My take on Trent vs. JP

As you can tell by my number of posts I don't contribute alot to this forum but I do read it everyday. After reading endless discussions and arguements about JP vs. Trent, I'd like to offer you all my views on this subject after which you can either agree or "tear me a new one" LOL.

Trent Edwards- What we know for sure is he received a ringing endorsement from the late Bill Walsh. That's a bold statement! I watched an NFL Films show just today on Bill Walsh and the hand he had in drafting Joe Montana when all the other teams in the league weren't even considering him until at least the sixth round. I'm pretty sure that Walsh is a much better talent evaluator than any of us. The kid did look great for a rookie, we all know he has a quick release and he's obviously very smart and can process info quickly. Remember what Flutie said, "the QB position isn't about size, its about decision-making" I think Edwards' upside is tremendous especially after seeing that he came to OTA's with added muscle. This tells me that he figured out his own shortcomings ie: smaller frame which led to injuries and not having the rep as a deep ball passing threat. I can foresee a very bright future for this kid IF he can progress the same way we've seen him do so far.

JP Losman- What we know for sure is he is probably the most accurate deep ball passer we've seen since the days of Jimbo. That too is a bold statement! I don't feel that JP is nearly as smart a QB as most of the greats, but what hurts him the most is he doesn't appear to be mentally as tough as he needs to be in order to be successful. Every press conference I've ever seen him in he appears like he is always trying to convince you that he knows what he is talking about but that he himself doesn't believe the words. Don't get me wrong, I like this guy and I believe his greatest successes in the NFL would come as a very good backup. After all, what's wrong with being a Frank Reich, We all love that guy for what he did for the organization, don't we? I do have to take issue with some of you who state that JP regresssed in 07, I think it was the offence that regressed under Steve Fairchild in 07 and should Trent go down with an injury this year, I think a few of you might be surprised at how well JPL might look in another system under another co-ordinator, one who actually played the position of quarterback!

Go Bills!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you can tell by my number of posts I don't contribute alot to this forum but I do read it everyday. After reading endless discussions and arguements about JP vs. Trent, I'd like to offer you all my views on this subject after which you can either agree or "tear me a new one" LOL.

Trent Edwards- What we know for sure is he received a ringing endorsement from the late Bill Walsh. That's a bold statement! I watched an NFL Films show just today on Bill Walsh and the hand he had in drafting Joe Montana when all the other teams in the league weren't even considering him until at least the sixth round. I'm pretty sure that Walsh is a much better talent evaluator than any of us. The kid did look great for a rookie, we all know he has a quick release and he's obviously very smart and can process info quickly. Remember what Flutie said, "the QB position isn't about size, its about decision-making" I think Edwards' upside is tremendous especially after seeing that he came to OTA's with added muscle. This tells me that he figured out his own shortcomings ie: smaller frame which led to injuries and not having the rep as a deep ball passing threat. I can foresee a very bright future for this kid IF he can progress the same way we've seen him do so far.

JP Losman- What we know for sure is he is probably the most accurate deep ball passer we've seen since the days of Jimbo. That too is a bold statement! I don't feel that JP is nearly as smart a QB as most of the greats, but what hurts him the most is he doesn't appear to be mentally as tough as he needs to be in order to be successful. Every press conference I've ever seen him in he appears like he is always trying to convince you that he knows what he is talking about but that he himself doesn't believe the words. Don't get me wrong, I like this guy and I believe his greatest successes in the NFL would come as a very good backup. After all, what's wrong with being a Frank Reich, We all love that guy for what he did for the organization, don't we? I do have to take issue with some of you who state that JP regresssed in 07, I think it was the offence that regressed under Steve Fairchild in 07 and should Trent go down with an injury this year, I think a few of you might be surprised at how well JPL might look in another system under another co-ordinator, one who actually played the position of quarterback!

Go Bills!

this is a dead issue. Trent edwards is the better qb. Its not a debate. the coaches know, the players know, and anyone with a brain at camp can see it. Edwards has come back bigger,stronger and better. He looks much more confident and no longer has that awe-shucks bs. I feel for Losman but hey he had his shot and if he could play he would have found a way in these last 4-plus years.

this is a dead issue. Trent edwards is the better qb. Its not a debate. the coaches know, the players know, and anyone with a brain at camp can see it. Edwards has come back bigger,stronger and better. He looks much more confident and no longer has that awe-shucks bs. I feel for Losman but hey he had his shot and if he could play he would have found a way in these last 4-plus years.

