Youboty to join the Browns ?

Please. A mere 5th round pick for a player is not some showing of great confidence in a player but really is relative chump change as far as value goes.

Good players have to come from somewhere and the draft is one of those places. However, behind the marketing effort of the NFL and ESPN and Mel Kiper, the draft is greatly over-valued as an asset.

Yes good players are more likely to be drafted, but as seen with occaisional example of a Jason Peters its not impossible to find Pro Bowl talent that somehow never even get drafted. Its even more common to find players of the ilk of Mike Williams and Harrington who simply prove to be busts despite their top 5 player designation. Success of drafted players is heavily weighted toward first day choices and a 5th round pick is something easily parted with in exchange for a marginal talent if you have a real immediate need at a spot.

Yes, there are examples like the Bills finding two of their current stalwarts in the 5th round like Butler and Williams. However, one has to look long and hard to find much consistent contribution on the Bills beyond them from 5th round picks who tend to end up being more like former CB stalwart Sean King or failed project Ben Sobieski.

If all the Bills get from Savage is a 5th for Youbouty this is a huge admission of failure on our part.

I think Youboty is just a huge failure, period.

He was a good college player who hasn't translated into the NFL. We really will be lucky to get anything out of him instead of just cutting him. The Bills back office is probably amazed that someone else in the league even knew who he was. Thank God college football is big in Ohio or else we'd just have another roster cut on our hands.

Please. A mere 5th round pick for a player is not some showing of great confidence in a player but really is relative chump change as far as value goes.

Kinda explains why you aren't employed as an NFL GM. 5th round is a valuable commodity. If we grabbed Youboty with our 3rd and we now get a 5th, and you consider that to be a failure on our part, what then is JP worth when we spent a 1st on him? Point is we'd be lucky to get a 5th for JP, who plays a premiere position and has done a lot more in the NFL than Ashton friggin' Youboty. Youboty will more likely be cut and picked up free of charge by the Browns, or maybe they'll throw a 7th rounder our way to secure his rights. But a 5th is absolutely ludicrous, and no one worth their salt in the NFL considers mid round draft picks as chump change.

I see a player the Bills thought enough of to draft in the 3rd round, & by the way many reports had him going in the 2nd. His rookie year was derailed by his mom dying & the responsibility he took on with his younger siblings. Here was a young man, not even a senior in college, on his own for the first time, to accept that responsibility is VERY mature in my view. Last year when given the chance to play, I thought he did well. I would hate to see the Bills give up on him to soon.

I agree with you completely. The people who need instant gratification out of a player know very little about the real world, and should go back to listening to WGR 55 and MTV- because those people pander to the people who don't care much for reality

The Browns really need another CB, so it might be worthwhile. I doubt we get much more than a 5th for him at this point, though.

I'd make it a conditional pick that could go up to a 3rd rounder.

I think the key point to take from the linked article is "The Browns want to find a CB with experience". How exactly does Youboty fit into the equation?

Youboty has a lot of experience. He's played a lot in the last couple of years.

I'd take a box of tape for him. :lol:

How about ten maple bats?

I'd make it a conditional pick that could go up to a 3rd rounder.

Youboty has a lot of experience. He's played a lot in the last couple of years.

I hope you're being sarcastic SD. Miami is being offered 3rd round picks for Jason Taylor. 5th is wildly optimistic for this guy. Experience? 3 tackles in year one. 23 last year

Yo Spartacus! AY=BUST

Damn! google "cleavage" images to make your day :lol:

I hope you're being sarcastic SD. Miami is being offered 3rd round picks for Jason Taylor. 5th is wildly optimistic for this guy. Experience? 3 tackles in year one. 23 last year

Yo Spartacus! AY=BUST

Damn straight! In more than one way!!

Yo Spartacus! AY=BUST

Taylor WAS great, but he is 35 YEARS OLD. He has 2-3 years left tops.

Kinda explains why you aren't employed as an NFL GM. 5th round is a valuable commodity. If we grabbed Youboty with our 3rd and we now get a 5th, and you consider that to be a failure on our part, what then is JP worth when we spent a 1st on him? Point is we'd be lucky to get a 5th for JP, who plays a premiere position and has done a lot more in the NFL than Ashton friggin' Youboty. Youboty will more likely be cut and picked up free of charge by the Browns, or maybe they'll throw a 7th rounder our way to secure his rights. But a 5th is absolutely ludicrous, and no one worth their salt in the NFL considers mid round draft picks as chump change.

The point which I was responding too was someone making the contradictory claim that a a man with personnel smarts would see such great value in Youbouty that he would give up a highly valuable 5th round choice for him.

