FB Felton Was To Have Been 5th Round Pick

FB Felton Was To Have Been 5th Round Pick

"Former Furman All-America fullback Jerome Felton was sitting at home with his family Sunday waiting patiently on his name to be called in the NFL Draft, when his phone rang after hours of silence. First, the Arizona Cardinals called and said they would take him with their next pick. Moments later the Buffalo Bills called and told him the same thing. However, as his phone rang a third time in a matter of minutes, his family saw that the Detroit Lions had taken him with their next selection, the 11th pick in the fifth round (146th overall)."

The reason this is significant is that Felton would have been taken before Owen Schmitt.

Felton would have been our RD5#147 and Schmitt went off at RD5#163 to the Seahawks.

We took Bowen there. We'll see how it works out in Week 1, right?

I'm wondering if something similar happened with Jordy Nelson and Martin Rucker - the Packers traded up to get Nelson, and the Browns (?) traded up to get Rucker - were they leaping above us in both cases? Would the Bills have taken Nelson over Hardy?

I'm wondering if something similar happened with Jordy Nelson and Martin Rucker - the Packers traded up to get Nelson, and the Browns (?) traded up to get Rucker - were they leaping above us in both cases? Would the Bills have taken Nelson over Hardy?

i dont know about Nelson but I think we were definitely after Rucker

I was laughing hysterically when "Whitey" Nelson was picked. I hate all white WR's :wallbash:

I actually had a sneaking suspician that our TE that we targeted was John Carlson......he went right before our pick I think.

i dont know about Nelson but I think we were definitely after Rucker

I disagree. The Bills brass have said repeatedly that as a TE, you've got to be both a blocker and a pass catcher for our system, and Rucker is only a receiving threat. I like the kid, but he couldn't block his head from smacking into his knee everytime he sits down to put his cleats on.

I disagree. The Bills brass have said repeatedly that as a TE, you've got to be both a blocker and a pass catcher for our system, and Rucker is only a receiving threat. I like the kid, but he couldn't block his head from smacking into his knee everytime he sits down to put his cleats on.

Right on. I also thought they would target a multifaceted guy, though I didn't think it would be Derek Fine. That being said, the kid has looked really good in the rookie OTAs. Buffalo would have done well to get a TE and Center earlier in the draft, but the way things turned out, we replenished our stock of players in all of our need areas: CB, WR, TE and STs. I'd also rather have Bowen, who is going to be a good STer and a solid backup option at LB, and Viti, who I believe is likely to start at FB and has the prototypical FB build and ability that the Bills are looking for in this offense.