Bills vs Ravens

marck

I was reviewing the team statistics thru last Sunday's games and found some interesting numbers and wanted to share my thoughts with the board.

1. Baltimore thru 5 games with Jamal Lewis has averaged 28:39 per game of ball possession, the Bills 30:46

Assessment: Without Jamel Lewis I can't see the Ravens being able to control the clock and even with him they have not been able to do it. I believe Baltimore will step away from their run first/run second and then throw if necessary gameplan and try to open up the Bills defense with early down passing. The Bills need to remember that Boller is somewhat mobile and can get the corner so up the middle pressure, outside containment are critical factors. Also try and disguise coverages so that he makes mistakes and throws into populated zones. The Ravens will have to pass to open up the running game and if Boller makes early mistakes the Bills can capitalize, get good field position and get up by 10 points early in the game

2. Terrell Suggs has 5 of the Ravens 14 sacks.

Assessment: Buffalo must use a 2nd blocker to contain Terrell Suggs and ensure he does not descend on Bledsoe forcing fumbles and balls tipped which lead to interceptions. Therefore the need will be to structure a gameplan to provide a primary blocker and then chip Suggs to keep him away from Bledsoe. The Ravens defensive line does not excell in generating pass rush pressure up the middle and most of it comes from linebacker and secondary blitzes. Keep a blocker in the backfield on the weak side of the formation and if a blitz is discovered then keep the TE in to pick up one side and a back for the other and run three man patterns. This may lead to more punts but will keep us away from costly turnovers

3. Ravens are dangerous on Special Teams

Assessment: This becomes the biggest concern of the game. Ravens have an excellent directional punter who has success in punting to the sidelines and inside the 20. They also have explosive kick returners and a devestating ability to block punts. Field position as always will be critical and it becomes imperitive that the defense keep the Ravens inside their 45 yard line and to ensure we are in max protect on punts. If the Bills can keep the Ravens from scoring off special teams their offense cannot put up more then 13 points against the Bills defense, and I think 13 is really stretching it without Lewis or Heap.

Looking for everyones thatoghts on this post.

Nice job marck. I think you hit the nail on the head.

As I've said in another thread, our D will do fine against their O. It's our O against their D that will make or break this game.

One minor point, or opinion really, is that I think the ST's will be a wash when it's all said and done.

As I've said in another thread, our D will do fine against their O.  It's our O against their D that will make or break this game.

76132[/snapback]

If by 'fine' you mean that our D will create turnovers against Boller, I agree.

But no turnovers = no win IMO.

Very good post. All valid points. Welcome aboard.

Ok I haven't added anything to the thread so here goes. I still fear for our protection up the middle because although their DL may not penetrate well, Their LB's are speedy and have an very good attack mentality.

2.  Terrell Suggs has 5 of the Ravens 14 sacks.

Assessment: Buffalo must use a 2nd blocker to contain Terrell Suggs and ensure he does not descend on Bledsoe forcing fumbles and balls tipped which lead to interceptions.

76110[/snapback]

I agree with all your points, but this is the one that sticks out to me (and the one that worries me the most).

There is a reason Terrell Suggs gets so many sacks and tackles. If it were as easy as putting another blocker on him, it would be done by everyone. The problem is, if you are doubling up on Suggs, you are opening yourself up for an all out attack from Lewis. I don't care if it is 1st and 10, 3rd and inches, or 4th and 50...you HAVE to have two guys on Lewis. There just aren't enough blockers on the field to cover for all of Baltimore's blitzers.

It will be a tough day for the O-line/FB/TE's. We will see if they are up for the challenge.

I'll probably keep saying this all week, but this in MY mind, this game will be won or lost by our WR's. They must, must, must make those catches that they have been dropping all season. If Bledsoe gets the ball anywhere near them, they have to catch the damn thing. Seems simple enough, but so far every WR on this team has had a bad case of the dropsies. I'll also add that they have to run the right routes and make the right sight adjustments. Something else they seem to be having trouble with.

Bledsoe will get rid of the ball as fast as he can, as he has been doing all year, but if the WR's are dropping catchable balls and costing us valuable field position, this game goes to Baltimore.

I worried about the run game. Their run D is pretty good. About 12th in yardage given up and they have not allowed a run over 20 yds. Their pass D ranking is even higher so if we cant run and we depend on Bledsoe to win it we are in trouble. IF we cant run that is. Lots of sacks and a couple picks are in Drews future. Im hoping we use the more powerful Willis and grind out enough tough yards to keep them off our qb.

Great points all. Cool to be talking football again, isn't it? :lol:

I think the Dolphouts were a good defense to practice against for this week's game. We had to take Jason Taylor out of the game entirely, and will have to take Suggs out this week with the same chip block scheme.

Our ST's are getting better by the week. McGee looks good. Moorman will finally make ProBowl this year. Stamer's a beast, and Kevin Thomas is learning as he goes. I too think it'll be a wash there.

Drew gained confidence with that win, and his play has been better. I like the line play especially with Tucker and Price in there, and MW/Price handled one of the best DE's in the business last week.