Thoughts on Opening Day

john

When was the last time you were super excited after opening day? Super disappointed? What were your expectations for last years opening day? How about this year?

When the Bills beat the stuffing out of the Patriots, I think it was 31-0, I really thought Buffalo was going to make the playoffs and be a strong contender to win the AFC. Then two seasons ago when the Bills let the Patriots come back and steal the win after being behind for 3 quarters, I thought to myself, "here we go again, different season, same ole' Bills!".

Last season I was so excited to see what the Bills would do after hearing all the camp reports (especially the one from John Clayton) talking about how good JP looked running a more wide open attack. We all know how that panned out.

This season I am optimistic once again to see what Buffalo will showcase on Offense. For some reason I really do have a lot of confidence in Turk to open up the playbook and play to the strengths of this team. Just the fact that Farchild is gone is room for optimism I think. Also, the fact that everyone knows that a year in which the Bills backslide would doom Jauron, also provides me with some comfort. I think he will throw caution to the wind and not play so conservative.

Anyway, I'm just super amped for the season to get under way and I wanted to share these thoughts with you and hopefully some of you will respond.

Here is to a great season for the Bills and I know win, lose, or draw, we will all be wearing our hearts on our sleeves and supporting Buffalo no matte what happens on the field.

Go Bills!

John

When was the last time you were super excited after opening day? Super disappointed? What were your expectations for last years opening day? How about this year?

When the Bills beat the stuffing out of the Patriots, I think it was 31-0, I really thought Buffalo was going to make the playoffs and be a strong contender to win the AFC. Then two seasons ago when the Bills let the Patriots come back and steal the win after being behind for 3 quarters, I thought to myself, "here we go again, different season, same ole' Bills!".

Last season I was so excited to see what the Bills would do after hearing all the camp reports (especially the one from John Clayton) talking about how good JP looked running a more wide open attack. We all know how that panned out.

This season I am optimistic once again to see what Buffalo will showcase on Offense. For some reason I really do have a lot of confidence in Turk to open up the playbook and play to the strengths of this team. Just the fact that Farchild is gone is room for optimism I think. Also, the fact that everyone knows that a year in which the Bills backslide would doom Jauron, also provides me with some comfort. I think he will throw caution to the wind and not play so conservative.

Anyway, I'm just super amped for the season to get under way and I wanted to share these thoughts with you and hopefully some of you will respond.

Here is to a great season for the Bills and I know win, lose, or draw, we will all be wearing our hearts on our sleeves and supporting Buffalo no matte what happens on the field.

Go Bills!

John

Ohh well. Maybe there will be more enthusiasm on this board as the season draws nearer.

Go Buffalo!

Im very excited for this season opener. I think we will bury the seahawks, and our defense for the first time in a few years is something to get excited about. We are a young team with experiance at the same time. I am excited to see us spread the ball out with a more formidable second WR and I think we put this game away early, no more late comebacks in this one.

Bills 35 hawks 24

Oh Lynch 133 yards 2 TDs

Edwards 270 yds 2 tds 1 int

Evens 8 rec 95 yds 1 td

Hardy 4 rec 67 yds 1 td

McGee KR td 97 yards and 1 pick

Im very excited for this season opener. I think we will bury the seahawks, and our defense for the first time in a few years is something to get excited about. We are a young team with experiance at the same time. I am excited to see us spread the ball out with a more formidable second WR and I think we put this game away early, no more late comebacks in this one.

Bills 35 hawks 24

Oh Lynch 133 yards 2 TDs

Edwards 270 yds 2 tds 1 int

Evens 8 rec 95 yds 1 td

Hardy 4 rec 67 yds 1 td

McGee KR td 97 yards and 1 pick

I agree about the defense. Still not sure about the offense.

The Bills will come out humming on all cylinders opening day. Defense will shut down the run and force the C-hawks into throwing often (unsuccessfully). The offense will move the ball effectively and put it in the endzone.

Final score...

Bills 34

C-hawks 17

During the Broncos final drive last year, I was a freakin' moron! Cursing the team for not running on third down (as ML ran out of bounds the play earlier :thumbsup: ) while simultameously screamin to encourage the defense to stop 'em! As the winning FG sailed through the uprights with the clock at 0:00, I fell to the floor completely crushed. I felt the season was lost.

Mrs. #81 wouldn't watch another game with me the rest of the season.

This year, I don't know what to expect with Seattle. They've been better than the Bills in recent years, though we beat them there last time we played. Hasselbeck is a great QB. If they win, it will be 'expected'. But I don't think we're that far apart from them.

Now, if we start Favre at QB...

Go Bills!

