James Hardy

I'll take the risk, on-field versus off-field, on a guy who is 6'5" and 220#, runs a 4.45 40-yard, has good hands, good agility, and caught 36 TD's in 36 games, and who has room to improve his game, versus a domestic disturbance, in light of a lousy upbringing. The kid has issues he needs to work through no doubt, but he's far from Charles Manson.

Looks like you covered all your bases. Out of that list, I can see #6 happening, since I think his knees will be the target of a lot of defenders, given his height. Next would be #5, since he'll be catching jump balls in the endzone and leaving his ribs exposed. What that has to do with his character problems is anyone's guess.

But I'll create a "Dwight Drane was right" thread if any one from #1-3 happens, which are character issues. The number of passes he catches has less to do with him than the design of the offense and is a tall order for most rookie WR's (only 3 rookie WR's eclipsed 40 catches last year, with 2 of them by 7-8 catches).

I think I'll hit more than 1. If he gets arrested or suspended or injured big time, the rest is moot anyway.

As for 40 catches, he was one of the top receivers taken, so I think 40 is a reasonable expectation. I think three things will hinder him on the field...limited to straight line speed, poor execution in general, injury risk. The character thing is a bonus. I'm getting a Reggie Rogers vibe comin' on.

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'll hit more than 1. If he gets arrested or suspended or injured big time, the rest is moot anyway.

Again, arrested and/or suspended relates to character. Injury can happen to anyone. More on that below.

As for 40 catches, he was one of the top receivers taken, so I think 40 is a reasonable expectation. I think three things will hinder him on the field...limited to straight line speed, poor execution in general, injury risk. The character thing is a bonus. I'm getting a Reggie Rogers vibe comin' on.

Limited to straight line speed? He was among the top WR's in agility tests, comparing favorably to guys who were half a foot shorter and 40# lighter. And he didn't have a problem with injuries in college. Why he should be more prone to them than any other rookie WR is curious. As for execution, yes he needs to run better routes. So do most of the rookies. He also needs to get stronger.

Again, arrested and/or suspended relates to character. Injury can happen to anyone. More on that below.

Limited to straight line speed? He was among the top WR's in agility tests, comparing favorably to guys who were half a foot shorter and 40# lighter. And he didn't have a problem with injuries in college. Why he should be more prone to them than any other rookie WR is curious. As for execution, yes he needs to run better routes. So do most of the rookies. He also needs to get stronger.

I don't know how much stronger he can get. His frame doesn't look like it can support much more, which is why I can see some problems setting up. I'll have to look at the combine numbers to see the agility drills. If he gets off of the line quick that is one thing, but a long legged guy like that who is not supported with muscle in the butt/groin/hip area is asking for problems and mediocrity. In reality, if the Bills push him to get mojor production out of him this year, he can be a ticky-tack injury nightmare. The guy just does not look like a stud athlete at WR. Maybe at shooting forward in basketball.....

I hope I am wrong on this one. I also feel that Marshawn Lynch is going to have a short career because of the bow-legged way he runs. I love the guy's style and attitude, but the high ankle sprain might be a regular for him. If the Bills are smart, they keep doing what they have been and use the daylights out of him figuring he has 4-6 productive years before he goes Eddie George on us. I think Marshawn would just as much hug you and give you his wallet before he pulled a gun on you though.

Rumor has it James Hardy's wanted level was 0 after this incident, so the cops weren't mad at all, adn thats why no charges were filed.

In contrast, one time I heard he went to an island that he hadn't unlocked yet, had 6 stars, and STILL managed to outrun the LCPD.

THATS the type of guy I want on my football team.

I don't know how much stronger he can get. His frame doesn't look like it can support much more, which is why I can see some problems setting up. I'll have to look at the combine numbers to see the agility drills. If he gets off of the line quick that is one thing, but a long legged guy like that who is not supported with muscle in the butt/groin/hip area is asking for problems and mediocrity. In reality, if the Bills push him to get mojor production out of him this year, he can be a ticky-tack injury nightmare. The guy just does not look like a stud athlete at WR. Maybe at shooting forward in basketball.....

You basing that on your extensive experience in training professional athletes/body dynamics or are you just talking out your ass? Guess which one everyone here's going to bet on?