That sums it up. Regardless of the laundry list of excuses some people are willing to offer in JP"s defense, he was given much more rope than he deserved.

The fact is that this first round pick botched his opportunity so badly that a 3rd round rookie pushed him aside.

You forgot to mention that we know Trent Edwards is our starter. JP is not.

No wonder this guy does post much. :cry:

There's no need to be a wise guy when someone puts forth such a well thought out post regarding our much debated QBs.

It's funny how an entire offseason can make many fans forget how bad Edwards played once the opposing defenses had film on him. Dead issue? Hardly.

If Edwards doesn't learn how to burn defenses, this issue WILL come back to the forefront. If Losman was so awful and Edwards was so great, why were their stats nearly identical last year? You guys crack me up.

It's funny how an entire offseason can make many fans forget how bad Edwards played once the opposing defenses had film on him. Dead issue? Hardly.

If Edwards doesn't learn how to burn defenses, this issue WILL come back to the forefront. If Losman was so awful and Edwards was so great, why were their stats nearly identical last year? You guys crack me up.

You answered your own question. A rookie qb and a first round pick in his 4th season shouldn't have similar stats. That's why the word poise became so overused. Jp looked harried, confused, and disorganized. When TE came in he was cool, calm, and collected.

I won't argue about TE's last 3 games. I was disappointed in those performances. What I am hoping for is that TE uses last year as a learning experience and improves his game. I have faith that he is intelligent and determined enough to do that. I like what I see so far in the muscle gain and he appears to carry himself with more confidence this year, coming in as the starter. We'll know more once he gets into the preseason games.

As for JP, with the pressure off, he's got to do the best he can and be ready to step in. This season is an audition. He will definitely get another shot next year with another team. Vinny Testaverde stepped off of the couch to start for the panthers last season, so a former 1st round pick will have plenty of teams lining up for his services.

Is it me or does it seem JP gets the opportunity to throw deeper in camp practice then Edwards or is this QB choice..? I assume the plays are called for each of them when they are in there and this isn't just pitch and catch..

Something about having that deep ball in your arsenal that is so appealing..

you are comparing a rookie(9games) to a forth year qb(30-something starts). Thats whats funny. This is about 2008 and beyond. Losman had his shot. I'll take a guy with something between his ears anyday. Compare their games against Miami.

Compare Losmans first season (after soaking it in for 18months)2005-to TE in 07.

I watched edwards outplay Manning in Dec. If not for Lee Evans drop that might be a diff. game.

Both were screwed by coaching, supporting cast, d, etc.

Just as the NFL gets a book on how to stop any player/coach-(a flyer in s fairchilds case) Give TE an offseason to improve. We'll see.

Is it me or does it seem JP gets the opportunity to throw deeper in camp practice then Edwards or is this QB choice..? I assume the plays are called for each of them when they are in there and this isn't just pitch and catch..

Something about having that deep ball in your arsenal that is so appealing..

I'd say a little of both. Clearly they called a majority of plays that had the deep ball option for JP, and he took his shots in the practices I saw. On the other hand, they seem to call more runs when Trent is in there, but he did hit some deeper routes, but often when there was a chance to go deep, he checked down and hit the underneath 7-10 yd route. From what I could hear from the coaching staff, they were pleased with his conservative approach. I got the distinct impression that they wanted him to get the short stuff down first, and then move on to the longer stuff.

There's little doubt that right now, JP has the timing of the deep ball down better than Trent. But we are talking about something that is easily corrected and I assume should be able to be worked out over the next week or so, especially with Reed. I want to be clear: arm strength is not the reason Trent missed some of the deep routes. There were many occasions where he zipped a ball out in the flat from a three step drop, or he zipped it to Lee Evans on a deeper than normal out route(I don't know the exact name of those). He simply put too much air under the ball on about 25% of the deep balls he threw. Based on what I saw live at the Ravens game, vs. what I saw on Friday, clearly whatever he did in the off-season has worked because he just looks better, whether its his feet, his throws, his "poise", whatever, he looks better. There is also little doubt that JP can get the job done throwing the ball deep/intermediate routes, and right now he appears to be better at that.

