We are now on final approach...

WWVaBeach

weird, but just another day at Hartsfield-Jackson

I hate that airport. Hate it. The lines are atrocious, the crowds are terrible, the parking is Stojan, and the security is annoying. Buffalo, La Guardia, San Jose... all gems as compared to that Hartsfield monster. The damn place is even crowded in the middle of the night.

I hate that airport. Hate it. The lines are atrocious, the crowds are terrible, the parking is Stojan, and the security is annoying. Buffalo, La Guardia, San Jose... all gems as compared to that Hartsfield monster. The damn place is even crowded in the middle of the night.

ehh, its busy but i havent had many problems traveling. and i travel a lot.

even when the security line is doubled back through the rotunda, i havent spent more than 15 minutes in line.

the parking sucks i guess but given that MARTA runs right into the airport, i always just take that.

for as busy as that airport is, it could be much worse.

even when the security line is doubled back through the rotunda, i havent spent more than 15 minutes in line.

the parking sucks i guess but given that MARTA runs right into the airport, i always just take that.

A tip I heard on my morning radio...there are some questions about security with the check-in kiosks. The recommendation was to use a frequent flyer card instead of your credit card.

A tip I heard on my morning radio...there are some questions about security with the check-in kiosks. The recommendation was to use a frequent flyer card instead of your credit card.

hmm, i could see that. good tip.

i always fly airtran whenever possible. and they allow you to check-in online and print your boarding pass within 24hours of your flight. so im usually all checked in and ready to rock almost a full day beforehand.

hmm, i could see that. good tip.

i always fly airtran whenever possible. and they allow you to check-in online and print your boarding pass within 24hours of your flight. so im usually all checked in and ready to rock almost a full day beforehand.

I believe all the airlines let you do that nowadays.

Same reason I never use standalone ATMs that you see in the drugstores, at the stadium, etc.

Same reason I never use standalone ATMs that you see in the drugstores, at the stadium, etc.

Location may indicate risk, but that doesn't mean branch locations are immune. I had my number stolen from a skimming device attached to an ATM inside my credit union:

http://seattle.metblogs.com/2008/02/02/tro...-at-first-tech/

I'd drop these clowns in an instant, but they manage all the ATM locations at work... so unless I want to pay hefty fees I am screwed.

Same for the ones in this or that bar. They have to be up in the list of ATM toxicity. An establishment I habituated a few years ago had one, along with a small "pony keg" window front and a Lottery terminal.

The lotto crowd spilled into the bar to get cash out of the ATM ($3 fee) then trot back to the dream machine. The bar owner once asked me - reliable barfly that I was - if I'd like a job manning the lotto device.

No thanks - they has stools so a Moms Mably could sit and rattle off 50 numbers and change them ten times. :rolleyes:

Last time I was there, they canned a previously defrocked cop clerk for chiseling on scratch-offs. They ended up eating something like 800 bucks.

That bar also got stung with scratch-off payouts. Their dizzy night barmaids, with an eye to fat tips (knock-out gals for the obvious reasons) were cashing bogus tix after their State of Ohio Official Money-Making machine was off for the night.

Another scam going on was some patrons working a rip on other patrons - they would show the mark an obvious 20 buck winner, and plead for 10 bucks 'cause they needed another drink. The marks were happy to double their money...until next day when they found out they were stuck with an already cashed-out ticket. :P

I really can't do crowds. I can do sporting events and concerts, but that's about it. When it comes to malls and airports and the like, I tend to feel pretty "squeezed in." I stay away from Hartsfield for the same reason I stay away from the mall in December. Hell, I even feel that way when a hockey game lets out.

I don't believe I've ever had a wait as short as 15 minutes. I've spent 45+ in that line more than once. If I were to take MARTA, I'd have to drive to the Cobb park and ride and take the bus on down. That's just as much of a hassle as fighting for a parking spot at the airport itself.