I hope I am wrong on this one. I also feel that Marshawn Lynch is going to have a short career because of the bow-legged way he runs. I love the guy's style and attitude, but the high ankle sprain might be a regular for him. If the Bills are smart, they keep doing what they have been and use the daylights out of him figuring he has 4-6 productive years before he goes Eddie George on us. I think Marshawn would just as much hug you and give you his wallet before he pulled a gun on you though.

Wait, a professional football player who "only" has 5-7 years of productivity?

Rumor has it James Hardy's wanted level was 0 after this incident, so the cops weren't mad at all, adn thats why no charges were filed.

In contrast, one time I heard he went to an island that he hadn't unlocked yet, had 6 stars, and STILL managed to outrun the LCPD.

THATS the type of guy I want on my football team.

:thumbsup::w00t: :w00t: Yeah he hotwired a Turismo and made it all they way down to Vice City, but then he and Roscoe went out drinking and both picked up DUIs and got thrown in the drunk tank for the night!

so if Hardy does not get suspended for substance abuse, does not get arrested, has 40 catches, doesnt miss a game to broken ribs and/or knee problems, and catches every flight to an away game, are you going to give all of us a $1 to shove in some girls panties?

Also I am with AD on this one as well -- I don't even think stright-line speed would be that much of a need for a 2-receiver, especially a tall possession guy, nevertheless Hardy seems to have it based on his 40 times. Also, for some to question his "athleticism" is baffling to me. The kid played D-1 college basketball as well remember? I don't think its fair to compare a rookie to a proven pro player, but Antonio Gates the most recent guy I can think of that played significant basketball in college, and he is universally considered one of the best "athletes" in the game. Basketball players can run, jump, and possess excellent endurance; all that translates to the receiver position.

I am sick of all the hypothetical injury BS. If anyone wants to break into Hardy's house while he's asleep and measure his bone density and lean muscle mass to try to pinpoint the date and time he will suffer a major injury I say go ahead, have at it. Let us all know what u find out. In pro football ALL players of ALL positions and body-types suffer injuries ALL the time. Some players play hurt week in and week out for entire seasons. That's just the reality of the game, so get over it - eventually he will get hurt, just like Lynch will get hurt again, Lee will get hurt, Trent will get hurt. Last year some thought A. Peterson's production might be limited in the NFL given his history of injury. And you know what happened? He did get hurt - and missed 2 1/2 games - and still ran for 1350 yards.

Also I am with AD on this one as well -- I don't even think stright-line speed would be that much of a need for a 2-receiver, especially a tall possession guy, nevertheless Hardy seems to have it based on his 40 times. Also, for some to question his "athleticism" is baffling to me. The kid played D-1 college basketball as well remember? I don't think its fair to compare a rookie to a proven pro player, but Antonio Gates the most recent guy I can think of that played significant basketball in college, and he is universally considered one of the best "athletes" in the game. Basketball players can run, jump, and possess excellent endurance; all that translates to the receiver position.

I am sick of all the hypothetical injury BS. If anyone wants to break into Hardy's house while he's asleep and measure his bone density and lean muscle mass to try to pinpoint the date and time he will suffer a major injury I say go ahead, have at it. Let us all know what u find out. In pro football ALL players of ALL positions and body-types suffer injuries ALL the time. Some players play hurt week in and week out for entire seasons. That's just the reality of the game, so get over it - eventually he will get hurt, just like Lynch will get hurt again, Lee will get hurt, Trent will get hurt. Last year some thought A. Peterson's production might be limited in the NFL given his history of injury. And you know what happened? He did get hurt - and missed 2 1/2 games - and still ran for 1350 yards.

Well, that's clearly not a good idea.

I love how everyone cries "we don't have the facts". We do have the facts....Hardy didn't deny anything happened in his statement, he was playing the sorry card.

This is 3 weeks after there was a major debate about his character.

Listen, I still have fond memories of Biscuit even after he went backdoor, and of Bruce even though he took a nap on a 6 lane highway with the motor running, and of Jimbo even though he...well, who REALLY knows what he did. But the free pass that is being given to a guy who has been in town for 21 days and has a shady past is interesting to say the least. I would say that in the good ol' days the Sheriff would run this guy out of town, but I don't want to complicate such a simple idea of lack of facts with another analogy.

