Vince Young considered retirement in 2007

as per NFL.COM and Rotoworld:

Vince Young-QB- Titans May. 23 - 8:44 pm et

Vince Young said that he considered quitting football during training camp last summer because of the pressures

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young told NFL.com.

"There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it ... My teammates helped lift me out of it."

Keith Bulluck confirms the prospect was real at the time, but we wouldn't take it too seriously. Young left Texas a year early and this is just a sign of a kid showing some immaturity while dealing with the pressures of the NFL.

Ricky Williams, Mike Williams, Vince Young, (help me out here Bluefire, who are some other Texas gems that crack under pressure?)

Texas has to have the lowest long term return on investment when it comes to high draft picks. Heck, what ever happened to James Patton?

Although we did get Roosevelt Leaks from there. That would actually be a great name for a band.

Texas has to have the lowest long term return on investment when it comes to high draft picks. Heck, what ever happened to James Patton?

That Earl Campbell guy, he sucked too.

That Earl Campbell guy, he sucked too.

I'll bet I've seen him eat 150 pounds of fried chicken at a place called Angelo's in Houston. Earl's a great guy- and his freaking thighs are frightening. I spent about a year of my younger life (while Earl's career was coming to an end) declining his invitations to play handball. At the same time he accepted some of my invites to go drinking ;-)

as per NFL.COM and Rotoworld:

Vince Young-QB- Titans May. 23 - 8:44 pm et

Vince Young said that he considered quitting football during training camp last summer because of the pressures

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young told NFL.com.

"There was so much going on with my family. It was crazy being an NFL quarterback. It wasn't fun anymore. All of the fun was out of it ... My teammates helped lift me out of it."

Keith Bulluck confirms the prospect was real at the time, but we wouldn't take it too seriously. Young left Texas a year early and this is just a sign of a kid showing some immaturity while dealing with the pressures of the NFL.

Yeah, he ha so much pressure that he decided to say "F" it and have a coming out party at a local gay club...

Ricky Williams, Mike Williams, Vince Young, (help me out here Bluefire, who are some other Texas gems that crack under pressure?)

Although we did get Roosevelt Leaks from there. That would actually be a great name for a band.

How's Michael Huff panning out? He was supposedly leagues beyond Whitner at the time of the draft.

University of Texas has 3 number 1 picks all time

Ken Sims, Earl Campbell, Tommy Nobis..3 for 3 there..2 in the Hall of Fame the other Damn Good

After that though you are right they have been mediocre at best..

I'll bet I've seen him eat 150 pounds of fried chicken at a place called Angelo's in Houston. Earl's a great guy- and his freaking thighs are frightening. I spent about a year of my younger life (while Earl's career was coming to an end) declining his invitations to play handball. At the same time he accepted some of my invites to go drinking ;-)

I was at the Cotton Bowl the yr they played Notr Dame..My Grandpa took me..His thighs were like frieght trains each one of them....I saw him run over Charlie Waters and CLiff Harris simultaneously in a preseason game at Texas Stadium...Not many ever did that..

University of Texas has 3 number 1 picks all time

Ken Sims, Earl Campbell, Tommy Nobis..3 for 3 there..2 in the Hall of Fame the other Damn Good

After that though you are right they have been mediocre at best..

Right, but in the recent past, some real emotional flakes have come out. Just trying to identify a pattern, that's all.

At one time Buffalo was the most progressive city in North America and hosted the World's Fair because we were one of the only cities to have the electrical output to do it.

Things change!

Trent has already said something similar, he said he doesn't plan to play for too many years.

That alarmed me at first, but Edwards is just as enthusiastic as Favre out there on the field when things are clicking. If he looked at it as just a job, I would be worried. He already is a little older, so it just seems like he doesn't want to hold on at the end of his career for the sake of holding on. He knows much more than just football and wants to experience that as well.

I hope he improves, turns into the franchise QB, then signs one last big contract for 5 or 6 years after this one. That's good enough for me!

on the Texas thing....is there a real reason why these guys seem soft in recent years? Ricky Williams is a nice guy at heart, just really shy. Mike Williams seemed to charm the media and NFL scouts, yet he didn't have that extra gear. I don't follow college enough to know the details.

Casey Hampton, Derrick Dockery, DD Lewis (UDFA), Tim Crowder, Phil Dawson, Brandon Foster, Cedric Griffin, Aaron Ross, Michael Griffin, David Thomas, Ahmard Hall, Quentin Jammer, Derrick Johnson, Cory Redding, Shaun Rogers, Bo Scaife, Johnathan Scott, Marcus Tubbs, Selvin Young, Roderique Wright.

Yeah, those Longhorns sure have emotional problems, especially since Vince is still a QB. :lol:

Vince Young said.....

"I really thought long and hard about it," Young told NFL.com......

Me thinks he has other things on his mind....."long and hard"......teehee :rolleyes:

Honestly people, you can say this about a # of universities. Think about how many people get drafted from all of these "big name" programs each year that end up making no impact what so ever. Look at USC's track record over the past few years, with the exceptions of Carson Palmer, Troy Polamalu, and Lofa Tatupu. You have Mike Williams, Reggie Bush, Dwayne Jarrett, Darnell Bing, and Winston Justice just to name a few who haven't lived up to what they were supposed to be. The jury is still out on Lendale White. I'm sure you could come up with a list for every school of players who've flopped as well as some who are atleast solid players. Plus, Vince is only going into his third year in the league. I'd have taken him starting over JP. Atleast VY doesn't short-hop 5 yard passes checking domwn to a RB coming out of the backfield.

Is this for real?

Seriously, I wish I could just up and retire when I felt any kind of pressure at work, unfortunatly I never received anything near his salary or a signing bonus for taking my job that i go to 5 days a week for 40+ hours.

These "athletes" that cry and complain about the pressure should just quit and get real jobs. You are playing a freakin game for a living and making millions a year to do it. You have your names on jerseys and are doing things any of us would love to do for a fraction of the amount they make. Sure theres pressure to perform, and fans can be harsh, but thats why you are making the million dollar contracts to play a game.

Texas has literally had this rep going back to the 1970s -- remember Kenneth Sims getting drafted #1 overall by the Pats? Larry Felser wrote a column about it a couple of years ago. The conventional wisdom is that Texas players get treated like royalty in Austin (more so than in other places) and the NFL isn't as much fun for them (Shaun Rogers, by the way, is another recent example). Sure, there are a lot of exceptions, but the number of top tier players who've come out of their for 3+ decades who haven't shown the mental fortitude for the game is notable.