John

If I had to name the three strongest (KNOWN) aspects of the Bills that Seattle will have to account for I'd say:

1. Special Team
  2. The Ground Attack
  3. Passing Defense

I can't, however, accurately name the best aspects of the Seahawks. If I had to guess I'd say:

1. QB Play
  2. Defensive Line
  3. Linebackers

Seattle likes to tout itself as the NFL's forgotten team (furthest distance to another NFL city, IIRC)- so I can't chalk up my ignorance to something not worth knowing anything about, but part of me believes if there was something to TRULY fear about the Seahawks (Shawn Alexander circa 3-4 years ago), I'd know about it.

Bills win, Bills win!

During the Broncos final drive last year, I was a freakin' moron! Cursing the team for not running on third down (as ML ran out of bounds the play earlier :thumbsup: ) while simultameously screamin to encourage the defense to stop 'em! As the winning FG sailed through the uprights with the clock at 0:00, I fell to the floor completely crushed. I felt the season was lost.

Mrs. #81 wouldn't watch another game with me the rest of the season.

This year, I don't know what to expect with Seattle. They've been better than the Bills in recent years, though we beat them there last time we played. Hasselbeck is a great QB. If they win, it will be 'expected'. But I don't think we're that far apart from them.

Now, if we start Favre at QB...

There was a point in the last 3 minutes of the Broncos game where the old "here we go again" thoughts caused me such frustration that I slammed my fist onto the bar top, spilling drinks into at least two laps.

How else do you think I got her to come to a Bills bar in the middle of the day on a Sunday for wings and beer!?

How disappointed will you guys be if the Bills play well and show marked improvement on both sides of the ball, but they just do miss making the playoffs. In other words, is anyone out there going into this season with a 'playoffs or BUST' mentality or are you ok with a team that plays hungry, shows much improvement, but just falls a bit short because of all of talented/loaded teams in the AFC?

Just about every team and fan goes into week one optimistic. Opening day in football is like no other sport, it's only the first game of the year, yet it's so important to get out to a good start. I am always amped for the Bills season opener, fortunately most have been home in recent years. Can't wait for the party to begin....GO BILLS!!!!

How disappointed will you guys be if the Bills play well and show marked improvement on both sides of the ball, but they just do miss making the playoffs. In other words, is anyone out there going into this season with a 'playoffs or BUST' mentality or are you ok with a team that plays hungry, shows much improvement, but just falls a bit short because of all of talented/loaded teams in the AFC?

Of course we would be very disappointed if the Bills do not make the playoffs, there is someone who posts this question every year. But the following year around this time the same revving up for the opening day banter will begin and the previous year will be forgotten with renewed hopes for the upcoming season.

You play to WIN the game.

</herm>

I agree 100%. It certainly does suck to lose. But if the Bills miss the playoffs but fight hard and show signs of being a much improved team for next year, I can live with that. I guess missing the playoffs for the last decade (almost) has made me a little numb. This year I'm trying to be optimistic, yet cautious.

There is no such thing as a hungry Bills team that shows marked improvment on both sides of the ball that DOESN'T make the playoffs, IMO.

Remember, we still had a shot at the playoffs in week 15 last year AND the year prior. To NOTICABLY improve on both sides of the ball while sustaining the tenacity they've exhibited during the Jauron era is- at least -a 10 win season.

There is no such thing as a hungry Bills team that shows marked improvment on both sides of the ball that DOESN'T make the playoffs, IMO.

Remember, we still had a shot at the playoffs in week 15 last year AND the year prior. To NOTICABLY improve on both sides of the ball while sustaining the tenacity they've exhibited during the Jauron era is- at least -a 10 win season.

Great points you make here. I think the Bills are capable of winning 10 games this season. I just have this horrible feeling in my gut that a 10 win team may not make the playoffs this year in the AFC. Thats how loaded it might be down the stretch. I hope I'm wrong.

Go Bills!

The Seahawks beat us in a close game. They are better at nearly every position except RB, which they aren't bad at. Both teams are strong at LB, but they are stronger. It will probably be similar to last year's season opener.

I see us as a better team than last year, but I think we will have fewer wins.

The Seahawks beat us in a close game. They are better at nearly every position except RB, which they aren't bad at. Both teams are strong at LB, but they are stronger. It will probably be similar to last year's season opener.

Sometimes I think you're pessimistic for popularity's sake.

Please tell me how their receivers, corners, and safeties are better than ours.

Thats pretty much the thought I have had all offseason Adam. I think we will be a better team, top to bottom then the one that took the field last season, but I think we have yet to show that we can win the close games consistently. Also, anytime you install a new offense with new schemes, there are going to be growing pains, especially in the early goings. I expect Buffalo to struggle out of the gate, but if Edwards is as smart as people claim him to be, I think the Bills will finish up the season strong and NEXT season will be the year that we should expect the playoffs. Of course I hope I am wrong and the Bills click from the start this season, but as long as they get better each game, I can live with that.