Incredible wines

One of my best friends who is in the wine business and a fantastic cook made an incredible dinner for us (a group from our college years) saturday night... as we 've had great wine discussions here i wanted to share with you a few impressions:

Here's the menu: (wine followed by the meal served with it)

Hors d'oeuvre:

Beaujolais pétillant naturel - romain desgrottes « un p’tit coin de paradis ». Very surprising bubbly Beaujolais. The bubbles are naturally produced by the fermentation of the wine that is made directly after the harvest (like you do cider with apple juice). Great way to start especially served cold in a hot summer day like it was

Parmesan cookies. Original and tasty hors d'oeuvre

-----------

First dish:

Hermitage blanc cuvée chante-alouette, domaine chapoutier 2001. The Hermitage blanc is probably my favorite white wine on this planet. My friend could not have chosen any better! Especially picking that Chapoutier the best company in the northen Cotes du Rhone business (Cote Rotie, Hermitage, St Joseph, Condrieu...)

Lobster in Chinese spring rolls served with smoked vinaigrette and roquette salad. We asked my friend for the recipe of the smoked vinaigrette for the rest of the night!! In fact he bought some smoked oil in a small Lyon delicatessen store where they smoke not only hams and fish but oil too...

----------

Second Dish:

Volnay santenots 1er cru, domaine yvon. clerget 1998. With that kind of Bourgogne 1er cru, you're directly sent to Paradise. Probably the best red wine i've drunk for 5-6 years...

Lamb charlotte with eggplants and "venered" rice (sorry, not sure about the venered rice) ... I had never heard about that rice before. It's almost black and delicious. My friend tell me it was strickly reserved for the exclusive use of the Emperors of China for centuries... I love lamb so well it made the dinner even better!

----------

Cheese:

Saint-émilion grand cru, château tertre-daugay 1995. Even I, a not huge fan of Bordeaux, can not stay cold drinking something like that. Perfect for the cheese.

Fresh goat cottage cheese with white truffle oil of Alba and citrus juice. The white truffle oil mixed with citrus juice was so great we finished it simply put on fresh bread!

----------

Dessert:

Alsace pinot gris vendanges tardives, domaine andré dischler 1999. I could not believe it... Usually i don't like classic dessert white wines... i could have passed the rest of the night drinking that one... (well we passed it drinking some good Rioja.... not too bad...)

Oeufs à la neige with passion fruit, michel troisgros recipe. Perfect mix Great end of the meal.

-----------

First dish:

Hermitage blanc cuvée chante-alouette, domaine chapoutier 2001. The Hermitage blanc is probably my favorite white wine on this planet. My friend could not have chosen any better! Especially picking that Chapoutier the best company in the northen Cotes du Rhone business (Cote Rotie, Hermitage, St Joseph, Condrieu...)

Lobster in Chinese spring rolls served with smoked vinaigrette and roquette salad. We asked my friend for the recipe of the smoked vinaigrette for the rest of the night!! In fact he bought some smoked oil in a small Lyon delicatessen store where they smoke not only hams and fish but oil too...

Wow. . . . that sounds fantastic. Was it regular vegetable oil, canola, sunflower , olive. . . .???

Good stuff Oliver. Funny the oeufs al la neige you mentioned was from Troigros. The best American chef I worked for trained under Troigros and he had that on his dessert menu every night. I'll make it over your way some time. I'll be moving to San Francisco in the next few months so if you find yourself in CA next year stop in, I'll show you that the States are not only Micky Do.

Good stuff Oliver. Funny the oeufs al la neige you mentioned was from Troigros. The best American chef I worked for trained under Troigros and he had that on his dessert menu every night. I'll make it over your way some time. I'll be moving to San Francisco in the next few months so if you find yourself in CA next year stop in, I'll show you that the States are not only Micky Do.

No trip to Nocal planned in a near future, but it'd be with pleasure Chef!! (and of course you're welcome here anytime!!)

PS It's "Troisgros"