SportsCenter's quick AFC East preview

They cut in to Sportscenter with Tirico, Mort, and Tom Jackson doing a quick preview of the AFC and NFC East divisions. They talked only about two teams in each division...It was the Cowboys and Eagles in the NFC, and obviously the Pats in the AFC, and....The team that battled injuries and finished in 2nd place last year? Nope, it was none other that the NY Jets...The team that overpaid for a bunch of average free agents, still do not have a QB, or any dangerous players at RB or WR.

I'm not trying to create a "Media hates the Bills" rant...I understand that a NY team has more of a national following than a Buffalo team. And they also didn't mention the defending champ NYG in their quick overview, so it's not a big deal.

I just found it comical that they obviously named the Patriots as the favorite, as they should, and then discussed the Jets like they were the #1 contender. They conveniently neglected to mention that just last December, the Jets were 1-POINT UNDERDOGS against an 0-12 Miami team.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As you stated, a NYC team means lot more marketing-wise than a WNY team.

Really, it is no surprise in which teams they picked -- NYC, Philly, Dallas and Boston are some of the biggest markets in the country.

It's all about the Benjamin$.

They cut in to Sportscenter with Tirico, Mort, and Tom Jackson doing a quick preview of the AFC and NFC East divisions. They talked only about two teams in each division...It was the Cowboys and Eagles in the NFC, and obviously the Pats in the AFC, and....The team that battled injuries and finished in 2nd place last year? Nope, it was none other that the NY Jets...The team that overpaid for a bunch of average free agents, still do not have a QB, or any dangerous players at RB or WR.

I'm not trying to create a "Media hates the Bills" rant...I understand that a NY team has more of a national following than a Buffalo team. And they also didn't mention the defending champ NYG in their quick overview, so it's not a big deal.

I just found it comical that they obviously named the Patriots as the favorite, as they should, and then discussed the Jets like they were the #1 contender. They conveniently neglected to mention that just last December, the Jets were 1-POINT UNDERDOGS against an 0-12 Miami team.

Actually, they have Chad Pennington, who has been a very successful QB at this level. I think the Jets have played beyond the regular season with him at QB before- maybe we should trade for him

Funny that they neglected to mention the Giants instead of Dallas or Philly. ESPN has no credibility anymore, and it shows when you do a division preview and neglect to show the defending Super Bowl Champs :P

Actually, they have Chad Pennington, who has been a very successful QB at this level. I think the Jets have played beyond the regular season with him at QB before- maybe we should trade for him

Pennington HAS had success in the past. Now he is a backup to a (what appears to be) below-average QB who is only playing because he can actually throw the ball 15 yards. He can officially change his name to Chadly Holcombton.

Funny that they neglected to mention the Giants instead of Dallas or Philly. ESPN has no credibility anymore, and it shows when you do a division preview and neglect to show the defending Super Bowl Champs :P

They're doing this to get people to watch.

They lost credibility a long time ago when they just started picking/covering the big-market teams.

I just found it comical that they obviously named the Patriots as the favorite, as they should, and then discussed the Jets like they were the #1 contender. They conveniently forget that last December, the Jets were 1-POINT UNDERDOGS against an 0-12 Miami team.

People seem kind of mixed on the Jets prospects this year. I have seen/heard some "experts" say that they have had a tremendous off-season, while others, like you, agree that they have badly overpaid for free-agents, and will pay for it dearly for years to come.

I am not sure where I fall on this issue, but the fact that the Jets somehow managed to get into the playoffs in 2006 likely plays into things too. Remember, "Mangenious". Lets' face it, the Bills are a long time removed from any success. They have been teetering for a few years now, but keep coming up short. Personally, while I think the Bills are improving, I think they got an awful lot of run out the injury thing last year. In a lot of cases, unproven players were injured, to be replaced by other unproven players. We don't really know how much better they would have been, with a normal amount of injuries. Not trying to take anything away from the Bills, but they some problems that went beyond the injuries. If we were nutural obeservers, we might not see a big difference between the Bills and Cardnals or Lions. Teams that should be good, but somehow never seem to quite get over the hump...

The Bills have been a "sexy" pick for a couple of seasons now. It hasn't done them any good...just win, and the rest will take care of itself. Whatever slant ESPN takes, won't effect what happens on the field.

People seem kind of mixed on the Jets prospects this year. I have seen/heard some "experts" say that they have had a tremendous off-season, while others, like you, agree that they have badly overpaid for free-agents, and will pay for it dearly for years to come.