On the other hand, there's also little doubt, for me anyway, that Trent has a better command of the offense on the whole than JP. Trent made 1 mistake the entire day on Friday that I saw, other than the too much air thing. He moved well, he was decisive with the ball, and his accuracy was nothing short of impressive. Many many times the D was right there and he had a 2-3 foot window to hit. He hit them every time, except the one, even on timing routes. JP, well, like I said in my report, he looked like JP. I'd say he seemed a little more comfortable out there, but on the whole, there were far too many instances where the ball wasn't delivered where it needed to be, even though he wasn't feeling any pressure from the D line.

JP made about 5 clear mistakes...some that would have really hurt, to Trent's one, and I think that's what's got him as our #2 QB. There's no doubt he is serviceable, he just doesn't "look as right" as Edwards does out there.

do you post with your game used jp losman jock wrapped firmly around your nose, or does the man-scent just get you so hot and bothered you can't type?

While I'm no longer a supporter of Losman as the starter it's hard to disagree with your first statement.

While I'm no longer a supporter of Losman as the starter it's hard to disagree with your first statement.

Speaking of film, was there ever any real confirmation that opposing D's had figured out Edwards was telegraphing plays by

some motion prior to the snap? Was that an urban myth, or was that actually happening?

Edwards is the starter, so there is no "controversy" or question as to that. Jauron & Co. have opted for that.

But to say that without a doubt he's better is one of the dumbest statements that anyone here could ever make and this season will bear that out.

Having said that, neither appears to be the answer at QB for us and with JP wanting out of here anyway, it will leave the team high and dry and we can finally tag those responsible and hopefully move on from this and get this team turned around although I doubt that will happen too. But Jauron, Levy (now gone), and our illustrious personnel department that has laid far more goose eggs than hatched swans should be fired. Naturally that won't happen though, not in Buffalo.

Regardless, to say that JP "got four seasons to prove himself" is asinine. He had one season, '06.

In '04, his rookie year, he was injured early in the season and never started or played.

In '05 he was jockeyed in and out with Holcomb all season. He started four games, didn't play well in his first few games in the NFL as all but a rookie, got yanked, then went back in for a few games and got yanked again and in spite of playing no worse than Edwards did last year and with a worse surrounding cast, was yanked again late in the season in favor of Holcomb, another message board hero for some.

In '06 JP finally started. He put up 17 TDs, had 9 INTs, rushed for 1 more TD, and had 10 games with ratings of higher than 84, six higher than 90, and 4 higher than 100.

With JP under center the Bills lost five games by 1 point twice, 2 points once, and 3 points twice with the offense scoring 10 points (@ NE), 17 points (@ Detroit), 9 points/3 FGs (@ Indy), 21 points (SD), and 29 points (Tennessee) for an average of over 17 points with obviously some very good defenses in there.

Last year the Bills lost one game under Edwards game by fewer than 8 points and in that game the offense scored 0 TDs and had only one FG for 3 points total, at home on Monday Night.

Season contrasts of JP in his only starting season v. Edwards last year:

TDs

JP:

3, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0

Edwards:

4, 2, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0

Rating

JP

Edwards

Completion %

JP

75.0%

71.9%

68.4%

68.4%

66.7%

66.7%

65.2%

64.0%

61.8%

61.1%

57.9%

57.6%

57.1%

56.8%

53.3%

51.9%

Edwards

78.6%

74.2%

66.7%

61.1%

53.3%

52.4%

50.0%

47.8%

39.4%

34.6%

Yards

JP

Edwards

YPA

JP

Edwards

Other Information

Under Edwards last season the team's offense averaged 1.1 offensive TDs/game with or w/o the first New England game that Edwards played in with JP coming out for injury on the first drive. The team's offense averaged 13.4 points per game otherwise w/o that same NE game, 12.8 ppg with it.

Without the one good Miami game that Edwards had the team averaged 3/4-ths of a TD/game offensively and 11.2 ppg offensively otherwise.

Under Losman in '06, the team's offense averaged 1-3/4-ths TDs/game, a full TD/game more offensively and 16.6 ppg offensively otherwise.

Losman personally passed or ran for 1.25 TDs/game in '06. Edwards personally passed or ran for .9 TDs/game last year.

In his first four games overall and first four starts overall, the ones that JP got in '05 after being yanked in favor of the new regime's boy-brought-on Holcomb, the team got 1 passing TD and 2 rushing TDs. (both McGahee)

In Edwards first four games overall the team got 1 passing TD and 3 rushing TDs. (all Lynch) In Edwards' first four starts the team got the same 1 passing TD and 2 rushing TDs that it got under Losman while JP had that same crappy line mentioned next and without Lynch.

