Coaches Pre-Season Poll is Out

bartshan-83

Ah, the annual moment where a meaningless and dreadfully inaccurate ranking is released that serves no other purpose but to entertain fans and unfairly advantage/disadvantage teams for their final rankings weeks before the first ball is snapped.

2008 Coaches Poll #1

Notables:

- Georgia wins the 3 way battle for #1.

- USC and Ohio St. split #2

- WVU hanging in there at #8...interesting

- Bama, South Carolina, Utah, Rutgers and FSU first five outside the top 25

- ND #43...lovin it.

- Michigan #24 seems a bit high considering the square peg/round hole they will fight all year

Thoughts?

I think FSU is appropriately ranked. IF anything, their past reputation let them be ranked slightly higher than they should be. That being said, based on our schedule, i think 9-3 is a realistic expectation for us.

As usual, Clemson is overrated. They'll start 5-0 or 6-1, and choke down the stretch finishing 9-3 or 8-4.

Link

The preseason rankings matter more in college football than any sport in America. Because, inevitably, where you start often determines how high you're able to finish. Or, worst of all, if you start somewhere outside the top ten and two teams in front of you never lose, you're screwed. Fairness, equitability, reason: thy name is college football.

Still, my alma mater managed to get 9 votes.

The system is seriously incestuously FUBAR, tho, and everyone knows it and doesn't do a thing about it, year in and year out.

Fuggin Ohio St.

Seriously. If they manage to steal one in the the LA Coliseum in week 2 (which is possible as USC might be unsteady at QB, at least early on) they will likely waltz through the Big Ten again, stay in the top-2 all year, and get pounded in the title game by a faster, aggressive, more athletic team.

Ah, the annual moment where a meaningless and dreadfully inaccurate ranking is released that serves no other purpose but to entertain fans and unfairly advantage/disadvantage teams for their final rankings weeks before the first ball is snapped.

2008 Coaches Poll #1

Notables:

- Georgia wins the 3 way battle for #1.

- USC and Ohio St. split #2

- WVU hanging in there at #8...interesting

- Bama, South Carolina, Utah, Rutgers and FSU first five outside the top 25

- ND #43...lovin it.

- Michigan #24 seems a bit high considering the square peg/round hole they will fight all year

Thoughts?

Being a Michigan fan I am surprised that they are ranked that high. The Wolverines lost a lot of players on both sides of the ball, and as far as I know they still do not have a clear cut choice on who will be their starting QB.

However, I think that all the prognosticators out there predicting gloom and doom for the maize & blue, might be in for a bit of a surprise.

Seriously. If they manage to steal one in the the LA Coliseum in week 2 (which is possible as USC might be unsteady at QB, at least early on) they will likely waltz through the Big Ten again, stay in the top-2 all year, and get pounded in the title game by a faster, aggressive, more athletic team.

Whatever do you mean?

:thumbsup:<_<

:rolleyes:

Being a Michigan fan I am surprised that they are ranked that high. The Wolverines lost a lot of players on both sides of the ball, and as far as I know they still do not have a clear cut choice on who will be their starting QB.

However, I think that all the prognosticators out there predicting gloom and doom for the maize & blue, might be in for a bit of a surprise.

Michigan is going to have a rough go of it this year. RR just does not have the players to fit his system yet. It was a big hit to his program when that qb choose to sit on the bench this year for Tressel rather then going over to Ann Arbor & start right away. It goes to show you just how far that program has fallen behind Ohio State since Tressel has become head coach over in Columbus. RR will get that program turned around, because he is a top notch coach & knows what he is doing, but it is going to take time. Kinda like taking one step back to move 2 steps forward. I do not see Michigan winning anymore then 7 games this year & could see them winning as few as 4. I would not be surprised if they got beat by Utah in the opener.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.