Chest freezer in garage

Fezmid

Back when "ice" beer was all the rage, a roommate of mine would stick the three extra cans from his 18-pack (love the 18-pack) of Carling Black Label out on the porch in the dead of winter. By morning he'd have "Black Ice." He was pretty resource

Oh Mabel!

Back when "ice" beer was all the rage, a roommate of mine would stick the three extra cans from his 18-pack (love the 18-pack) of Carling Black Label out on the porch in the dead of winter. By morning he'd have "Black Ice." He was pretty resourceful, but not resourceful enough to survive colon cancer. Bottom's up, Rob!

Thankfully, Coors Lite has developed "Code Blue." Now, the mountains on the can turn blue when the beer is ready to drink.

Based on that concept, I would think the mountains would simply never turn blue.

But that's just me.

You probably don't understand it because you don't have children. Not only did my wife make and freeze our son's baby food (pureed veggies, etc.), but now it's filled with things like Uncrustables* (frozen PBJ sammiches) bulk corn dogs and such, not to mention having a place to store things like soup, stock, pasta sauces...all of which we make in large batches. Then throw in some cuts of meat when you get a good deal (gotta use the Food Saver to store them properly), or probably one of my favorite uses: turkeys. During November the grocery stores are all but giving them away. We'll rotisserie at least three or four turkeys a year.

But again, if you don't have children, it's probably a worthless device.

*Editor's note: I can hear the Stuckincincy's now with their "Jeez, how hard is it to make a PBJ? In the old days, you were HAPPY to make a PBJ!" Let me say that Uncrustables are probably one of the best frozen food inventions ever.

Ok, that makes some sense. But I just want to let people know that just because it's frozen doesn't mean it can be frozen forever. Reminds me of the good ole days in the kitchen.

Chef: Jim, it's your turn to inventory the freezer.

Cook Jim: !@#$!

Chef: What's the matter.

Cook Jim: If I wanted to stand on ice and freeze my ass off in the middle of April I would have stayed in Buffalo.

:devil:

Ok, that makes some sense. But I just want to let people know that just because it's frozen doesn't mean it can be frozen forever. Reminds me of the good ole days in the kitchen.

Chef: Jim, it's your turn to inventory the freezer.

Cook Jim: !@#$!

Chef: What's the matter.

Cook Jim: If I wanted to stand on ice and freeze my ass off in the middle of April I would have stayed in Buffalo.

:sick:

Hey all,

I'm thinking about buying a chest freezer to put in the garage. It's an attached garage but has no climate control - and therefore gets pretty hot in the summer.

How well will a chest freezer be able to keep the food frozen? And how much extra can I expect to pay in energy bills?

I could probably put it in the basement as well, but that wouldn't be as convenient... I'm assuming it'd use less energy during the summer though, right?

Thoughts? Thanks!

What do you mean by not "as convenient"? Is it a finished basement? Stairs? Are you concerned about the logistics of getting the unit into the basement?

We've got one here in the basement and for the number of times you have to go down there, it's usually "Honey, while you're doing wash, could you bring up a pork roast for Friday?" It's a big chest freezer, about 6'l x 3'w x 3'd, and it's old (~25 years) but it works like a champ and once it's frozen, the compressor doesn't run too much. We use ours pretty much like LA does, and for freezing strawberry/blueberry/rhubarb pickings, and for storing 1/4 cow when a farmer we know in town has one butchered (beats supermarket both in prices and taste). But hell, I don't think we need to sell you on one, you're just deciding b/w the basement or the garage.

A link above states, "Choose a cool position. Placing a fridge or freezer in direct sunlight or next to an oven or other heat source can increase energy consumption substantially." I would think this is the same rule of thumb for putting an air conditioner in a shaded area rather than direct sun; I forget what the percentage it added to an energy bill was, I think 10-20%. I can't find anything on the Internets about the impact of a chest freezer in a varied-temp garage as opposed to a perpetually cool basement, but even if you go at the 10% assuming similar usage increase, that could be a fair amount per year depending on its original energy use.

Weighing it all, I'd see how much of a hassle it would be to get it in the basement and if you could live with the travails of having to lug frozen lutefisk up the stairs. It's also a consideration of where you can most sacrifice any space the freezer will occupy. Being a lifetime member of the Man Club myself, I'm not prepared to give an inch of the garage b/c that just leads to a mile of spare shoes/dress/knitting accessory storage in a land where tools and touch-up paint buckets should reign sovereign.

A pearl of wisdom from my old man: If you do put it in the basement, set it on top of some cement blocks/bricks (this goes for a furnace too). If a few inches of water ever gets in via foundation leaks or a basement sink or washer overflowing, etc., it won't kill your freezer... and on the other hand, if more than a few inches of water gets in, a dead freezer ain't your biggest problem.

Uconn, what you don't understand, is fez needs the basement to store all the never quite a standard equipment he buys. See, his hate for sony and the "bigger" companies that he buys any off the wall standard and technology in hopes that it dethrones the big boys. HDDVD is just his latest failed venture. There are other, like his copy of Bob, OS/2, his sperry, geo windows (or whatever it was called), etc...

If he puts in the the basement, there is no more room for these technology leading and failures to be stored.

Uconn, what you don't understand, is fez needs the basement to store all the never quite a standard equipment he buys. See, his hate for sony and the "bigger" companies that he buys any off the wall standard and technology in hopes that it dethrones the big boys. HDDVD is just his latest failed venture. There are other, like his copy of Bob, OS/2, his sperry, geo windows (or whatever it was called), etc...

If he puts in the the basement, there is no more room for these technology leading and failures to be stored.

One of these days you'll "grow up."

:sick:

Depends on how full you plan to keep it. More stuff = more efficient.

How many severed heads will fit in a typical chest freezer these days? I'm just askin'...you don't want to underbuy in a situation like this. Lord knows I don't want two of the damn things running up my electric bill.