Scounts Inc Rates Special Teams

Numark

Bills are at #3

3. Buffalo Bills

The Buffalo special teams have been among the best in the league since head coach Dick Jauron took over in 2006. Jauron puts as much emphasis on this phase of the game as any coach in the league. The Bills field two dangerous returners in Roscoe Parrish and Terrence McGee, both of whom have impressive vision and instincts to hit a crease and have the speed to burn opposing coverage units. Buffalo also has one of the best kicking tandems in the NFL with place kicker Rian Lindell kicking 24 of 27 attempts last season and punter Brian Moorman averaging an impressive 37.6 net yards. Both players show great poise under pressure, and the Bills' coverage teams are discipline and they rarely give up field position.

Top 5

Bears

Browns

Bills

Texans

Chargers

AFC East

Bills = 3

Jets = 6

Patriots = 7

Dolphins = 18

I don't understand how the browns are at # 2

2. Cleveland Browns

Josh Cribbs is an elusive, explosive returner who shows great instincts and deceptive strength when hitting a crease. Cribbs scored three return touchdowns last season and broke several more long returns that changed field position for his team. Kicker Phil Dawson is extremely consistent, but punter Dave Zastudil and his coverage team were inconsistent, averaging only 34.6 net yards per attempt. Cleveland has the ability to tip field position in its favor when Cribbs has the ball in his hands, but there is always the chance their own coverage units will give that position back.

Even they admit their coverage team is below average

Buffalo also has one of the best kicking tandems in the NFL with place kicker Rian Lindell kicking 24 of 27 attempts last season and punter Brian Moorman averaging an impressive 37.6 net yards. Both players show great poise under pressure

There's that P word again

The Browns Special Teams were better than ours last year. Head to head they were better and were the difference in the game!!!

Rian Lindell is liability!!

SP Captain Coy Wire and ace Josh Stammer are GONE!!

The Browns Special Teams were better than ours last year. Head to head they were better and were the difference in the game!!!

Rian Lindell is liability!!

SP Captain Coy Wire and ace Josh Stammer are GONE!!

Tarzan no like Lindell!!

Fire Bad!!

ARRRRRrrrrrr!!

the only time he truly pissed me off where I wanted to throw the remote through the TV was when we had a small chance for the playoffs. And i believe it was the steelers and they were resting all their players, and he missed a very short FG.

Their coverage teams are ok. Phil Dawson is a great kicker, their return game, their punter is very good, and their return game is better than ours.

The fact is that our special teams are more vital to us, because we don't have much else

Bills are at #3

Top 5

Bears

Browns

Bills

Texans

Chargers

AFC East

Bills = 3

Jets = 6

Patriots = 7

Dolphins = 18

I hate to be the bearer of some additional insight here, but the special teams were even better before Jauron got here.

I hate to be the bearer of some additional insight here, but the special teams were even better before Jauron got here.

That's great but I'll take the decline in special teams just to get Mularkey outta here. Overall Jauron has been an upgrade. So I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make.

That's great but I'll take the decline in special teams just to get Mularkey outta here. Overall Jauron has been an upgrade. So I'm not sure of the point you're trying to make.

My point is that anyone looking to squeeze more out of a special teams ranked near the top is being unrealistic.

I mean what do you want from them, 10 points on average per game or something. They are the best at what they do. Unless you're expecting 8 or 10 return TDs, which is absurdly unrealistic, how are they going to improve when they are already ranking among the top few STs units every year now for like five or six seasons?

As to Jauron, that's like saying that a defrosted bag of turtle sh-- is tastier than the carrion on the road from a kill two weeks ago.

What, Malarkey is some sort of standard for excellence? The man's a moron.

Odd thing is that I'm sure we can find plenty of posts right here praising his hire and Donahoe's geniusness for bringing him on.

Jauron may be an upgrade over Malarkey, but so are 500 other coaches and assistants currently coaching in the NFL. Malarkey is an idiot's idiot.

Our special teams are the BEST in the league......period

I'm not sure about the best, but there's little room for improvement, let's put it that way.

Hell, how many other teams do you know that could seriously make their punter their MVP. Lindell is a fine K and our return and coverage games were tops last year.

I think from a rankings perspective there was a few better STs, but I'm not sure how they come up with a singular indicator given the breadth of STs activity.

I'm not sure about the best, but there's little room for improvement, let's put it that way.

Hell, how many other teams do you know that could seriously make their punter their MVP. Lindell is a fine K and our return and coverage games were tops last year.

I think from a rankings perspective there was a few better STs, but I'm not sure how they come up with a singular indicator given the breadth of STs activity.

When you factor in that this ST's was putting fear into the league before we put a amazing 17 player on IR and had to recruit off the street in order to have a special teams unit.....and they were STILL good....

We were the best. I would like to know which was better overall.

When you factor in that this ST's was putting fear into the league before we put a amazing 17 player on IR and had to recruit off the street in order to have a special teams unit.....and they were STILL good....

We were the best. I would like to know which was better overall.

You can consult the list at the top.

The Bears w/ Hester. Sorry, but it's true. They also have excellent other STs too.

Not sure about the Browns though.