Bills hesitant to use rookie CB McKelvin as returner

Pro Football Weekly Blurb:

There was little contention entering April’s draft that whatever team landed Troy’s Leodis McKelvin would not only be gaining the services of one of the top cover corners in the rookie class, but also a player who would add some sizzle returning kickoffs and punts. Although more accomplished as a punt returner, McKelvin was effective at both, scoring seven touchdowns on returns throughout his collegiate career. But the way we hear it, his special-teams ability will be shelved in Buffalo, at least early on. With an already brilliant special-teams unit — arguably the best in the NFL — and a shoddy secondary, coach Dick Jauron wants McKelvin to learn the ropes of the defense first and foremost. McKelvin isn’t a particularly astute student of the game, and the feeling among the coaches is that throwing both the defensive and special-teams playbooks at him at once will stunt his development. Even if the team felt McKelvin could handle dual responsibilities, there’s no guarantee he’d improve the special-teams play, considering KR Terrence McGee and PR Roscoe Parrish are two of the best in the business.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was little contention entering April’s draft that whatever team landed Troy’s Leodis McKelvin would not only be gaining the services of one of the top cover corners in the rookie class, but also a player who would add some sizzle returning kickoffs and punts. Although more accomplished as a punt returner, McKelvin was effective at both, scoring seven touchdowns on returns throughout his collegiate career. But the way we hear it, his special-teams ability will be shelved in Buffalo, at least early on. With an already brilliant special-teams unit — arguably the best in the NFL — and a shoddy secondary, coach Dick Jauron wants McKelvin to learn the ropes of the defense first and foremost. McKelvin isn’t a particularly astute student of the game, and the feeling among the coaches is that throwing both the defensive and special-teams playbooks at him at once will stunt his development. Even if the team felt McKelvin could handle dual responsibilities, there’s no guarantee he’d improve the special-teams play, considering KR Terrence McGee and PR Roscoe Parrish are two of the best in the business.

I guess that makes some football sense, but his return skills have been so hyped up, I don't know how long they can keep him off of special teams...

I like the idea of him sticking to defense, we've got Roscoe and McGee for the return duties... at least for this first year. Pending on his play, if he is as good as we would like him to be, he will develop into a number 1 corner and if he does thats even more reason for him to stay off special teams. If he turns out to play the 2 or nickel, move him to special teams.

"He isn't an astute student of the game."

I don't know about anyone else, but I'd think that the special teams playbook would be easy for a returner. Why don't they just come out and say. "We don't trust him to know when to fair catch, let the ball go inside the 10, or turn it upfield."

What?!! ;)

I know there have been some 'not so bright' great conerbacks, but I've never heard of a player so dumb that his team is worried he'll get confused about what to do after catching a kicked ball. Especially when he performed both brilliantly in college!

This has to be bogus.

I like the idea of him sticking to defense, we've got Roscoe and McGee for the return duties... at least for this first year. Pending on his play, if he is as good as we would like him to be, he will develop into a number 1 corner and if he does thats even more reason for him to stay off special teams. If he turns out to play the 2 or nickel, move him to special teams.

But, if he is in the second coming of Devin Hester, as some draft experts seem to think, it would be tough to leave him on the bench. I know they can be wrong, but a number of analysts I heard/read, seemed to think McKelvin would take some time to learn the game as a corner in the NFL...but would make his biggest impact, as a rookie, as a return man.

Hester, almost single handedly won about 8 games for the Bears over the last two seasons...I know what your saying is true, but that could be one hell of a weapon, particularly for a team like ours, that has had its' struggles with scoring over the years.

But, if he is in the second coming of Devin Hester, as some draft experts seem to think, it would be tough to leave him on the bench. I know they can be wrong, but a number of analysts I heard/read, seemed to think McKelvin would take some time to learn the game as a corner in the NFL...but would make his biggest impact, as a rookie, as a return man.

Hester, almost single handedly won about 8 games for the Bears over the last two seasons...I know what your saying is true, but that could be one hell of a weapon, particularly for a team like ours, that has had its' struggles with scoring over the years.

I think the question for him is more along the lines of "Is he that much better than McGee and Parrish, that we want him to replace a guy that has experience doing it in the NFL?"

I doubt they'll NOT let him return some kicks or punts this year, seeing as how they had Leonhard returning some last year, but I think the coaching staff wants to put the emphasis on that they picked him to be a defensive player first and foremost, with his special teams ability being second.

I think the question for him is more along the lines of "Is he that much better than McGee and Parrish, that we want him to replace a guy that has experience doing it in the NFL?"

I doubt they'll NOT let him return some kicks or punts this year, seeing as how they had Leonhard returning some last year, but I think the coaching staff wants to put the emphasis on that they picked him to be a defensive player first and foremost, with his special teams ability being second.

Agreed!

I guess that makes some football sense, but his return skills have been so hyped up, I don't know how long they can keep him off of special teams...

I agree with the idea because it's not a glaring need for him to do that. It could very well be a BS story or a red herring put out by the team.

I agree there, but I have my doubts on believing that McKelvin is going to be as effective as a return man as Hester is or Parrish/McGee even. Just a hunch, but seeing as Hester can play both sides of the ball and has hands (we know McKelvin doesn't have hands and chances are that would make him ineffective on offense) I can't see him (McKelvin) being quite as good at returning as Hester. Its wishful thinking and he might be a damn good returner, but I wouldn't personally want to see it all that often, more or so every now and then, but not on a weekly basis. If he is the most effective playing CB let him stick to it for a while and let our proven returns do what they do best.

It also doesn't take a sharp person to realize they are going to get "JACKED UP" if they dont signal the fair catch, which I think he might just be smart enough to do. I think our brass doesn't want him returning right out of the gates to prevent injury and turnovers.

This makes sense to me. I don't see any reason why he should so much as return a kick in the preseason. We know he's got of ton of talent in that regard. Let's save him for defense until we need him for special teams. Maybe even alternate between McGee and McKelvin on kick returns to keep them fresh. I think that will help McGee a lot, too.

The less he returns kicks, the better.

A team would have to be CRAZY to replace McGee or Parrish on special teams. I really don't care what this kid did in college...McGee is easily top 3 in the league on kickoffs (some might say one of the best EVER) and Parrish is easily top three in the league on punts.

It just doesn't get much better than what we have now.

For the most part this published "factoid" would seem to point to one of two theories as being behind it:

1. The "insider" they talked to is jumping way ahead of any real decisions that are being made by the Bills braintrust as a big part of any decision is going to be not simply the preference of experts (even on the team and experts outside are totally ignored at this point, but will be based in some sense of reality as to how a player performs in practice once the fake world of real practice begins.

The initial OTA the Bills have held will be part of the teams braintrust beginning to assess reality, but the initial OTA involves activities like finding out where the lockers, showers, and practice field are located rather than any tests or decisions about schemes and formations.

The rookies spend a lot of their initial time being prepped on how to stay out of trouble at bars and learning how to deal with ticket requests from old friends as they do having a unit selected for them and learning the playbook in depth.

Sure, the braintrust has ideas about how they will use a player, but right now we are at an early enough stage that probably both Fewell and April are lobbying to get every resource they can and Jauron would be a fool to simply declare a player is going to focus on one aspect of the game when he potentially has a lot to offer elsewhere.

My guess is that any "insider" who claims that we are going to go in one direction right from the start with McKelvin is way ahead of reality in saying this is a done decision.

2. There are many possibilities but the second most likely one behind an "insider" claiming more knowledge than he has is that PFW is simply making this up and stating their own opinion trying to give it fake inside info credibility