Ever meet a Buffalo Bills player?

I'm sure there has been threads like this, but I haven't seen any, so here goes my story!

It was about 1994, I was 8 or 9 years old and was at a Buffalo Sabres game (back when they played at The Aud). My dad had seasons tickets to the Sabres and we were in the lounge/bar area during an intermission. The place had cleared out as the period was about to start back up. Only two tables remained; my dad and I at one, and a couple of guys at another.

As my dad was finishing up his beer the waitress came over and said that the guys at the other table were Buffalo Bills players, one of which was Jim Kelly. She gave me a piece of paper and a marker and encouraged me to go over and get his autograph. I looked at my dad and said I should do it to, so I did.

Terrified, I slowly made my way over and all five of the people at the table were looking at me. I only remember seeing Jim Kelly and what one other guy looked like. He was huge, 300lbs bald head and a goatee, really mean looking. As I got closer he actually smiled, somewhat calming me. Barely able to speak, I quietly asked, "Mr. Kelly, can I please have your autograph?" He smiled and said, "of course." He even made it out to me.

I didn't really "know" who he was back then. I was only interested in hockey in those days. But when I got a little older its significance increased, when I realized he was a legend that I met in his prime when he was near God-like in stature.

I still think it was pretty cool.

Anybody else got any stories?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lived next door to Izell Reese for 2 yrs when he wa splaying for us. I conversed with him several times (he actually met my wife 1st and told her he played for the Bills). One thing I remember when the season was over I asked him what if any inside info he had regarding the bills. He replied it is VERY IMPORTANT that we resign Pat WIlliams to keep the defense intact for one more year. WHat do you know, coaches let him go to Minnesota and the defense fell apart. :devil:

James Lofton came to our school to give a "stay in school, don't do drugs" speech, and afterward he was giving autographs. I thought maybe he was getting bored, so I had a fellow teacher take a picture of him with me as I gave him MY autograph. He laughed and thought it was creative.

Darryl Talley came the next year and the kids were asking, "This weekend is the bye week. What plans do you have?" expecting something special. Darryl said something to the effect, "I'm going to clean the basement and fix some drywall down there." I'll never forget that, because it humanized those gladiators for me.

When I worked at World Gym in Hamburg I met Poo Bear Williams, and worked out with Eric Smeadly (spelling?!?!) , Marcellus Wiley, and "friggen" Lonnie Johnson. I also seen Ted Washington in WalMart once, good God he was enourmous!!!!!

James Lofton came to our school to give a "stay in school, don't do drugs" speech, and afterward he was giving autographs. I thought maybe he was getting bored, so I had a fellow teacher take a picture of him with me as I gave him MY autograph. He laughed and thought it was creative.

Darryl Talley came the next year and the kids were asking, "This weekend is the bye week. What plans do you have?" expecting something special. Darryl said something to the effect, "I'm going to clean the basement and fix some drywall down there." I'll never forget that, because it humanized those gladiators for me.

Haha. That's awesome.

Bruce Smith used to host a golf tournament in Virginia Beach every year. It eventually turned into a $200 a plate ridiculous snooty-fest, but it started with some humble beginnings. There was this bar called Legends, later it became Smoty's, some on here will remember this place. The bar was within walking distance of my parent's house and I used to go there every Sunday and watch the Bills game. The first couple of years of the Bruce Smith Golf Classic were incredible. They were hosted right there in the bar and you got unbelievable access to the participants. The players were all really personable siging autographs and taking pictures throughout the weekend. My brother and I have so many stories of meeting Bruce, Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Darryl Talley, and a bunch of other NFL players that participated. Truly a great time every year. Probably the best was the year that Thurman showed up a little late to Legends. Everyone else had gone on to the golf tournament. My brother and I were still there since we had no interest in baking in the sun all day. Thurman strolls in and we're about the only three left in the bar. He proceeded to order lunch and talked with us the whole time. Good times.

I lived next door to Izell Reese for 2 yrs when he wa splaying for us. I conversed with him several times (he actually met my wife 1st and told her he played for the Bills). One thing I remember when the season was over I asked him what if any inside info he had regarding the bills. He replied it is VERY IMPORTANT that we resign Pat WIlliams to keep the defense intact for one more year. WHat do you know, coaches let him go to Minnesota and the defense fell apart. ;)

The same thing happened with Ruben Brown. We still have not recovered from either blunder. :devil:

I was stranded by my ride at a bachelor party that a few Bills were at. Josh Reed ended up giving my buddy and I a ride downtown and then insisted we come with him and the other players. He was classy all the way.

I met Darryl Talley about a week and a half ago. He looked great and still in playing shape. He seemed surprised that someone recognized him. I thanked him for all of his playing days in Buffalo. Sad to say, he seemed to be flirting with a 16 year old girl when I came up to say something to him.

I met Darryl Talley about a week and a half ago. He looked great and still in playing shape. He seemed surprised that someone recognized him. I thanked him for all of his playing days in Buffalo. Sad to say, he seemed to be flirting with a 16 year old girl when I came up to say something to him.

was he still working a mcdonalds?

I was stationed in Hawaii from 92-95 and being the resourceful Marine that I am, a buddy and I scammed press passes to the Pro Bowl in 93 & 94. We contacted NFL headquarters in NYC and told them we worked for the base newspaper and requested to have credentials for the game. We had practice passes all week at Aloha Stadium and sideline and locker room passes on game day. It was awesome. Got my picture with Steve Tasker, Thurman, Bruce, Andre and Kelly. I had them all blown up and got them autographed the next day. I got Kelly on a football but not the picture. He didn't make the Pro Bowl that year but was there during the media day. I've also had dinner in Hawaii with Howard "House" Ballard and met Nate Odomes and Henry in at the 92 Pro Bowl.

What a great time...

Oh, and I used my Marine status to get in real good with all the cheerleaders too..... :devil:

I met OJ Simpson his rookie year at our little league game. I asked him to sign my jersey and he pulled out a knife. Strange. No, but I really did meet him.

on the same topic, kinda sorta. a few years back, i was in chicago on a company trip and made my way to an autograph signing of former bears greats jim mcmahon, fridge, and dan hampton. my kids were with me, and as we worked our way to the front of the line, i was telling them a bit about the players and especially the story of the fridge. we finally get to the front of the line, meet fridge first, and he was nice enough, but seemed more interested in chompin' down another sausage and peppers than giving some genuine interest to a couple little kids who were staring at him the way i imagine may kids look at pro athletes. next up was mcmahon, same deal (can i get another burger here? ), but i engaged him in a bit of dialogue and he was alright. finally, a bit disheartened (I know it's gotta be tough signing autographs and making small talk for hours with people you don't know, but toss the kids a smile and make eye contact, would ya?). so, up next, DH, and ironically the picture provided for the autograph showed him sacking jimbo. i mentioned that we appreciated his time, but weren't crazy he was sacking our boy in it, and weren't sure we could even keep it in our house. he really seemed to get it, he gave us a big laugh, looked my oldest son in the eye and told a few quick stories about sacking jimbo and how much he loved sack him, and how often he got to rough him up.

hall of fame defensive player dan hampton gets my vote for good dude.

also met scott berchtold last year, quizzed him on the pats off-season changes, and he indicated they were pretty concerned about covering moss, welker and the guy tossing them the ball. good call there!