Bills brass are bush leaguing it in regards to Peters and Evans

The Bills should without a doubt reward these two guys who have actually have proven themselves WORTHY of the "BIG" contract. Peters and Evans BOTH have done this and yet the Bills brass are for some stupid and unknown reason playing hardball to the detriment of this team, which is supposedly on the verge of a new successful era. What are they trying to prove here? That they can take a hard line and not reward their star players and still be a success? Where's the incentive for the other 51 players in that? If I were the Bills management I'd show these guys the money because it's the right thing to do and in turn lets their other players know that performance on the field will in fact bring you a bigger bank account. The Bills are looking minor league here IMO. They are still members of the NFL and the salaries have risen, they need to deal with this fact and open up their tight wallet or they will quickly become the Kansas City Royals of the NFL. Go big or go home. It especially ticks me off that after the biggest ticket sales ever they continue to play hardball with these two guys. Nice message to send to the other players you small minded morons.

The Bills should without a doubt reward these two guys who have actually have proven themselves WORTHY of the "BIG" contract. Peters and Evans BOTH have done this and yet the Bills brass are for some stupid and unknown reason playing hardball to the detriment of this team, which is supposedly on the verge of a new successful era. What are they trying to prove here? That they can take a hard line and not reward their star players and still be a success? Where's the incentive for the other 51 players in that? If I were the Bills management I'd show these guys the money because it's the right thing to do and in turn lets their other players know that performance on the field will in fact bring you a bigger bank account. The Bills are looking minor league here IMO. They are still members of the NFL and the salaries have risen, they need to deal with this fact and open up their tight wallet or they will quickly become the Kansas City Royals of the NFL. Go big or go home. It especially ticks me off that after the biggest ticket sales ever they continue to play hardball with these two guys. Nice message to send to the other players you small minded morons.

I agree that Evans and Peters need to be signed and renegiotated respectively. But let's kid ourselves into having an idea of what is going behind the scenes. It's pretty foolish and name calling is completely silly. And I love how people just completely forget we just gave big money deals to Schobel, Kelsay, Dockery, Walker, etc. I have no doubts that these deals with be done and it will just show how foolish this post was. 0:)

Its called negotiations, they need both sides to come to an agreement, and its much worse for the Bills front office (and makes them even dumber) if they just hand these guys blank cheques and tell them to fill in whatever they want.

They are talking with Evans, he even said he has had talks and is looking it over and not in a rush. With Peters, they did just sign him to a deal, and now because he has lived up to his potential and feels he is underpaid, wants it renogotiated not even half way through it. If the Bills turn around and cave in and give him what he wants, it will show other players that all you have to do is threaten a hold out if you have played up to your deal (no matter how many years you played under that deal) and they will give you what you want just because you are good.

Thats not smart negotiating and its not bush league either

Bush league is giving into player demands for players who are still under contract. Are the Giants bush league for not extending Burress right now? What about the Bengals for not giving into Chad Johnson?

There are a number of other teams who are in the same spot as the Bills and a number of other players who are in the same spot as Peters. It doesn't make either side bush league.

Nothing stops you from mailing Peters and Evans a $100 check. That would be a nice message for you to send. 0:)

I must start by stating that I also think that the two players deserve to have bigger contracts than what they have now, but I don't completely agree with your analysis. I think Evans has proved that he CAN be a top flight receiver, but the problem is, he hasn't been consistent. I think there are a lot of factors that have led to that, but the top receivers don't make excuses, they make plays. Double teams are a fact of life for big receivers and they still manage to make those big plays. Evans disappeared last year when we needed him most and he has not had good years for the past two seasons. I think he deserves a pay increase, but he needs to show me something during the season that he is worth it. Right now, I think he is a 6 mil a year receiver, but not an 11 mil a year like Fitzgerald or Boldin.

