OT - Freevo

/dev/null

freevo is more then just TIVO. It is a complete PC based entertainment system that can be upgraded beyond Tivo comprehension. If all you want is to record a few shows and pause live TV then stick with a TIVO system. If you want a complete PC based entertainment system and the challenge build one.

Also try MythTV.org.

If all you want is to record a few shows and pause live TV then stick with a TIVO system.

5354[/snapback]

what the hell else could you WANT to do with TV? I mean, I watch ALOT of TV, I have my masters degree in couch potato, but if I had MORE options than not only being able to watch endless TV, but WHEN i want, and be able to pause live TV, I would probably need a colostomy bag pretty soon.

what the hell else could you WANT to do with TV? I mean, I watch ALOT of TV, I have my masters degree in couch potato, but if I had MORE options than not only being able to watch endless TV, but WHEN i want, and be able to pause live TV, I would probably need a colostomy bag pretty soon.

5366[/snapback]

I believe that's an add-on module for Freevo...

:w00t:

freevo is more then just TIVO. It is a complete PC based entertainment system that can be upgraded beyond Tivo comprehension. If all you want is to record a few shows and pause live TV then stick with a TIVO system. If you want a complete PC based entertainment system and the challenge build one.

Its only for the tech heads who enjoy this stuff since it requires Intelligence, patience and desire. Something 99% + of the people who post here are in serious lack of.

Also try MythTV.org.

5354[/snapback]

A complete PC based entertainment system... Kinda like TiVo with Home Media Option (not available for DirecTiVo boxes)?

CW

the appeal of freevo and mythtv to me isn't just the tivo functionality. i was planning on getting a decent surround sound speaker set and turning it into a home theater, mp3 stereo, and emulator gaming console (nes, genesis, arcarde, etc)

plus i have all this computer junk lying around, might as well do something with it besides collect dust

plus, i like a challange :devil:

I know this is a longshot, but some of you guys are big TiVo nuts.  Just wondering if anyone here has experience with FreeVo

5227[/snapback]

Just my 2 cents, but I'm also looking into this a bit. I've checked out various cards for the TV/Video capture and one thing stands out. Make sure you have hardware encoding like Hauppauge has in their cards. Also, SageTV seems like a good choice for the software, but still investigating this. Add these two and you've begun.

Keep in mind that rock solid performance like Tivo may be a bit difficult to match on a PC as the old Microsoft OS issues and quirky software will still have their moments like we've all seen from time to time.

Keep in mind that rock solid performance like Tivo may be a bit difficult to match on a PC as the old Microsoft OS issues and quirky software will still have their moments like we've all seen from time to time.

5710[/snapback]

FreeVo runs under Linux (as does TiVo), so OS stability isn't as much a concern

Archived