Brett Farve and the Packers

K-Gun10

I just want to say this is F*ing rediculous I see the pack offered him 20 million for 10 years to stay retired just because they dont want him there and Farve practicing with High Schoolers, and if Favre does show up he will be running his own routes PATHETIC IMO.

ESPN link

I seem to remember some kind of deal like that with Jim Kelly too (tho, a much smaller sum --- $1M lump payment iirc).

I wonder what the rules are on such a payment re: the salary cap. It seems like a way to undermine it in some cases, ala, 'We'll give you this contract that states you'll get $40M from the team after you retire if you take less money now and help us stay under the cap.'

ESPN link

I wonder what the rules are on such a payment re: the salary cap. It seems like a way to undermine it in some cases, ala, 'We'll give you this contract that states you'll get $40M after you retire if you take less money now and help us stay under the cap.' I seem to remember some kind of deal like that with Jim Kelly too (tho, a much smaller sum --- $1M lump payment iirc).

He's not on the roster, so salary cap doesn't apply to the payments after retirement as long as the deal was reached after he retired.

I have not seen anything yet on the salary cap issue......bringing Favre back would have to kill their cap figure, but no one seems to be looking at it from this angle. Can they even bring him back? The press keeps talking about GB's options as (i) release him outright; (ii) trade him; or (iii) have him serve as backup QB. I can't see that they would have the cap space for option 3.

Anyone seen any real numbers???

I have not seen anything yet on the salary cap issue......bringing Favre back would have to kill their cap figure, but no one seems to be looking at it from this angle. Can they even bring him back? The press keeps talking about GB's options as (i) release him outright; (ii) trade him; or (iii) have him serve as backup QB. I can't see that they would have the cap space for option 3.

Anyone seen any real numbers???

Mort reported yesterday on SportCenter that Green Bay was $30 million under the cap so they would have no problem adding Woogies' salary

Mort reported yesterday on SportCenter that Green Bay was $30 million under the cap so they would have no problem adding Woogies' salary

With the way the cap has increased the last couple of years, it is almost irrelevant at this point. Years ago having $30M of cap space to start the season was unheard of.

Things could get interesting ... Jeff Garcia was carted off the field in Tampa this morning.

I also heard Ben Maller (Fox Sports Radio) report that the Jets have been secretly trying to gauge the interest there is out there, for Chad Pennington. Maller said they had already spoken with the Vikings, and another AFC team (maybe the Ravens?).

I also heard Ben Maller (Fox Sports Radio) report that the Jets have been secretly trying to gauge the interest there is out there, for Chad Pennington. Maller said they had already spoken with the Vikings, and another AFC team (maybe the Ravens?).

All the reports I've read out of Jets camp have Pennington performing head and shoulders above Clemens. The Jets would be lost w/o Pennington.

Therefore, they should do it!

All the reports I've read out of Jets camp have Pennington performing head and shoulders above Clemens. The Jets would be lost w/o Pennington.

Therefore, they should do it!

I wouldn't read too deep into those comments as being a positive for Chad, I think it could be more of a negative for Clemons. Chads arm strength is very questionable, and he is a mediocre QB at best right now. Favre would be an upgrade over either of the 2

If I was the Viking and the Jets called me about Pennington, I would ask which one, Chad or Ty. They both wouldn't be much of an upgrade over what the viking already have (atleast theres potential with what the Vikings have) and of course, atleast Ty could be put to good use building a new stadium for them to play in, or atleast better roads/bridges to the stadium