I am not sure where I fall on this issue, but the fact that the Jets somehow managed to get into the playoffs in 2006 likely plays into things too. Remember, "Mangenious". Lets' face it, the Bills are a long time removed from any success. They have been teetering for a few years now, but keep coming up short. Personally, while I think the Bills are improving, I think they got an awful lot of run out the injury thing last year. In a lot of cases, unproven players were injured, to be replaced by other unproven players. We don't really know how much better they would have been, with a normal amount of injuries. Not trying to take anything away from the Bills, but they some problems that went beyond the injuries. If we were nutural obeservers, we might not see a big difference between the Bills and Cardnals or Lions. Teams that should be good, but somehow never seem to quite get over the hump...

The Bills have been a "sexy" pick for a couple of seasons now. It hasn't done them any good...just win, and the rest will take care of itself. Whatever slant ESPN takes, won't effect what happens on the field.

Yes, agreed on all counts, good points...That's why I wasn't trying to play up the "Bills were slighted" angle, they have done very little to warrant serious contender status.

Where else but TBD are the Jets a bigger media market than the Giants.

They are the same market, obviously. But including the Jets gave ESPN a hit in NYC and still let them hit Philly and Dallas. If they hit the Giants, they would have had to talk about the stinkin' fish, and that is just stupid.

Agreed....ESPN has become very hard to watch

Its ok......dont give the bills any credit I like being the underdog.

I hate to provide a reality check, but when you have a franchise that has not made the playoffs since 1999, and were hyped in 2003 and 2004 and fell flat on their face, and couple that Buffalo is not the 'sexy' market idiots at ESPN crave, it makes sense that the Bills are snubbed.

Go 10-6, 11-5 and make the playoffs, and this snubbing talk will go away.

I hate to provide a reality check, but when you have a franchise that has not made the playoffs since 1999, and were hyped in 2003 and 2004 and fell flat on their face, and couple that Buffalo is not the 'sexy' market idiots at ESPN crave, it makes sense that the Bills are snubbed.

Go 10-6, 11-5 and make the playoffs, and this snubbing talk will go away.

So what did the Jets due to deserve their standing with them?

They did win 10 games in 2006, and make the playoffs...not that I think that means much. And they managed to stay within 21 points, in the AFC wildcard game, against a team that knew their every move! :P

Well they have been a playoff team a couple times more recently then the Bills, and while I do think you have a valid point couple our recent failures + small market + ESPN's love with making fun of our 4 SB's and that will equal the lack of notoriety the Bills will receive.

Again, show it on the field, and ye shall find attention. Who cares what these people say or do not say about the Buffalo Bills.

The Jets were 10-6 in '06 and had two other 10-6 seasons in the five seasons prior to that and in two of the last four seasons and have made the playoffs five times in the past seven seasons.

The Bills haven't had a winning season since '99 besides their infamous 9-7 outting in '04 where they lost to the Steelers' 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers in the last game of the season to prevent them from making the playoffs and otherwise haven't made the playoffs since '99.

But let's see, Sportscenter's preview isn't favorable, and both PFW and TSN predict 7-9 for the Bills, and the Vegas O/U is 7.5.

Couldn't it be that the ones that are not being realistic are those that clearly have a bias for this team and see everything coming up roses this season?

The Jets were 10-6 in '06 and had two other 10-6 seasons in the five seasons prior to that and in two of the last four seasons and have made the playoffs five times in the past seven seasons.

The Bills haven't had a winning season since '99 besides their infamous 9-7 outting in '04 where they lost to the Steelers' 2nd, 3rd, and 4th stringers in the last game of the season to prevent them from making the playoffs and otherwise haven't made the playoffs since '99.

But let's see, Sportscenter's preview isn't favorable, and both PFW and TSN predict 7-9 for the Bills, and the Vegas O/U is 7.5.

Couldn't it be that the ones that are not being realistic are those that clearly have a bias for this team and see everything coming up roses this season?

:P:lol::lol:

Thanks for the reality check bro...Because I was certainly saying that the Bills should be hyped as an 11-5 team, no questions asked.... :lol:

The Jets have a vet QB with a bum shoulder, a young QB who hasn't proven much at all, a RB who didn't have a 20-yard run last year, and a bunch of receivers who are middle-of-the-road at best. And since you're citing Vegas, THE JETS WERE AN UNDERDOG TO A WINLESS TEAM 6 MONTHS AGO!

But they signed Alan Faneca!!!!