Peters also deserves a bigger payday. However, he has only played one full season at tackle. I hardly think that demonstrates that he has "proved himself" as a top tier tackle. There have been too many one hit wonders in the NFL at the Tackle position for me to say that he has "proved" himself. Buffalo just renegotiated his contract, and I know that he is "only" getting 4 mil a year. However, that is due to the fact that he is still an unproven commodity at the position. He played well for a season and a half. He has three years left on his current contract, which is laden with incentives. I think he should play for another season, allow Buffalo to resign Evans and Crowell, who are in a state of limbo at the end of the season, and then worry about signing Peters to a higher paying extension. His actions right now are a bit selfish and doesn't say much for his concern for the team as a whole. I think he is a very good talent at guard, but I don't want to pay him some huge and outrageous contract and lose the ability to re-sign Evans, Crowell and our Rookies. Not to mention, this sets a bad precedent within the organization: you have a good year, you get to whine and cry your way to a higher contract. Evans and Lynch each had a great season in their careers. Should we have given Lynch a 6 mil pay increase after last season? Should we have given Evans a higher contract of 6 mil after his second season? No. Because they hadn't proven themselves to be consistently good at their positions over a long enough time at that point in their career. I think Peters needs to play through this season and wait in line behind veteran players who have actually earned their pay increases over time.

Good post! I don't love the last sentence, but I know what you are trying to get across.

McCorner will probably sign for a bigger salary than Jason Peters. Whitner will probably be making as much or more. I think it is a whole lot easier to get secondary help than a premier LT. It might mean more to a 2nd year qb too, ya know?

From a business standpoint... The Bils need to hold their ground. I am in business for myself, and generally have about 15-20 employees working for me at any given time. My businesses success is directly related to the quality of workers i have. I generally have a mix of veterans and rookies every year. Guys tend to outperform their pay, and veterans will someitmes be overpaid relative to their performance. One thing I do know is you DO NOT cave into the demands of a single player/employee demanding a raise. It opens up some nasty floodgates. Their are many players who have over achieved their contracts already. How about McGee, Jabari Greer, Lee Evans, Trent Edwards, Marshawn Lynch, Angelo Crowell etc... What do you do if they see the Bills caved in to Peters demands, and they all want new current market deals relatve to their current performance. I have learned from experience that once you do it for one guy, everyone feels entitled to this new money, or feels left out by not getting more money. Tough to keep everybody happy! If Jason Peters was an all pro golfer or tennis player, I would say pay the man his money, however he is on a team of 53 guys who are all working their arses off with him.

Good post! I don't love the last sentence, but I know what you are trying to get across.

McCorner will probably sign for a bigger salary than Jason Peters. Whitner will probably be making as much or more. I think it is a whole lot easier to get secondary help than a premier LT. It might mean more to a 2nd year qb too, ya know?

It's funny what happens when you get emerging stars on your team. I'm not sure anymore if I should be excited about the years to come or if I should brace myself for even bigger disappointments to come.

It's funny what happens when you get emerging stars on your team. I'm not sure anymore if I should be excited about the years to come or if I should brace myself for even bigger disappointments to come.

I hear ya! :lol: Well said!

I resolve this issue by knowing that I am going to be a Bills Fan until I die, or they leave Buffalo; whatever happens first.

Badolbilz predicted how good Peters would be before he made the switch to LT. We lucked into this kid, and he is better than really any other Bills Fan that I know of ever thought he would be. He needs to make at least as much as Dockery. Nothing else makes sense from where I sit.

As for the years to come, I think (and I admittedly can easily be flat out wrong) that Trent Edwards will be a pro bowl qb at some point. I have liked him that much since I saw him play the Lions in pre-season. BUT, any young QB deserves a good (let alone potentially great) LT to watch his blind side. We have one.

Posters make good points, but I am unable to come up with a sensible scenario to not give Jason Peters a raise. I just can't do it.

i think we extend evans this year, like 7 or 8 per, 20 up front. 5 for 38, something like that.

as far as peters goes why should we extend him? he's had one season at LT, got hurt, and has 3 years on his deal left.

is he gonna sit out for 3 years? no way.

will he sit out this year? uh uh. he'll play this year, we'll make sure he is as good or better, then we can extend him after this season.

