BEST week to be working from home

I think they could've won too...They have talented players, but their (usual) approach to the game I don't agree with. The majority of the time I've seen him, Toni disappears for long stretches of the game. It's like he's in there solely for his height, and Italy will defend until they can maybe get a free kick, and hope to find Toni's head. Del Piero was subbed in for PK's, and then didn't even shoot (likely he was #5?) With the lack of action up top, I would've probably brought him in sooner...Why not?

Pirlo is a smooth player, I like his game a lot and enjoy watching him...

Is there a new rule about stopping play when a player is down? The ref stopped play twice today when Spain had the ball because Italian players were down. I was under the impression that unless it appeared to be a head injury, play on...Usually the opponent will play the ball out of bounds if they feel the injured player is legitimately hurt and needs a trainer...

It depends. I mean the Italians won 4 WC and 1 EC as well as numerous CL titles with the mentality they are used to. It's just there is a difference on the type of coach implementing it.

In WC 2006 when confronting Germany, even though we played defensive, we still knew how to attack. Lippi was a genius at this and he was a genius at it with Juventus. On the other hand, Donadoni seemed to play scared (ala Arrigo Sacchi) and told his midfields not to move up too much. How can you play that style with guys like Aquilani and De Rossi in the midfield who have played lights out for Roma this year? We weren't the weaker team, but we played like we were. I think if Lippi comes back we will have a better showing in 2010.

Del Piero is useless. He has and always will be unless he's wearing the black and white. Luca Toni ripped through the Bundesliga this year. No reason he shouldn't be able to score goals... but maybe having support from Ribery and Klose were the big difference?

Pirlo is getting old. De Rossi/Aquilani are more than capable of moving up that midfield. Cassano is still one of the most talented in Italy. Although a young crop of players will be moving up soon like Giovinco and that will help for 2010, but it has to start with the coach.

All in all, at least we knocked out the french :blink:

I don't know about rules whether they have to stop the play or not.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends. I mean the Italians won 4 WC and 1 EC as well as numerous CL titles with the mentality they are used to. It's just there is a difference on the type of coach implementing it.

In WC 2006 when confronting Germany, even though we played defensive, we still knew how to attack. Lippi was a genius at this and he was a genius at it with Juventus. On the other hand, Donadoni seemed to play scared (ala Arrigo Sacchi) and told his midfields not to move up too much. How can you play that style with guys like Aquilani and De Rossi in the midfield who have played lights out for Roma this year? We weren't the weaker team, but we played like we were.

Yes...Well said, that's what I was trying to say but wasn't very clear...I see the 11 players Italy can put on the field at any time, and the success they have had individually at the club level, and yet they seem so stuck in this defensive mindset for the national team that they play a level below their potential...Almost scared, like you said.

Also, in WC '06, they had Cannavaro playing out of his mind and locking down the defensive end, which probably allowed the midfielders a bit more freedom to go forward...

Yes...Well said, that's what I was trying to say but wasn't very clear...I see the 11 players Italy can put on the field at any time, and the success they have had individually at the club level, and yet they seem so stuck in this defensive mindset for the national team that they play a level below their potential...Almost scared, like you said.

Also, in WC '06, they had Cannavaro playing out of his mind and locking down the defensive end, which probably allowed the midfielders a bit more freedom to go forward...

Chiellini more than made up for the loss of Cannavaro. Donadoni has no excuse. If he stays on, I hope he learned his lesson.

Is there a new rule about stopping play when a player is down? The ref stopped play twice today when Spain had the ball because Italian players were down. I was under the impression that unless it appeared to be a head injury, play on...Usually the opponent will play the ball out of bounds if they feel the injured player is legitimately hurt and needs a trainer...

There's no new rule... the ref can stop play whenever he wants but nothing is strictly written about stopping play when a player is injured.

so far, russia/spain... not much to talk about.

I'm starting to think playing defensive was the only real way to beat Spain as that counter attack would have decimated us if we didn't...

big last match today!!!!!

Germany and Spain. I dont have an all-out favorite in this. I'll be cheering for Germany, but I'll be happy just watching football...

Can't wait...no David Villa today, I don't think...Klose and Schweinsteigger will put on a CLINIC!

Did anyone see the pregame? They were talking about Michael Ballack and his history of always playing on the second place team. This year alone, he finished 2nd in his league, 2nd in Champions League, and 2nd in the Carling Cup. Rece Davis compared him to Jim Kelly. Sonsabitches.

Wow...pathetic effort by the Germans. Slow, uninspired soccer. Congrats to the Spaniards...they were clearly the better team and earned this championship.