If in fact Youbouty is worth such a great value then why are we giving up on him. This is the contradictory point raised which deserves an answer.

My response is the same as yours to the extent that Youbouty has obviously failed to produce much as a Bill in his two years.

Those who claim he did nothing are simply wrong as his starting and playing a significant chunk of time in a win led by good D play over NYJ in 06 and a few very solid hits as a gunner on punt duty is more than nothing. However, it is significantly less than what was hoped for an reasonably expected from Youbouty at this point.

There are lots of reasons I am not a GM (and thank gosh I am not as I am sure I would screw it up badly) but one of them is that I do not generally have the pride in their football work that many GMs seem to have in that even when a player is not working out they seem to have trouble admitting their errors and walking away.

I think that the most likely reason they do not trade him (unless they get a drop dead deal which a mere 5th for someone you spent a 3rd on would not be)is that the Bills braintrust already showed a bit of admitting their failings by drafting 3 CBs when if their first day pick in 06 Youbouty had worked out.

Still methinks that the lack of confidence shown in this draft is likely as far as these human beings who are the Bills braintrust will go in letting Youbouty go.

In many ways, i think this is actually an intelligent move for several reasons:

1. There actually are real reasons which may provide an explanation for Youbouty's failures which do not preclude him from playing well enough in 08. If in fact the death of his sole care giver Mom in 06 and a high ankle sprain were the reasons rather than simply excuses for his less than hoped for production then perhaps he can be an adequate player. It is reasonable to doubt this based on what we have seen before, but in addition to being reluctant to admit their mistakes, GMs really hate when they give up on a guy and see him pull a Bryce Paup and star for his new team. My guess is Youbouty gets a chance to compete on the field at least in pre-season and probably in regular season because he has shown some ST production.

2. When one looks at the likely reasons the Bills drafted Corner and Cox, position play may well have not been the lead reason. We need to reload badly on ST after a downturn in production last year and several ST stalwarts like Aiken, Stamer and Wire going by by. Even part of what made McKelvin an elite player on the Bills board (all reports have as us viewing him as a top 10 player who slipped to our #11 pick) is that we were incredibly impressed with his return work. It would not surprise me if folks are overblowing the disappointment the braintrust feels in Youbouty (my guess is that they are very disappointed in his output, but may well not blame his talent for the problems).

3. One mark of this team is a belief that competition is good. Particularly on the second day of the draft when virtually all picks are BPA rather than need, I can easily see the Bills choosing Corner and Cox because they were impressed with them and not because they were driven by some screaming need.

Again, I do think that their is value in a 5th round pick. As I said Pro Bowlers can be found in UDFA so certainly I would not dismiss the value of a 5th. However, one can believe that and also feel that a 5th is RELATIVE chump change compared to the Bills braintrust choosing to eat crow over their 3rd round pick in 06.

I'm off by a year, he will be 34 by next season. He is still DAMN OLD -unless he goes to the Pats* & their HGH program.

Sounds about right for the Bills. Everybody knows vintage vets on the lines with youth and greenhorns in the secondary and offensive skills positions is the way to build a team for a championship run. :lol:

I heard Phil Savage on Sirius today talking about the Browns' lack of depth at CB. He said they were looking to trade for a player drafted in the last couple of years that has not worked out for whatever reason. Sounded like he was describing Youboty exactly during the interview. Also said the Browns have enough depth at certain positions that they have good depth players they could trade for this type of prospect.

I have no idea how many other players around the league fit this description but it really sounded like he was describing Youboty.

Per Rotoworld:

Ashton Youboty-DB-Bills May. 28 - 8:33 pm et

The Bills reportedly have no plans to trade CB Ashton Youboty at this time.

Cleveland reportedly expressed interest in the Ohio native, but Buffalo intends to hang onto the 2006 third-round pick to compete in training camp. The Bills are deep at cornerback, so Youboty is no lock to hang around into September. The Browns might just hold out and see if Youboty is cut.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

I see a player the Bills thought enough of to draft in the 3rd round, & by the way many reports had him going in the 2nd. His rookie year was derailed by his mom dying & the responsibility he took on with his younger siblings. Here was a young man, not even a senior in college, on his own for the first time, to accept that responsibility is VERY mature in my view. Last year when given the chance to play, I thought he did well. I would hate to see the Bills give up on him to soon.
I agree with you completely. The people who need instant gratification out of a player know very little about the real world, and should go back to listening to WGR 55 and MTV- because those people pander to the people who don't care much for reality

:rolleyes:

I really don't understand the hatred for a guy who has taken a little longer to develop than anticipated after some serious personal issues and coming out of college early. I've seen progress in his game, and if he can overcome some of the nagging little injuries, I think he'll keep developing nicely.