2 years left is fine for a renegotiation, but 3 is too many.

I must start by stating that I also think that the two players deserve to have bigger contracts than what they have now, but I don't completely agree with your analysis. I think Evans has proved that he CAN be a top flight receiver, but the problem is, he hasn't been consistent. I think there are a lot of factors that have led to that, but the top receivers don't make excuses, they make plays. Double teams are a fact of life for big receivers and they still manage to make those big plays. Evans disappeared last year when we needed him most and he has not had good years for the past two seasons. I think he deserves a pay increase, but he needs to show me something during the season that he is worth it. Right now, I think he is a 6 mil a year receiver, but not an 11 mil a year like Fitzgerald or Boldin.

Peters also deserves a bigger payday. However, he has only played one full season at tackle. I hardly think that demonstrates that he has "proved himself" as a top tier tackle. There have been too many one hit wonders in the NFL at the Tackle position for me to say that he has "proved" himself. Buffalo just renegotiated his contract, and I know that he is "only" getting 4 mil a year. However, that is due to the fact that he is still an unproven commodity at the position. He played well for a season and a half. He has three years left on his current contract, which is laden with incentives. I think he should play for another season, allow Buffalo to resign Evans and Crowell, who are in a state of limbo at the end of the season, and then worry about signing Peters to a higher paying extension. His actions right now are a bit selfish and doesn't say much for his concern for the team as a whole. I think he is a very good talent at guard, but I don't want to pay him some huge and outrageous contract and lose the ability to re-sign Evans, Crowell and our Rookies. Not to mention, this sets a bad precedent within the organization: you have a good year, you get to whine and cry your way to a higher contract. Evans and Lynch each had a great season in their careers. Should we have given Lynch a 6 mil pay increase after last season? Should we have given Evans a higher contract of 6 mil after his second season? No. Because they hadn't proven themselves to be consistently good at their positions over a long enough time at that point in their career. I think Peters needs to play through this season and wait in line behind veteran players who have actually earned their pay increases over time.

You hit the nail on the head...

Plus..Evans...0 pro bowls

Peters...1 pro bowl (just barely)

0 playoff apperances.

Evans, his rookie deal is finishing...he had some flashes of greatness and didn't demand a new deal..played his contract

and is due a new deal...Lets make it fair and take care of him..he deserves it.

Peters...you still have somethings to prove, plus next year the cap will be higher and you can get even more $$..

Get us to the playoffs, make the probowl again and you will be the highest paid LT in the league next year.

i think we extend evans this year, like 7 or 8 per, 20 up front. 5 for 38, something like that.

as far as peters goes why should we extend him? he's had one season at LT, got hurt, and has 3 years on his deal left.

is he gonna sit out for 3 years? no way.

will he sit out this year? uh uh. he'll play this year, we'll make sure he is as good or better, then we can extend him after this season.

2 years left is fine for a renegotiation, but 3 is too many.

I don't really think that there is or should be a set time as to when its a good time to renegotiate except for the final year of the deal to extend the player longer. Although atleast in this case it would make more sense. He would have played more then 2 years at that position, and has played more then half of his contract

Also, as for Peters, he knew their plan was to develop him as a RT and eventually work him out at LT. In the first year of this deal they had already made the switch (after the Bye week 2 years ago) so why would you agree to a long term deal if you were going to feel underpayed? Why would you not go with a 2-3 year deal knowing that they were going to start grooming you to play a more "elite" position

Have I missed something? Have Evans or Peters missed a Game yet? Has Evans missed an Off Season Practice due to his Deal?

If this is lingering still in the 3rd or 4th week of Camp I'll be a bit concerned...But no need for panic on June 12th...Good God get out and enjoy the nice weather... :lol: