This Bud's for EU

/dev/null

People here are PISSED to say the least. Its like everyone around St. Louis got a giant kick in the nuts when they got up this morning......guess you'd just have to be from St. Louis to understand but people from here were really proud about AB and Budweiser. :thumbsup::wacko:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good ol Saint Arnold. :thumbsup:

Have you toured the brewery? I haven't found myself in Houston yet to do so.

yea, It's not a bad deal, tours are every saturday at 1:00 p.m., $5.00 for the 45 minute tour.

your welcome to taste test after and stay till 3:00 p.m., also keep the souvenir testing glass.

yea, It's not a bad deal, tours are every saturday at 1:00 p.m., $5.00 for the 45 minute tour.

your welcome to taste test after and stay till 3:00 p.m., also keep the souvenir testing glass.

Nice, I've even got a free tour coupon from the Saint Arnold rep who works here in Austin. Should be fun when I finally get out there.

I also want to tour Real Ale in Blanco

I like Dogfish Head . Some of the small microbreweries are very good .

Agreed on this one. I'll be drinking plenty of Dogfish Head next week in DE. If we get a rainy day we might have to do a brewery tour!

So is there any widely distributed AMERICAN beer left or do I have to turn my drinking problem on to Kentucky bourbon permanently?

Why the hell are you looking for a widely distributed American beer? (Yes, there is, its called Sam Adams, but it sucks).

You live in Cincinnati, you've got access to the Great Lakes Brewing Company, one of the best Breweries in the US, from Cleveland. You've also got access to Buckeye Brewing and a few others.

Check out http://www.ohiobeerguide.com/

Why the hell are you looking for a widely distributed American beer? (Yes, there is, its called Sam Adams, but it sucks).

You live in Cincinnati, you've got access to the Great Lakes Brewing Company, one of the best Breweries in the US, from Cleveland. You've also got access to Buckeye Brewing and a few others.

Check out http://www.ohiobeerguide.com/

Got any good links for atlanta or georgia while you are at it?

Best local beers are Sweetwater (Atlanta) & Terrapin (Athens). Both their flagships are excellent IMO... Sweetwater's 420 and Terrpain's Rye Ale. I would give Sweetwater the nod on secondary brands, but Terrapin really shines with their seasonals.

http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/

http://www.terrapinbeer.com/

Atlanta brewing is another one that I would say is pretty good. I used to love their Red Brick Ale, but I've moved away from browns/ambers and am now a fully committed hop head. So not so much a slight against them, just I prefer the other two breweries' offerings.

http://www.atlantabrewing.com/

People here are PISSED to say the least. Its like everyone around St. Louis got a giant kick in the nuts when they got up this morning......guess you'd just have to be from St. Louis to understand but people from here were really proud about AB and Budweiser. :ph34r:<_<

Wonder what Augie 1 would think about all this.

Microbrews get WAAAAAAAYYY too much credit in my opinion. They are in it to turn a profit, just like any other business, and if they could actually sell enough beer and work the logisitics, they would ALL become macrobrews in a heartbeat.

You sound like the guy who could drink the same beer twice, and you'd trash the one you thought was brewed by A-B and fawn over the one you thought was from Turtle Shell Brewery.

I am a HUGE fan of beer and am not ashamed to appreciate many of the fine macrobrews. I've had some good micros, and I've had plenty that were certifiably disgusting. I hate when a beer tastes like shiit and then some beer snob tells me I don't appreciate "the art of the craft," like I'm missing something.

I don't question why some like to drink a thick black stout that costs $7 just because it came from some small brewery in Portland. As such, I also don't require justification from anyone else when I throw back a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Microbrews get WAAAAAAAYYY too much credit in my opinion. They are in it to turn a profit, just like any other business, and if they could actually sell enough beer and work the logisitics, they would ALL become macrobrews in a heartbeat.

You sound like the guy who could drink the same beer twice, and you'd trash the one you thought was brewed by A-B and fawn over the one you thought was from Turtle Shell Brewery.

I am a HUGE fan of beer and am not ashamed to appreciate many of the fine macrobrews. I've had some good micros, and I've had plenty that were certifiably disgusting. I hate when a beer tastes like shiit and then some beer snob tells me I don't appreciate "the art of the craft," like I'm missing something.