Buffalo is my kind of airport!

All in all, I'd rather drive than take a plane, regardless of distance.

I hate to fly to begin with. I've flown into O'Hare before, and once had to spend the night there b/c my flight coming out of Fort Lauderdale was delayed due to weather conditions in Chicago, and I missed my connection back to Cleveland.

As for Hartsfield/Jackson, I will never ever fly into Atlanta. Ever.

I hate to fly to begin with. I've flown into O'Hare before, and once had to spend the night there b/c my flight coming out of Fort Lauderdale was delayed due to weather conditions in Chicago, and I missed my connection back to Cleveland.

Chicago is the absolute worst. I don't think I've ever flown through there without a problem. One time my flight to NY was canceled due to bad weather in San Francisco. :P At least they were nice enough to bus us out to some flea bag motel in an industrial area right next to the highway where scumbags where smashing bottles in the parking lot until 2:00 and them roaming the halls for the rest of the night. :rolleyes: you United Airlines.

As for Hartsfield/Jackson, I will never ever fly into Atlanta. Ever.

You just listed the two that I avoid. Atlanta can be tough because they are such a big hub for overseas travel, but I do what I can to stay away. I refuse to fly into Chicago ever again. I have never once gone through that airport without a big delay, almost always causing me to miss a connecting flight. I've spent more or added time to my trip to keep away from that place.

Yeah ORD and ATL are horrible hubs. I fly non-stop whenever possible/feasible.

Decent alternatives are DFW (AA), IAH (CO), SLC (DL) and DEN (UA) during the summer. DFW, with its new trAAin behind security, is actually a pleasant place to connect through.

You just listed the two that I avoid. Atlanta can be tough because they are such a big hub for overseas travel, but I do what I can to stay away. I refuse to fly into Chicago ever again. I have never once gone through that airport without a big delay, almost always causing me to miss a connecting flight. I've spent more or added time to my trip to keep away from that place.

That's how I feel about Newark. Added $40 to a round-trip ticket to connect through Cleveland instead.

Yeah, Cleveland. Hopkins ain't bad.

Chicago is the absolute worst. I don't think I've ever flown through there without a problem. One time my flight to NY was canceled due to bad weather in San Francisco. :P At least they were nice enough to bus us out to some flea bag motel in an industrial area right next to the highway where scumbags where smashing bottles in the parking lot until 2:00 and them roaming the halls for the rest of the night. :rolleyes: you United Airlines.

I got stuck at O'Hare one night - got to the fleabag hotel at 1 am to find out it had FLOODED and the carpet was still wet. Would have made a scene but had to be BACK at the airport by 6 am and I didn't feel like fighting with the front desk.

Got stuck in Toronto another time - only slightly better. However good old American Airlines, there was an old lady in a wheelchair on that flight, they canceled it and said "well you can get a hotel voucher and a shuttle, have a nice life" and left this bewildered old thing there, closed the counter and left. I ended up wheeling the poor thing to the shuttle and then getting her back to the flight out the next day.

This plane must have been an older one that didn't have the "bathroom in use" indicator light - surely that would have been an indicator that there was a problem...not to mention the pissed off people in line for however long she was in there...but they are supposed to check those bathrooms before they land. And you know it's easy to open them from the outside, you jsut life the little ashtray-looking thingy and slide the latch....

Really haven't had a problem through ORD either way.

Closest I came was that I was late once from Buffalo to ORD because the plane was 2 hours late to Buffalo from down south. They finally told us to we needed to get on the plane and take off in 25 minutes or we would miss our slot at ORD (it was one of those 50 seaters). We made it with 5 minutes to spare. Got to the gate at ORD 10 minutes before my plane to St. Louis was scheduled to leave (I was going BUF-ORD - STL- SFO). Luckily it was only 4 gates away and I made it on that one as they were announcing the last call. Had a 2.5 hour layover at St. Louis to eat and relax.