Peters angry with contrace? I doubt it.

Its the fee market at its best. Of course that contract doesn't mean anything. Take Peters, the guy made the pro bowl on a team desperate for offensive talent. He is so far under paid, its ridiculous. Lets say we held him to his contract, what is to stop him from showing up, going through the motions and cashing his check? Do you think he would be eager to sign up with us when his current deal is up? Not a chance. So, if we want a ticked off pro bowler on our hands with no motivation other than to stay healthy and get out of here, all we have to do is hold him to his contract.

I say we stop pretending we have any leverage here at all and simply pay him. Get him into camp all smiles, ready to do some damage on the field and eager to be our rep at the pro bowl for the next 8 years.

I don't understand the need to sign Peters to big bucks.

So he's a good player. The Bills have been fine for the last 15 years with crap talent on the OL. Why should they spend money on one LT?

We have plenty of other options to take his place.

So he's a good player. The Bills have been fine for the last 15 years with crap talent on the OL. Why should they spend money on one LT?

And people wonder why we haven't been competitive... :blink:

A strong team starts with strong lines, both offensive and defensive. You don't let a pro bowl caliber left tackle sit out when he is the best player on your line, arguably the best on your team, and he is making below average right tackle money. You PAY him.

Its the fee market at its best. Of course that contract doesn't mean anything. Take Peters, the guy made the pro bowl on a team desperate for offensive talent. He is so far under paid, its ridiculous. Lets say we held him to his contract, what is to stop him from showing up, going through the motions and cashing his check? Do you think he would be eager to sign up with us when his current deal is up? Not a chance. So, if we want a ticked off pro bowler on our hands with no motivation other than to stay healthy and get out of here, all we have to do is hold him to his contract.

I say we stop pretending we have any leverage here at all and simply pay him. Get him into camp all smiles, ready to do some damage on the field and eager to be our rep at the pro bowl for the next 8 years.

we do have leverage.

if peters sits we can not pay him and he can't play football for 3 years.

he has to play if he ever wants to play again. i'm quite sure his contract will get redone (and for huge top 3 nfl lineman numbers) but that won't be until next season. he needs to be proven healthy and play 2 back to back great seasons to be the huge money guy he wants to be.

and we don't want to cave after one great season to a guy we have for 3 more years. that alone could really hurt us.

The NHL has effectively banned holdouts altogether, and not even allowed renegotiation to happen until the year before a contract expires. This would never happen without the guaranteed contracts NHLers have, but would you take those two together if it ended this nonsense?

8 years ? While I agree in principle with your post, I am not so sure his smile will stay equally wide 2 years from now.

His job is to get his player on the field in time for TC the regular season. His job is also to get his player the best deal when it comes time to negotiate a new deal the opportunity arises.

Fixed.

That's why I hate agents.

And people wonder why we haven't been competitive... :blink:

A strong team starts with strong lines, both offensive and defensive. You don't let a pro bowl caliber left tackle sit out when he is the best player on your line, arguably the best on your team, and he is making below average right tackle money. You PAY him.

You realise he wasn't serious

Since the Draft all Obie has been doing here is complaining that the Bills didn't use their top picks to bring in more linemen because they need Pro Bowl level depth on the lines.

By fine do you mean still in Buffalo, because in terms of winning we havent been that "fine"

You realise he wasn't serious

Since the Draft all Obie has been doing here is complaining that the Bills didn't use their top picks to bring in more linemen because they need Pro Bowl level depth on the lines.

a few more Pro Bowl starters would be good too

I'm sure Peters' agent also knows the Bills head into the 08 season with nearly 20M in cap room based on Peter King's recent MMQB column.

King-Teams with most cap space (as of 7/21)

As much as I'm against re-negotiating a contract with 3 years remaining on it, owners have lost considerable leverage since the new CBA was signed and the financial landscape of the NFL went into the stratosphere. Players like Peters will get a new deal, sooner or later, regardless of principle because he's too valuable to the team. It may not happen this season, but it will eventually.