I don't question why some like to drink a thick black stout that costs $7 just because it came from some small brewery in Portland. As such, I also don't require justification from anyone else when I throw back a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/24...microbreweries/

Hat tip to KD in CT from whom I found out about this website in another thread.

Microbrews get WAAAAAAAYYY too much credit in my opinion. They are in it to turn a profit, just like any other business

Of course they are, who would suggest otherwise?

and if they could actually sell enough beer and work the logisitics, they would ALL become macrobrews in a heartbeat.

In what sense do you mean macrobrews? That they would distribute on a wider scale? If so, then I'd agree. But if you mean macrobrewery in the sense that they'd compromise the quality of their beers by using cheaper ingredients thus turning their products into bastardazations of the intended styles, then no I don't agree that they would do that in a heartbeat.

There are many styles by the BJCP guide, nobody said you have to enjoy them all.

There is a time and place for every style of beer in my opinion, after mowing the lawn wouldn't be a good time to enjoy an Imperial Stout, but it would be a fine time to crack open a PBR.

Of course they are, who would suggest otherwise?

In what sense do you mean macrobrews? That they would distribute on a wider scale? If so, then I'd agree. But if you mean macrobrewery in the sense that they'd compromise the quality of their beers by using cheaper ingredients thus turning their products into bastardazations of the intended styles, then no I don't agree that they would do that in a heartbeat.

There are many styles by the BJCP guide, nobody said you have to enjoy them all.

There is a time and place for every style of beer in my opinion, after mowing the lawn wouldn't be a good time to enjoy an Imperial Stout, but it would be a fine time to crack open a PBR.

Very good analogy. :ph34r:<_<

Best local beers are Sweetwater (Atlanta) & Terrapin (Athens). Both their flagships are excellent IMO... Sweetwater's 420 and Terrpain's Rye Ale. I would give Sweetwater the nod on secondary brands, but Terrapin really shines with their seasonals.

Yep, i was gonna say Sweetwater and Terrapin as well. 420 is a great beer and you can find it on tap at almost every bar in the area.

Sweetwater has a party/special/happy hour every week. i think its wednesday nights... looking up now.

edit: if you go to sweetwaters site http://www.sweetwaterbrew.com/ click on Brewery and then Brewery Tours for details. its usually a pretty good party.

They're in it to turn a profit? SHOCKING! I would have never thought that the purpose of a business was to make money.

Pop psychology on the intertubes is always so accurate - this statement included.

I am a HUGE fan of beer and am not ashamed to appreciate many of the fine macrobrews.

Good for you. I, too, think there is a time and a place for an American-style lager. A beer can be enjoyable without being good, and vice versa.

I've had some good micros, and I've had plenty that were certifiably disgusting.

Congrats, so have I.

I hate when a beer tastes like shiit and then some beer snob tells me I don't appreciate "the art of the craft," like I'm missing something.

You probably are.

I, for example, don't really like dark, malty beers (although there are some exceptions). I'm not a fan of stouts or porters - its the way my palate has developed. I'm a hop head, and as such, I miss out on a number of quality dark beers.

I don't question why some like to drink a thick black stout that costs $7 just because it came from some small brewery in Portland.

lol, you're saying that you don't question why someone likes to drink a thick black stout, but then you give the answer for why someone likes to drink that thick black stout: "because it came from some small brewery in Portland."

You've proceeded to give an answer to a question that you claimed you don't ask.

As such, I also don't require justification from anyone else when I throw back a Pabst Blue Ribbon.

Of course you don't. But, again, just because you enjoy something, doesn't make it "a good beer". Macro brews typically lack the depth of a micro, for a number of reasons.

If you like Pale Lagers like PBR, Samuel Smith's Organic Lager is a better beer, as it has more complex flavors, a nice balance, and a finish, without being overly flavorful (like a Pale Lager is supposed to be). This is not to say that someone can't enjoy PBR - just that its technically not as good of a beer.

Thank you but I tip to Bill in NYC for posting it in another thread. :ph34r:

p.s. what's with all the anti-Sam Adams? I like most of their brews.

I don't think Sam Adams beers suck, but I think many are regarded as just being ordinary in craft beer circles. I think what Jim Koch has done is great for the craft beer industry as a whole, also he has done some great stuff for the homebrewing community with the longshot competitions.