3 weeks people....3 weeks the guy can't keep his nose clean. He is either a thug and/or stupid. Before you get your old Peerless jerseys redone, you might want to hold on and see if the guy even takes the field opening day. I hear he has a 14 year old sister that's been "Mouthin' Off".

I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that his agent wrote his statement and that he was smart enough to know that you don't get the allegation off the front pages by repeating it in your apology thereby injecting the allegation into the mediasphere yet again. Even though it is couched in the form of a denial, the negative statement about your client gets repeated for yet another news cycle when your goal is to get everyone to forget the allegation as soon as possible.

Reality is jumbled these days cale. I'm all for fans of a team or the front office to come up with some rah-rah BS to explain off the situation. What I would like afterwards is the fans admit that it is rah-rah BS. People here are defending Hardy like they are some ambulance chasing lawyer. Do you think the Bills front office is 100% with all this. HELL NO! I think when Dick Jauron heard the news, even he went "Aw F#@K".

Let's try to translate this situation into another grimey area. Let's say everyone here is one big happy family, and the Buffalo Bills as a whole are our brother. Well it seems as if our Brother was interested in this girl and started dating her without anyone knowing. Things started to get a little serious over time, and our Brother thought this girl could be the one he's been waiting for. He proposes to her and she accepts.

Now here's the thing about the girl......she has been working as a stripper the last 4 years. She says she only dances on stage, and sometimes will do a lapdance if the guy looks presentable. Word got around though that she was doing favors in the back room. Now...she tells our brother that dancing is in the past and people were blowing a situation out of proportion so to speak. Our Brother accepts that as fact and puts the ring on her finger.

Three weeks ago our Brother brings the girl to a big family party to meet everyone. He tells the rest of his family about her history. Some are fully supportive and trust Brother's judgement, some don't feel very good about the situation but are willing to give everyone a second chance, and some think that Brother has lost his mind and is only asking for heartache.

Fast forward three weeks. Brother gets home early from work and walks into the bedroom where he sees his best friend pulling up his pants, and his fiance is in her bra and panties.

This is obviously an innocent event and it should be clear to everybody that the friend came over to drop off something he borrowed, the fiancee brought out a pitcher of Cherry Kool-Aid and offered the friend a drink, and she spilled the pitcher all over the two of them as she was pouring, so they had to get their clothes off so the stain wouldn't set in.

Now who here would believe that????

Man, that was awesome! Are you a screenwriter or something? :censored:

This post should be pinned...

I am going to go out on a limb here and assume that his agent wrote his statement and that he was smart enough to know that you don't get the allegation off the front pages by repeating it in your apology thereby injecting the allegation into the mediasphere yet again. Even though it is couched in the form of a denial, the negative statement about your client gets repeated for yet another news cycle when your goal is to get everyone to forget the allegation as soon as possible.

I'm getting pretty tired of this hand-wringing expectation and/or demand that for every bump in a person's life, an apology has to be offered up.

Were I Hardy, I'd say FU...it's a family matter. He doesn't work for the Bills yet...right?

I'm getting pretty tired of this hand-wringing expectation and/or demand that for every bump in a person's life, an apology has to be offered up.

Were I Hardy, I'd say FU...it's a family matter. He doesn't work for the Bills yet...right? They should keep their traps shut, too.

I concur, my good man.

Were I Hardy, I'd say FU...it's a family matter. He doesn't work for the Bills yet...right? They should keep their traps shut, too.

Which is basically I think what has happened.

He is going to be in negotiations with the team over his salary and first contract which will, I am sure, include some sort of morals clause. I wouldn't be surprised if his statement was approved by the Bills' front office before it went out. I do agree though that he doesn't really owe an apology to a bunch of strangers but a little PR never hurts. I am sure he hopes to get some endorsement money someday.

He is going to be in negotiations with the team over his salary and first contract which will, I am sure, include some sort of morals clause. I wouldn't be surprised if his statement was approved by the Bills' front office before it went out. I do agree though that he doesn't really owe an apology to a bunch of strangers but a little PR never hurts. I am sure he hopes to get some endorsement money someday.

AFAIK, such - like CIN had in their contracts - got shoved over the cliff with the new CBA. Dunno...