So, the Chinese are harmless?

Good find.....I almost choked on this line:

"The Central Intelligence Agency’s chief cyber-security officer, Tom Donahue"

People don't seem to want to see the big connect between Russia, China and Iran. The US is at the financial mercy of China and the Middle East right now. Meanwhile these three have been swapping arms, oil and goodies for a while. As much as Iraq looks to be needless, I think (hope) our leaders are thinking 3 steps ahead with that move. Between Iran, China, Russia, Israel + borders, Hugo Chavez making moves on Columbia, etc.....the vultures are starting to circle, bigtime. The US is going to get tested like it never has been for this current generation.

People don't seem to want to see the big connect between Russia, China and Iran. The US is at the financial mercy of China and the Middle East right now. Meanwhile these three have been swapping arms, oil and goodies for a while. As much as Iraq looks to be needless, I think (hope) our leaders are thinking 3 steps ahead with that move. Between Iran, China, Russia, Israel + borders, Hugo Chavez making moves on Columbia, etc.....the vultures are starting to circle, bigtime. The US is going to get tested like it never has been for this current generation.

:blink: A test for this generation :unsure:

I just hope they don't have to study when American Idol® is on

Shortly before I retired from the Marine Corps last year our NIPR net was down for three days. We were all fired up and mad at the NMCI villains who administered the network. Well a few weeks later I was talking with the Regimental CO about this and that and the subject of the network stoppage came up. He said that the Chinese had hacked the net and that was the reason for the outage. Not long after that there was a news release from the Government that mention the Chinese had hacked into the National War College. The piece claimed that they hadn't penetrated very deep, but who really knows.

Here's something else to ponder- If you're a one in a million genius here in the US, how many of you are there in China?

I couldn't agree more. We are an arrogant nation. So many think that there will never be an attack on our soil and we're the great this or that. If you know your history, Empires gradually rise to power but when the fall, they fall precipitously.

I do feel that our children (or maybe us) are going to see some hard times in their lives. I feel it in my gut, as do I believe most Americans.

What a great post, 100% agree. This needs to be acknowledged and discussed with much more urgency in debates and the political sphere in general, IMO. China is not afraid of us.

When is our cyber Pearl Harbor coming?

http://www.nationaljournal.com/njmagazine/...080531_6948.php

Did someone ever say China was harmless? I thought it is pretty much taken for granted that they are the next major threat to the US--the CIA has stated this. This aritlce is not surprising to me.

As for Chavez and Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador responded to Colombia's attack on FARC inside Ecuador. The combined forces of both countries can not match Colombia. The threat in S.A. is that we have lost influence in nearly half the countries as the left has won election after election. And the "threat" is that they are nationalizing resources once owned by private companies, many of them US. I'd blame the current admin because of their myopic focus on Iraq.

Did someone ever say China was harmless? I thought it is pretty much taken for granted that they are the next major threat to the US--the CIA has stated this. This aritlce is not surprising to me.

As for Chavez and Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador responded to Colombia's attack on FARC inside Ecuador. The combined forces of both countries can not match Colombia. The threat in S.A. is that we have lost influence in nearly half the countries as the left has won election after election. And the "threat" is that they are nationalizing resources once owned by private companies, many of them US. I'd blame the current admin because of their myopic focus on Iraq.

I'm not sure it this is just a bad choice of words or not. But China is not the next major threat. IMO, they are a threat now and have been for some time. They're just biding their time waiting for the right hand to be dealt. The rest of the world is in no hurry to take us down. They'll wait for the right time. If we get passive weenies in charge of this country that may just be what they're waiting for.

The problem is the laws of the US - they prevent the US Cyber defense teams from acting except under specifically authorized situations to do much more than monitor and advise. Equivant to a store not being able to arrest shoplifters just take pictures and get better cameras. A good offense sometimes is necessary for a good defense.

You are all a bunch of Chicken Littles... :unsure:

Have you not heard that we're in the process of passing landmark Alien relation and peace initiative legislation in Colorado? I think it's pretty safe to say we're a few steps ahead of the Chinese.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the latest shenanigans from the 'harmless' Chinese:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9...;show_article=1

But, hey, let's all argue about gay marriage.

It is worth noting that these incidents are only the ones made public. I just hope our espionage capabilities are greater than theirs. But with our open society, it's probably not the case...

and the fun doesn't stop

chinese hack into lawmakers computers

Rep. Frank Wolf, a Virginia Republican, said that similar incidents — also originating from China — have taken place on computers of other members of the House and at least one House committee.

A spokesman for Wolf said the four computers in his office were being used by staff members working on human rights issues and that the hacking began in August 2006. Wolf is a longtime critic of the Chinese government's human rights record.