REPORT: PATS* HAD HUGE ADVANTAGE OVER EVERY NFL TEAM

Good luck getting Congress to investigate the Pats*

How many Pats* fans are on this committee?

Five other committee members contacted Wednesday by ESPN.com declined comment on the possibility that they might be asked to look into the league's handling of Spygate. A glance at geographic loyalties -- and the presumable pressure that might come from Patriots fans -- suggests that Specter could face stumbling blocks. Three committee members hail from New England states: Leahy (D-VT), Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I.

Even if you thought the Pats* were guilty as sin, can you imagine trying to get reelected if you went through with this?

PTR

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Five other committee members contacted Wednesday by ESPN.com declined comment on the possibility that they might be asked to look into the league's handling of Spygate. A glance at geographic loyalties -- and the presumable pressure that might come from Patriots fans -- suggests that Specter could face stumbling blocks. Three committee members hail from New England states: Leahy (D-VT), Edward Kennedy, D-Mass., and Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I.

Even if you thought the Pats* were guilty as sin, can you imagine trying to get reelected if you went through with this?

PTR

Specter as a member of the GOP is very dependent upon the majority party Dems to get a Senate hearing on this topic and apparently he has already been turned down.

The Dems are already getting some grief for "merely" being the party of investigations rather than action because they see great political advantage and reasonable Constitutional arguments for investigating the Bush White House. Particularly after the MLB fisaco over Clemens and the House investigation, it is pretty doubtful that the Cheatriot situation will be subjected to Congressional inquiry and this is even before the Mass Senators and other Sens with Pats fans constituents weigh in against Senate hearings.

Specter is now calling for an independent investigation such as the one the MLB did on use of steroids and my guess is that it will be difficult to stop this from happening.

PTR

I think that the best that we can hope for is that Spector is the one who heads up the independant investigation. If a "Spector Report" comes out, I don't think that anything would be held back.

I can't see this going to Congress before an independent investigation has taken place, if at all.

If you look at Sen. Mitchell who headed up the Mitchell reports, he actually worked for the BoSox in 2006. I could see Spector lobbying to dig deep into this thing. The PA citizens certainly wouldn't oppose it (Steelers, Eagles, and some Bills/Giants fans).

One thing that surprised me about when the Mitchell report came out was that more Yankee fans weren't up in arms because a former Red Sox employee was the one doing the digging.

Anyone know if a current Senator would be allowed to head something like this up while still serving in office?

PTR

I don't know....on one hand, they're filibustering to not get Specter to the floor, so it seems like it's a conspiracy.

On the other hand, they're "filibustering" about something more important.

That said, this is quite a convenient time for Ted Kennedy to say that we have more important issues in this country (war in Iraq, gas prices, and foreclosures) than to focus on the Patriots* cheating.

I don't know....on one hand, they're filibustering to not get Specter to the floor, so it seems like it's a conspiracy.

On the other hand, they're "filibustering" about something more important.

That said, this is quite a convenient time for Ted Kennedy to say that we have more important issues in this country (war in Iraq, gas prices, and foreclosures) than to focus on the Patriots* cheating.

Yeah, isn't that something? I almost laughed outloud when I read that this morning.

Why don't we talk about how you killed someone driving drunk you fat whiney b@stard!

:devil:

If you were being serious, which I hope you weren't, that's like saying Barry Bonds, despite the 'roids, is one of the greatest baseball players ever.

That's the sad irony of Bonds' career. Even before the 'roids he was a sure bet 1st ballot HOFamer. And yes, he WAS one of the best ever. His career stats, offensively and defensively, placed him there. Again, BEFORE the 'roids.

GO BILLS!!!

That's the sad irony of Bonds' career. Even before the 'roids he was a sure bet 1st ballot HOFamer. And yes, he WAS one of the best ever. His career stats, offensively and defensively, placed him there. Again, BEFORE the 'roids.

GO BILLS!!!

Ask Jim Leyland and some Pirate players about his playoff play. If you claim he is one of the best ever, don't forget his immense petulance and selfishness and lifting his leg on others. All before the 'roids...

Just a thought. :devil:

Ask Jim Leyland and some Pirate players about his playoff play. If you claim he is one of the best ever, don't forget his immense petulance and selfishness and lifting his leg on others. All before the 'roids...

Just a thought. :devil:

Good points, all. And I agree he couldn't have been a bigger AHOLE. As for his post seasons, I agree with Leyland; he needed to come up bigger for sure.

But being an ahole and coming up short in the playoffs DOES NOT preclude entrance into the HOF. And being an HOFamer, in my estimation automatically places you in the category of "one of the best ever."

I'm not defending the guy and I've never been a fan of his, but his numbers, BEFORE ROIDS, speak for themselves. He didn't NEED to be the HR King to get in the HOF. Moot point now, though. He won't get a wiff after he's convicted or makes a plea deal.

GO BILLS!!!

You are right. The greatest QB of all time label is being saved for Trent Edwards.

I can't believe that someone decided to take a perfectly good thread about the Pats* cheating, and turn it into a forum for sarcastic comments about Edwards. Amazing.

I heard LT on ESPN today saying that every team watches so much tape on the opponent that they know what the plays being called are def. and off. by game day. He didn't think they had any advantage over anyone. He mentions you still have to execute def. and off. even if you know the play ahead of time.

of courses all teaqms know the plays

The difference is that the Cheaters knew WHEN the plays were used so they could exploit them immediately.

Wow - this is turning out exactly in alignment with my world view - the pro-Patriot* Democrats (booo!) will stonewall any investigation and the lone Republican (yea!) is pushing for the truth to be exposed. I love it.

Obviously God is on the side of Republicans and the Bills - all things that are good in this world.

I can't believe that someone decided to take a perfectly good thread about the Pats* cheating, and turn it into a forum for sarcastic comments about Edwards. Amazing.

... and you haven't done the same about your hatred of JP? :thumbsup:

Easy there tiger. The Pats might have helped themselves out a bit but Tom Brady is still the greatest QB to ever play the game.

I'm assuming that you are being sarcastic because it is impossible to make a rational judgment on any QB who was aware of 75% of the defensive plays being used.