Only 10K showed up to Obamas 50K+ rally

What happens when you hold a campaign kick off rally 30 miles from DC and Maryland. Try to show that Virginia is a purple state. Have your campaign people and media say for a couple days that 50-60 thousand people are expected.

and then only 10,000 people show up, the governer leaves early because he has other things to do and the leading candidate for the states senate spot doesn't show up.

Of course you call it a success, but this has got to be some major egg on his face.

I call it a bad location. Nissan is pain in the butt place to get in and out of. Plus at 6:00pm on Thursday, bad time as well.

Excuses are like !@#$s. I live right near there and they were telling us to avoid like the plague. As close as it is to DC and Maryland, they had expected at least half to come from there.

Also, where was Warner? Guess he didn't buy into the hype. Or didn't want those coattails disrupting his campaign where he has a 10 point lead in the polls.

Excuses are like !@#$s. I live right near there and they were telling us to avoid like the plague. As close as it is to DC and Maryland, they had expected at least half to come from there.

Also, where was Warner? Guess he didn't buy into the hype. Or didn't want those coattails disrupting his campaign where he has a 10 point lead in the polls.

So if you live near there you know it is a pain in the butt to get there. It's a fact Nissan is a pain in the butt to get to. Especially during rush hour. No excuse, just fact.

Obama disrupting Warners campaign. HAHAHAHA!! Yeah a Presidential candidate would never help another candidate.

So if you live near there you know it is a pain in the butt to get there. It's a fact Nissan is a pain in the butt to get to. Especially during rush hour. No excuse, just fact.

Obama disrupting Warners campaign. HAHAHAHA!! Yeah a Presidential candidate would never help another candidate.

So if his campaign people are so smart, why were they telling everyone it was going to be 50-60 thousand people. Obviously they knew it had to be a pain in the ass to get to. They knew it would be during rush hour. Yet they went forward with it. Imagine how many they would have estimated if it had been on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon? Stop trying to cover, that was a major slap in the face to his campaign and he has a long wany to go if he expects to win the election. It's not even close in this so called "purple" state and I expect he will find similar results elsewhere. It's funny watching the media play up how 10K showed up at hhis general campaign ickoff rally and I've yet to see anyone point out that it was 40-50K less than expected.

BTW, it really isn't that bad to get there, there are several major routes that get you within 2 miles of the multiple extrances. It gets a little tight right at the entry ways, but they have concerts there all the time right as rush hour ends like last night. The staff and police are very good and moving traffic along.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, it really wasn't at rushhour since they opened up and started pre-rally stuff at 3PM.

So if his campaign people are so smart, why were they telling everyone it was going to be 50-60 thousand people. Obviously they knew it had to be a pain in the ass to get to. They knew it would be during rush hour. Yet they went forward with it. Imagine how many they would have estimated if it had been on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon? Stop trying to cover, that was a major slap in the face to his campaign and he has a long wany to go if he expects to win the election. It's not even close in this so called "purple" state and I expect he will find similar results elsewhere. It's funny watching the media play up how 10K showed up at hhis general campaign ickoff rally and I've yet to see anyone point out that it was 40-50K less than expected.

BTW, it really isn't that bad to get there, there are several major routes that get you within 2 miles of the multiple extrances. It gets a little tight right at the entry ways, but they have concerts there all the time right as rush hour ends like last night. The staff and police are very good and moving traffic along.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, it really wasn't at rushhour since they opened up and started pre-rally stuff at 3PM.

Why is it that I am trying to cover? Especially when I said bad location, bad time for the event? I am merely stating the fact that Nissan is a bad location for an event like this. And really? A major slap in the campaign face? Heh? :thumbsup: Of course, there is a few ways to get there and I am sure it's quite easy when there is nothing going on. I have been to many concerts/events there - I have always found it to be an annoying drive. Oh and most people have jobs - kind of hard to get out there at 3:00pm - which means that depending on where you are coming from you would have to leave at 2:00pm.

Virginia is becoming more and more blue every year.

Washington Post

"Earlier yesterday, he campaigned with former Virginia governor Mark R. Warner (D), a candidate for U.S. Senate, at a town hall meeting in Bristol in southwest Virginia."

See! This is proof that Obama can't win without Hillary! [/PastaJoe]

Plus with people were (and are) still cleaning up from Wednesday's wicked storms...nah, I'm sure that wouldn't impact attendance. :thumbsup:

See! This is proof that Obama can't win without Hillary! [/PastaJoe]

Plus with people were (and are) still cleaning up from Wednesday's wicked storms...nah, I'm sure that wouldn't impact attendance. :thumbsup:

Then why were they still telling people to expect 50-60K yesterday afternoon?

I'm sure some junior staffer just forgot to run the final "Are you coming to our rally or do you have to clean up storm damage?" poll Thursday. :thumbsup:

From past rally's no reason not to expect a very large crowd. I do agree with you, seems as though someone didn't do their homework on this area. If anything, I would think that you would want to underestimate the numbers, that way your fine if you're low and outstanding if you exceed.

I'm sure some junior staffer just forgot to run the final "Are you coming to our rally or do you have to clean up storm damage?" poll Thursday. :thumbsup:

It was the VA dem chairman that was talking about those numbers on WTOP as I was driving up to Fairfax yesterday afternoon about 5:30. That was only a half hour before the rally and they still said they expected 50-60K and said they stimated they already had over 12 thousand show up. Needless to say since they went through gates and counted, the real number was 10K total, so how did he come up with 12K a half hour before hand.

It was the VA dem chairman that was talking about those numbers on WTOP as I was driving up to Fairfax yesterday afternoon about 5:30. That was only a half hour before the rally and they still said they expected 50-60K and said they stimated they already had over 12 thousand show up. Needless to say since they went through gates and counted, the real number was 10K total, so how did he come up with 12K a half hour before hand.

I assume that the reason that you are reporting that you heard "50-60,000 people were expected at an Obama event in Virginia" from a radio report, they actually said "Four kittens were sold by third graders in the New Zealand".

I have no doubt that you heard this on the radio, but there is not 1 article or mention of it on the web, so although it's a big deal to you, nobody else seems to care. On the contrary, they seem to be making a big deal that 10,000 showed up right after a major storm in a strong republican state, citing people that were making up excuses to get out of work, or those driving hundreds of miles to see him.

Now we'll hear it's because the media is so busy ball washing Obama...

they seem to be making a big deal that 10,000 showed up right after a major storm in a strong republican state

might want to clarify the last 6 words in that statement with a couple more....

in the democrat leaning area of a strong republican state

I doubt Obama would get 10k elsewhere in the state

In reality there were 20,000 people there.

But they were from Florida and Michigan so only counted half

And the people from Michigan were just passing through and uncommitted about where they were going, but they were counted as going to Obama's rally.

And the people from Michigan were just passing through and uncommitted about where they were going, but they were counted as going to Obama's rally.

Kinda like how Hillary only attracted 300 non-media people to her 'victory' speech after the last primary on Tuesday?