I'm not saying the Bills are a force to be reckoned with. But they were in the playoff hunt up until the Cleveland game last year, which considering their man-games missed, probably should've qualified as a "mentionable" in a three minute segment. I also fully realize that they were only 7-9 last year, with four of those wins coming against the lowly Jets and Dolphins.

I'm not booking my tickets to Tampa. I also don't think it's a stretch to say the Bills are the 2nd best team in the division. If that's rose colored glasses then so be it.

First off, I would say that the Jets got 2 very nice additions in Calvin Pace for their Defense and Damien Woody to add to their Offensive Line. Chad Pennington is still a very good Quarterback in this league, much more accomplished and proven than either of our Quarterbacks. As far as dangerous weapons on Offense goes...I would say that they have a solid Running Back quartet in Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Jesse Chatman and Jehuu Caulcrick. They also have Musa Smith and Danny Woodhead battling for a Running Back spot. Justin Valentine and Tony Richardson are both good Fullbacks, with Richardson being the 2nd best in the NFL the last few years. They have better receiving Tight Ends than we do in Bubba Franks and Chris Baker. As far as Wide Receiver goes, Laveranues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith, David Clowney and Chansi Stuckey, is an average receiving corps. Like the Bills, this team is young and should NOT be blown off as an easy win. If their line and QB plays well, this team can be as good as anyone.

Their Running Back position, as well as their Fullbacks, are right up there with ours. They have the better receiving Tight Ends. Our Offensive Line has played better than theirs, but the Jets O-Line has the potential to be one of the best. Their Wide Receivers need some help, but are not terrible.

I am just saying that I would not and will not overlook this team when it comes September.

*They also still have time to sign some guys...and there are plenty of decent Free Agents still available, and still to be cut.

:rolleyes::bag::censored:

Thanks for the reality check bro...Because I was certainly saying that the Bills should be hyped as an 11-5 team, no questions asked.... :bag:

The Jets have a vet QB with a bum shoulder, a young QB who hasn't proven much at all, a RB who didn't have a 20-yard run last year, and a bunch of receivers who are middle-of-the-road at best. And since you're citing Vegas, THE JETS WERE AN UNDERDOG TO A WINLESS TEAM 6 MONTHS AGO!

But they signed Alan Faneca!!!!

I'm not saying the Bills are a force to be reckoned with. But they were in the playoff hunt up until the Cleveland game last year, which considering their man-games missed, probably should've qualified as a "mentionable" in a three minute segment. I also fully realize that they were only 7-9 last year, with four of those wins coming against the lowly Jets and Dolphins.

I'm not booking my tickets to Tampa. I also don't think it's a stretch to say the Bills are the 2nd best team in the division. If that's rose colored glasses then so be it.

Well that's good to hear that you appear to be saner than most here. While it may not be a stretch to say that the Bills are the best team in the division, both the Jets and Fins had more productive offenses last year and defenses overall. As to how that all shook out in Ws and Ls and why you can figure out.

But it is a stretch to say that the Bills are clearly without any doubts better than either team this season. The Dolphins have improved more than any of the three teams.

You and others keep talking as if we dusted the Jets and Fins last season when that wasn't the case. It was the case in one game vs. Miami, but that's it. We almost lost to both teams and we only beat three other teams on our schedule last year. So while you talk about how crappy they are on one hand, where's the accompanying statements about how they accounted for four of our seven wins last season?

And furthermore, it's not as if we beat some really good teams otherwise either. We beat the equally downtrodden Ravens and Bengals, and barely edged the Redskins in a very weird game that we technically lost other than for Gibbs' mistake. I mean what player did the Ravens have on offense besides McGahee that was any good? Ogden, Pro Bowl LT, was out. So was Heap. McNair should be playing shuffleboard at the local home.

It's funny how most people here just view things one way from one perspective, the perspective that the Bills' organization can only move upward and improve and that it's either status quo or improvement relative to the other teams in the league. You would think that most fans have learned their lessons in that way by now, but I guess not.

I don't know what this season will bring as none of us does. But I wouldn't lay a plug nickel right now that we finish 2nd in the division. For us to improve in record it seems to me that we will have to sweep the Fins and Jets again and I'm not even sure that I would bet on that happening either. It wouldn't surprise me to see the Fins take two from us this season or that we go 2-2 in those four games. Again, it's not like we dominated those games last year.

