first ...then the filter if it persist`s ..I`ve had a bad set of wire`s break up under load (jerky going up hill ) ..good luck :lol:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t133185.html

This sounds something like mine. Hopefully it's a simple fuel filter like this guy.

76546[/snapback]

Yeah, misfiring is kind of a catch-all for a bunch of small problems, but they are usually all pretty cheap!

It can be a fuel/air filter, fuel lines needing flushed, overall tune-up to catch all fluids/filters...etc.

Fuel filters get overlooked a lot by people who do their own small maint. on their cars (oil changes..etc). Get them changed and it would probably be a good idea to get your fuel lines flushed.

76524[/snapback]

:lol:

Couple of Q's

What kind of car is it? 98 Chevy Cavalier

How many miles on it? 72000

Have you had standard service done on the car? Outside of oil changes nope. Had it about 15 months, purchased from a good dealer.

Other than the tranny thing, (she's not suppose to move the shifter when she's doing that thing) had you had any other problem with it before? I wish :lol: . No major problems. Just a belt replaced and new brakes needed.

At certian time its a good idea to have the injecters cleaned, alot depends though.... Used some fuel injector cleaner a couple months ago

Was it good for you? :lol: YeeeeeeeHaaaaaaaaaa!

Now that I think of it I have noticed a slight loss of power the past couple months.

Couple of Q's

Have you had standard service done on the car? Outside of oil changes nope. Had it about 15 months, purchased from a good dealer.

Other than the tranny thing, (she's not suppose to move the shifter when she's doing that thing) had you had any other problem with it before? I wish :lol: . No major problems. Just a belt replaced and new brakes needed.

At certian time its a good idea to have the injecters cleaned, alot depends though....  Used some fule injector cleaner a couple months ago

Now that I think if it I have noticed a loss of power the past couple months.

76584[/snapback]

Couple of Q's

At certian time its a good idea to have the injecters cleaned, alot depends though....  Used some fule injector cleaner a couple months ago

Now that I think if it I have noticed a loss of power the past couple months.

76584[/snapback]

Is it the small 4 banger, 151? or the 231 v 6. The 4 banger had more probles with their fuel injectors than the 6. But, either way, If I had to take a stab at it. Fuel line, injectors, fuel tank(crud). To me it doesnt sound like tranny, I hope for you its not. Get two opinons. Dont know if I helped. Good luck buddy ;)

The following is extreme sarcasm:

Course, there's is one more option. I could give you my phone number and you could back the car up to the phone for me to take a listen to? :P:P:P:lol: