I would like to know what was so bad about our TE pay last year

Robert Royal - 25 receptions 248 yards 3 TD's

Micheal Gaines- 25 receptions 219 yards 2 TD's

So we got 50 rec roughly 500 yards and 5 TD's out of our TE position last season. Sure blocking was an issue, but you cant really complain about the numbers they put up. Obviously we would all love to have this production coming from one player but I'll take it. Most of you will point out micheal gaines is now gone but we did get Fine. He is supposed to be the "best all-around tight end in the draft" according to the bills so lets see what happens.

Think about 1st and goal with Evans and Hardy out wide, Fine split out with Roscoe in the slot. Marshawn in the backfield. .....thats two big targets to worry about plus evans. Then you got roscoe runnin around underneath everything. So once you have them covered Lynch will have a easy time strollin in for the score. I know waaaay to early for dreaming but seriously I think will be a lot better then people think. Nobody is talking about lynch and now we have some people that can clear things out for him, hes gonna have a big year.

perhaps....anyway whats so bad with our tight end play? I realize its not the best buts really not that bad.

going by a few receiving stats from this thread before is misleading, if you want to go by those you have to see where they rank overall among other tight ends.

among tight ends Royal was 31st in yards, Gaines was 38th

in receptions Royal was 32nd, Gaines was 33rd

i know our offense did not really feature TEs being thrown too, because they were mostly blocking, or attempting to block, but if you just want to go by receiving stats, Im sorry i just cant feel good when they rank behind Visanthe Shiancoe and Sean McHugh

Okay, I'll bite:

They couldn't get much push in the running game, especially on short yardage and on goal line situations, they couldn't get down field on passing downs, when they did get downfield they couldn't catch the ball, they didn't open up the middle of the field by being a receiving threat to allow or demand coverage away from Lee Evans, they didn't open up the middle of the field by being a receiving threat to allow or demand coverage away from Roscoe or Josh Reed, they didn't open up the middle of the field by being a receiving threat to make teams move their seventh, eighth or ninth man out the box which would open up running lanes for Marshawn Lynch, they had a bad habit of catching four yard passes from Trent or JP and carrying them an additional four yards on 3rd and 9 or 10, they showed no speed which allowed safeties to creep up nearer to the LOS and stuff runs and make tackles before the first down markers, they dropped more passes than they should have, they didn't show up on crucial downs or drives and make plays that often get first downs, put points on the board and win games, they were inconsistent in their patterns and production, and they were, and are, sluggish, unathletic, slowish, inconsistent mediocre players and talents with little room to grow and who scare no one.

How's that?

Beyond they bad stats both Gaines and Royal had some key dropped passes that should have been caught. I can't forgive Royal for two unforgivable fumbles. I think one was in the Wash game and one was in a Jets game. My only problem with the draft is that I think they should have gone for a better TE. Maybe I am wrong and Fine is better than his draft ranking. My guess is that they did the best they could this year and next year a center and TE will be a priority.

Okay, I'll bite:

They couldn't get much push in the running game, especially on short yardage and on goal line situations, they couldn't get down field on passing downs, when they did get downfield they couldn't catch the ball, they didn't open up the middle of the field by being a receiving threat to allow or demand coverage away from Lee Evans, they didn't open up the middle of the field by being a receiving threat to allow or demand coverage away from Roscoe or Josh Reed, they didn't open up the middle of the field by being a receiving threat to make teams move their seventh, eighth or ninth man out the box which would open up running lanes for Marshawn Lynch, they had a bad habit of catching four yard passes from Trent or JP and carrying them an additional four yards on 3rd and 9 or 10, they showed no speed which allowed safeties to creep up nearer to the LOS and stuff runs and make tackles before the first down markers, they dropped more passes than they should have, they didn't show up on crucial downs or drives and make plays that often get first downs, put points on the board and win games, they were inconsistent in their patterns and production, and they were, and are, sluggish, unathletic, slowish, inconsistent mediocre players and talents with little room to grow and who scare no one.

How's that?

Works for me ...

Okay, I'll bite:

How's that?

so I pretty much highlighted everything that's spot on. With an exception on the drops, cause a lot of te's drop passes, so I was fair and cut them a break. :thumbsup:

So we got 50 rec roughly 500 yards and 5 TD's out of our TE position last season. Sure blocking was an issue, but you cant really complain about the numbers they put up.

Not sure what you mean about the blocking. Royal is an outstanding in-line blocker and a very aggressive physical player at the POA. The real problems were that Royal's hands are unreliable and that Gaines was a walking, talking brainfart.

As for a numbers, they're irrelevant. Aside from rare cases that's as much or more a team function than a reflection on an individual. What's more important is that none of them creates matchup problems for opponents or more space for the WR corps.

Beyond they bad stats both Gaines and Royal had some key dropped passes that should have been caught. I can't forgive Royal for two unforgivable fumbles. I think one was in the Wash game and one was in a Jets game. My only problem with the draft is that I think they should have gone for a better TE. Maybe I am wrong and Fine is better than his draft ranking. My guess is that they did the best they could this year and next year a center and TE will be a priority.

not if crowell walks - getting evans and him locked up long-term needs to be top priority right now. bills can't let their best young players walk and create new holes. when they do that it just means waiting on other positions of need to be filled year after year (ie TE)

Will there be any centers or Tight Ends worth taking with the 32ND PICK IN THE FIRST ROUND ?!!!!

Kelly nailed everything earlier, but my two cents for emphasis: They're both SLOWER than friggin molasses. That may be forgivable if either was a servicable TE blocker/H-back, but they were both below mediocre in that area as well. Royal's played basically full schedules the last 4 seasons (04-07) and caught a total of 74 balls. By comparison, a good tight end, Winslow, caught 71 last year. Gaines isn't worth mentioning, he's Detroit's problem now. I think going back to more traditional FB sets will take some pressure off the TE blocking this season, which is why I think they took a speed guy like Fine. Hopefully he can show he can block a little bit, and Royal can be relegated to early down spot-duty, which is where he belongs.

Okay, I'll bite:

How's that?

Thanks for saving me the keystrokes.

not if crowell walks - getting evans and him locked up long-term needs to be top priority right now. bills can't let their best young players walk and create new holes. when they do that it just means waiting on other positions of need to be filled year after year (ie TE)

that is the Bills way.

Surprised they didn't give away JP to create another hole at QB