In fact, in those four games, the Jets and Fins outgained us in net yards in two games, one each, in rushing yards in one in a big way (Fins), and they held close in a second (Jets), and their passing offenses put up substantially more yards in two games and comparable in a third. I'm just not seeing here how we were so much better because our offense scored one more point because of a 2-pt. conversion than the Jets in one game, three more points in another, and having put up 17, 13, and 11 offensive points against teams that you state sucked. I mean was that good in your view?

And what talent did either team have at RB for example? Ronnie Brown was out, it was Leon Washington and Thomas Jones for the Jets. Do you think that they're good? So Miami had Lemon and a bunch of backup scrubs at RB and nearly beat us in one game. Is that supposed to impress anyone?

Do you think that Cleo Lemon played well last season and is a good QB? His statistics on the season were just about a carbon copy of Edwards, so are you going to talk about how poised he was? He was surely much more consistent than Edwards and that was without a decent supporting cast which presumably we can agree on, no?

So as I see it here, we barely edged two of the most downtrodden and poor teams in the league last year and we did it very unimpressively on top of it, and nearly lost at least two of those four games and could easily have lost a third. And you're trying to sell me and others on notions that even though our offense has barely improved and where it has improved has everything to do with the play of rookies and an OC that is trying his hand at offensive coordinating for the first time, that we are all but certain to take 2nd place in the division?

I'm just not seeing that.

I see a team that, if it's not careful, could have the Ws that they logged vs. six really poor teams last year mostly go the other way on them this year and are teetering somewhere between a .500 season and something much less depending upon how the breaks go this year. Last year most if not all went for us. And no, the Denver and Dallas games the breaks did not go against us, they went for us. We still couldn't pull wins out. Both teams schooled us on moving the ball and prevented us from moving it.

Denver 470 net yards, Bills 184

Dallas 385 net yards, Bills 229

I'm sorry, but no team deserves to win games when they have that lopsided ball movement. I can't say that they should simply because it's my team. In the Dallas game we scored 3 points off a FG and no TDs. Against Denver we had only 7 offensive points.

I don't understand why anyone thinks that that is anything but the suckiest of sucks. Also, Losman played the Denver game, not Edwards, so why anyone is using that game as any kind of indicator for this season when under Edwards the offense didn't even average two TDs/game is beyond me. Sure, you can do it, but it doesn't make any sense like so much of the rest of what gets thrown up here. And Edwards got to play with Lynch having had some games under his belt whereas Losman got a raw rookie just beginning to learn the ropes. Is that a fair comparison in your view?

The offense stinks. How much it will improve depends entirely upon Edwards, some rookie WRs, and Schonert all of which are mysteries at this point. But the odds of all three coming together to make the kind of difference that propels a team from being DFL or close to it to anything that will win games based on the offense are not good. And if Schonert struggles through his first season of being OC, then the offense may not improve by much at all. What will save it is the seemingly easy slate of defensive opponents. If Edwards improves but only marginally, then that will be awful too.

First off, I would say that the Jets got 2 very nice additions in Calvin Pace for their Defense and Damien Woody to add to their Offensive Line. Chad Pennington is still a very good Quarterback in this league, much more accomplished and proven than either of our Quarterbacks. As far as dangerous weapons on Offense goes...I would say that they have a solid Running Back quartet in Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Jesse Chatman and Jehuu Caulcrick. They also have Musa Smith and Danny Woodhead battling for a Running Back spot. Justin Valentine and Tony Richardson are both good Fullbacks, with Richardson being the 2nd best in the NFL the last few years. They have better receiving Tight Ends than we do in Bubba Franks and Chris Baker. As far as Wide Receiver goes, Laveranues Coles, Jerricho Cotchery, Brad Smith, David Clowney and Chansi Stuckey, is an average receiving corps. Like the Bills, this team is young and should NOT be blown off as an easy win. If their line and QB plays well, this team can be as good as anyone.

Their Running Back position, as well as their Fullbacks, are right up there with ours. They have the better receiving Tight Ends. Our Offensive Line has played better than theirs, but the Jets O-Line has the potential to be one of the best. Their Wide Receivers need some help, but are not terrible.

I am just saying that I would not and will not overlook this team when it comes September.

*They also still have time to sign some guys...and there are plenty of decent Free Agents still available, and still to be cut.

That is an excellent assessment of the Jets Shnooks.

Their RBs listed independently don't scare anyone, but their RBBC may very well be adequate, especially with Pennington back there. But I agree, they shouldn't be looked past, especially by a team that struggled and didn't play well against them last year in spite of having won two games.