So for those saying what you said, while in your minds it might be true, there certainly is a debate and the only way that someone could reasonably say what you said is to accompany it by saying or implying that the stats, data, and facts don't matter. For anyone considering only the facts of ball movement, efficiency, and scoring then JP has done more on a per-game basis and matching up game-by-game than Edwards has no matter how you slice it. But hey, for those that want to say that they enjoy seeing the team put up fewer 1st downs, converting fewer 3rd downs, getting fewer points and yards and generally seeing the offense do less but enjoy watching the way in which it is done, then great, you can say that. But what you cannot say without any certainty whatsoever and in the glaring midst of facts proving otherwise, is that this team's offense performed better under Edwards than it has under Losman. And Edwards undoubtedly had a better OL too.

Now Edwards may be better this year, but we don't know that right now. So this is pure speculation at best, foolishness otherwise.

Throw in the fact that JP didn't have Lynch in '06 or Dockery or Walker whom you will also suggest are all that, but even so, they are better than JP's starting line that consisted Peters just learning the LT position with Mike Gandy in there otherwise to start the season, Gandy and Reyes at LG, Villarrial and Preston at RG and Pennington at RT. Although I'm sure you'll rant on about how that line was just fine now or how McGahee is better than Lynch.

This past season, JP got the nod early with Lynch just learning the ropes and with newbies Dockery and Walker just playing their first games on this line. And Lynch also wasn't in there in weeks 11 and 12 against NE and Jax, two of the league's best Ds last year, yet in spite of that the offense under JP averaged 1.5 offensive TDs/game contrasted with Edwards 1.1 and against some of the worst Ds in the league too. JP's offense in those two games put up about the same number of offensive points, and more yards than Edwards averaged on the season with Anthony Thomas as the starter.

So say what you want, and this is no particular endorsement of JP, but there is no way in hell that anyone can make an argument that the offense performed better under Edwards if the facts are used and you can slice it any way that you would like to.

Edwards is the starter, so there is no "controversy" or question as to that. Jauron & Co. have opted for that.

But to say that without a doubt he's better is one of the dumbest statements that anyone here could ever make and this season will bear that out.

Having said that, neither appears to be the answer at QB for us and with JP wanting out of here anyway, it will leave the team high and dry and we can finally tag those responsible and hopefully move on from this and get this team turned around although I doubt that will happen too. But Jauron, Levy (now gone), and our illustrious personnel department that has laid far more goose eggs than hatched swans should be fired. Naturally that won't happen though, not in Buffalo.

Regardless, to say that JP "got four seasons to prove himself" is asinine. He had one season, '06.

In '04, his rookie year, he was injured early in the season and never started or played.

In '05 he was jockeyed in and out with Holcomb all season. He started four games, didn't play well in his first few games in the NFL as all but a rookie, got yanked, then went back in for a few games and got yanked again and in spite of playing no worse than Edwards did last year and with a worse surrounding cast, was yanked again late in the season in favor of Holcomb, another message board hero for some.

In '06 JP finally started. He put up 17 TDs, had 9 INTs, rushed for 1 more TD, and had 10 games with ratings of higher than 84, six higher than 90, and 4 higher than 100.

With JP under center the Bills lost five games by 1 point twice, 2 points once, and 3 points twice with the offense scoring 10 points (@ NE), 17 points (@ Detroit), 9 points/3 FGs (@ Indy), 21 points (SD), and 29 points (Tennessee) for an average of over 17 points with obviously some very good defenses in there.

Last year the Bills lost one game under Edwards game by fewer than 8 points and in that game the offense scored 0 TDs and had only one FG for 3 points total, at home on Monday Night.

Compare Losman's INT/SACK/FUMBLE totals per attempt with Edwards'. The "badness" ratio I call it.

Losman is an accident waiting to happen.

That isn't "chroise" or anything else: it's bad football.

:cry:

NOTE *** Value added POST!

FYI: For all you fans of the "chroise": http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...art=10&sa=N

Yeah, last year they were comparable which doesn't say much for Schonert, our QB coach now offensive coordinator, given the significant dropoff in JP's production from '06, call me crazy, or for the coaching otherwise.

After that, there really wasn't a notable difference although on average both personal and team scoring was higher on a per-game basis.

