The Comet from Crystal Beach

The comet was my first roller coaster and it freaked me out - I did not like the fact that only a bar over my lap protected me from falling into Lake Erie. But, I went on it again, and again, and again, and again. It must have been about when the park closed - around '86 or so?

Yeah, from the top ten coaster site lined above this quote captured what freaked me out the most:

General Manager John Collins explains how The Comet found its new home at The Great Escape in 1993, where it now ranks among the best coasters in the world because of its historical significance, elements of hills and drops, and terrific "air" time giving riders the sensation of floating out of their seats.

The comet was my first roller coaster and it freaked me out - I did not like the fact that only a bar over my lap protected me from falling into Lake Erie. But, I went on it again, and again, and again, and again. It must have been about when the park closed - around '86 or so?

Yeah, from the top ten coaster site lined above this quote captured what freaked me out the most:

It was around '86... A group of us snuck in (friend had a house on the beach right next door)... I still have a gorilla sign/prop from the "Laugh In The Dark"... Along with a few other items!

I am such a rebel!

:lol:

The Magic Carpet! :lol::w00t:

There were so many cool things... The Giant (Yellow) RollerCoaster was cool and nice transition to the big boy Comet!

I remember asking my mom how much she needed to bring moneywise for an outing (we had 4 children and of course my father... :lol: )... She said 10-20 dollars! Ah, the good times!

There were so many cool things... The Giant (Yellow) RollerCoaster was cool and nice transition to the big boy Comet!

I remember asking my mom how much she needed to bring moneywise for an outing (we had 4 children and of course my father... :w00t: )... She said 10-20 dollars! Ah, the good times!

I'm trying to recall how many tix it took for a Comet ride - 10? They were something like 3 cents each way back when. That was a goodly sum, though.

There was also a spiffy shooting gallery at Crystal Beach The rifles were .22 rimfire Winchester Mdl #62 exposed hammer pumps - untethered...one could have turned them on the crowd. Of course, nobody did. Can you imagine such today? :lol: