Sign the petition!

its beautiful habitat for over 200 species

Yes, all 20 million square acres of it. That's about...100K species per acre...no, wait, that's the rain forest. ANWR has a hundred thousand acres per species.

Manhattan has more biodiversity. That's a ridiculous argument.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its beautiful habitat for over 200 species

So is my lawn. Care to guess how many of those 200 species live there during the time construction will be going on? The answer is easy. ANWR is the size of South Carolina. How many "species" do you figure live there? My bathtub drain might be more diverse than ANWR from October through April.

And beautiful? Pass whatever the hell you're smoking. It looks like the moon 315 days a year. This is a photo from "SPRING". I would venture to guess that out of all the places in the world where resource development happens, ANWR likely loses the "Number of Species Possibly Harmed" battle by a wide margin.

And how did all those species do when we started drilling 80 miles to the East? They fuggin' THRIVED. But let's keep using bankrupt, emotional arguments instead of facing reality.

So is my lawn. Care to guess how many of those 200 species live there during the time construction will be going on? The answer is easy. ANWR is the size of South Carolina. How many "species" do you figure live there? My bathtub drain might be more diverse than ANWR from October through April.

And beautiful? Pass whatever the hell you're smoking. It looks like the moon 315 days a year. This is a photo from "SPRING". I would venture to guess that out of all the places in the world where resource development happens, ANWR likely loses the "Number of Species Possibly Harmed" battle by a wide margin.

And how did all those species do when we started drilling 80 miles to the East? They fuggin' THRIVED. But let's keep using bankrupt, emotional arguments instead of facing reality.

If we dig, it will upset the environment to an extent, but a decision has to be made- are we going to continue to maintain our current lifestyle or cut down and focus on other issues such as the environment. We can't have it both ways and don't have a heck of a lot of time to decide either.

I think ANWR is a moot point anyways- neither candidate is for drilling there, so it probably has no chance of happening

What do you think the futures market would do if the president said this:

“My fellow citizen of the United States, as of today, we are opening up our coasts, ANWR, and the Utah valley to oil and gas drilling and mining our vast resources of shall oil. We should be able to produce an additional 8-15 million barrels of oil per day starting in the year 2012 from all our known reserves. Our country has an estimated 20-40 billion barrels of known oil reserves and possibly 10-20 billion more in unknown reserves. We also will approved the building of 25 new nuclear power plants that should come on line in the next 10 years. This vast expansion of our natural resources should make us energy independent in ten years. As a result, a 5% tax on all fossil fuels will be imposed on all oil products to fund research and development into the next generation power and energy systems for our future generations only. Thank you and may God Bless America.”

The next day, the gas prices will start to fall dramatically, the stock market will take off as people start to invest in oil and technology companies, optimism for our future will sweep the country that will spur spending and a total economic recovery will begin. The dollar will start to rebound drastically as people will now have confidence in the U.S. reducing its deficit and curtail spending.

The next day, the gas prices will start to fall dramatically, the stock market will take off as people start to invest in oil and technology companies, optimism for our future will sweep the country that will spur spending and a total economic recovery will begin. The dollar will start to rebound drastically as people will now have confidence in the U.S. reducing its deficit and curtail spending.

And those in Congress that represent the opposite party of the President would block the move. Regardless of which party it was.

If this ever happened, it would help more economies than just ours

Call it stupid all you want... I could give a two sh*ts about the enviro...

I find that hard to believe. First off, we should have been digging somewhere a long time ago. Second, ruin the environment, and you have nowhere to live. Third, our oil reserves should factor in somewhere

I find that hard to believe. First off, we should have been digging somewhere a long time ago. Second, ruin the environment, and you have nowhere to live. Third, our oil reserves should factor in somewhere

You know what I mean... With in reason of course... Ya, don't run roughshod over it, but don't NOT touch it.

Kinda like the old Woody Guthrie line:

"Columbia River if you are gonna ramble, you will do some work for me."

You know what I mean... With in reason of course... Ya, don't run roughshod over it, but don't NOT touch it.

Kinda like the old Woody Guthrie line:

"Columbia River if you are gonna ramble, you will do some work for me."

I pretty much figured thats what you meant. Here is the thing that gets me- is it worth digging anymore? If we will be changed over energywise by the time we start to see benefits, will it be worth it? I have no idea how close we are to the change over, or what source it will be to. All I know, is that there will be no digging in ANWR regardless of what anybody thinks.

I pretty much figured thats what you meant. Here is the thing that gets me- is it worth digging anymore? If we will be changed over energywise by the time we start to see benefits, will it be worth it? I have no idea how close we are to the change over, or what source it will be to. All I know, is that there will be no digging in ANWR regardless of what anybody thinks.

Not sure. I see AD's point though. I used the analogy about how I save coin and I agree it isn't really working for me to just have the shiney stuff around... Yet, it is hard currency. Same with the reserves. Do we absorb it into the market that for one (well at least myself)I can't trust. And we sure the hell should do it like if one went to a "CoinStar" machine and get charged $.08 on a dollar!

I also gave the analogy of how my grandfather in the 1930's being "forced" to turn in his gold coins he was paid in... I just don't have trust in the system. This doesn't mean I will or we as a nation should stash everything in a mattress, by no means.

The amount is something and substantial, but is it really important? Can we get by sitting on this asset? We should be prepared to tap this asset though.