Otherwise Edwards started 5 home games and 3 away games with the tougher teams and Ds at home. (NE and Giants)

JP started 3 home games and 4 road games with the tougher teams and Ds on the road. (Jax and Pitt)

JP started the first NE game on the road but Edwards played just about all of the game. JP started the home game vs. NE in which the team was significantly better offensively and the D was significantly worse allowing scores on every single drive.

Either way, outside of the Miami game Edwards sucked. Teams now have film of him and I can't imagine that it even remotely concerns any DC in the league. They're gonna bring it fast and furious, and while Edwards may respond favorably, I wouldn't put down a plug nickel that he does.

Speaking of film, was there ever any real confirmation that opposing D's had figured out Edwards was telegraphing plays by

some motion prior to the snap? Was that an urban myth, or was that actually happening?

I recall one of the announcers stating that on run plays he held his hands lower to the ground before the snap or something like that.

I'm sure it's a problem that has been addressed and corrected.

I have two concerns with Edwards, durability and ability to play in the cold. When he injured himself against the Jets last year I don't recall there ever being an "official" diagnosis as to what happened, all that was reported was that he had trouble gripping the ball. He also should have been coached out of wearing that god-awful glove, it seemed to strongly affect his normally solid accuracy.

Sit and wait, that's really all that any of us can do right now. Hopefully the rookie cobwebs have been worked out.

Compare Losman's INT/SACK/FUMBLE totals per attempt with Edwards'. The "badness" ratio I call it.

Losman is an accident waiting to happen.

That isn't "chroise" or anything else: it's bad football.

:cry:

NOTE *** Value added POST!

FYI: For all you fans of the "chroise": http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=c...art=10&sa=N

Oh yeah, you're right!

My bad.

I forgot that this year game winners will finally be determined by who has fewer sacks at the end of the game. Great news and rule change for us.

Perhaps for next season we can suggest to Goodell that the league use style points for poise as bonus points too.

Very few people argue that Losman is that good. I know that I certainly don't. He has only a fair command of the short game which is where you want your bread buttered in the passing game. A deep-ball game is not something that you want to have to rely on heading into the playoffs.

But this notion that Edwards is hands down better or even better marginally is utterly and equally if not even more asinine.

Like I say, we're screwed either way, but too few fans want to see the changes occur that's causing it all to force the team to make a change.

...Regardless, to say that JP "got four seasons to prove himself" is asinine. He had one season, '06. ...

Unbelievable. Your naivete is nothing short of amazing as evidenced by your inclusion of ONLY regular season games as the entire body of work with which JP has had to prove his case. You conveniently forget elements that coaches, scouts, and other personnel people feel are very important as well.

JP has had 4 full mini-camps, OTAs, training camps and pre-seasons (with the exception of his rookie season of which he only missed 7 weeks and was STILL around the classroom and running the opponent's O when he got healthy). Not to mention countless hours in the classrooms with his coaches. EVERY SINGLE SNAP HE TOOK during all those mini-camps, OTAs, training camps and pre-season and regular season games IS TAPED for evaluation. When the coaches evaluate each and every snap they have something none of us have when making that evaluation: the CONTEXT of the playcall and the taped EXECUTION of EVERY PLAYER INVOLVED IN THE PLAY on both sides of the ball.

So go ahead and keep on insisting that '06 was JP's only chance in the league. He's got a FAR bigger body of work available for evaluation than just the 16 games you keep saying he's had.

GO BILLS!!!

Unbelievable. Your naivete is nothing short of amazing as evidenced by your inclusion of ONLY regular season games as the entire body of work with which JP has had to prove his case. You conveniently forget elements that coaches, scouts, and other personnel people feel are very important as well.

JP has had 4 full mini-camps, OTAs, training camps and pre-seasons (with the exception of his rookie season of which he only missed 7 weeks and was STILL around the classroom and running the opponent's O when he got healthy). Not to mention countless hours in the classrooms with his coaches. EVERY SINGLE SNAP HE TOOK during all those mini-camps, OTAs, training camps and pre-season games IS TAPED for evaluation. When the coaches evaluate each and every snap they have something none of us have when making that evaluation: the CONTEXT of the playcall and the taped EXECUTION of EVERY PLAYER INVOLVED IN THE PLAY on both sides of the ball.

So go ahead and keep on insisting that '06 was JP's only chance in the league. He's got a FAR bigger body of work available for evaluation than just the 16 games you keep saying he's had.

GO BILLS!!!

Is this DOG on CAT crime?