how about that marty biron

Not bringing back Conklin is somewhat understandable - he wasn't going to get that many starts here unless Ryan went down. I think he could have been a very serviceable backup to Ryan, and Jim Corsi has a lot of good things to say about Conks before (and after) they traded for him. But with Thibault coming off a pretty good year for a backup (7-8-2, 2.83, .909, 1 SO) it wasn't surprising they thought they were getting an upgrade. Who knew he would struggle even than Ryan behind our porous defense?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marty is a good goalie that is playing great in the first two rounds. He wore down during the regular season and was actually benched for a brief time. I have to laugh at all these second guessers and Monday morning quarterbacks on this board. It's easy to sit down after the fact and determine whether or not it was a good decision. And at the time, it was either Marty or Ryan. One would have to go, an 8 year backup goalie or a young, hot shot goalie that had a really good college career and was playing well in the NHL. I wish Marty the best, but it's early to make that call in just 2 series of hockey. Let's see if he can stop the very high powered offense of the Pens, should they both make it into the conference finals.

My philosophy has always been the goalies really come into their own later in the their career. It's a rarity that a goalie comes into the league and dominates throughout his whole career, add the fact that goalies rely heavily on their defense and you can see why. Having been in the league now for 10 years, Marty is learning to trust his defense and "cheating" on plays in which he believes the defense will deny a pass or be in good position. This trust can only be established with a solid defense. Ryan Miller does not have trust in his defense at all, and why would he. He can't sit back and say, ok the D is going to shut down the right side, so I'll cheat a bit to the left to be ready for that last second pass. Buffalo's D was horrible this year and yet Miller gets all the blame. I don't know if Miller will ever be a great goalie, but I know there would be less concern with a solid defense in front of him.

Hmmmm. a hot shot who is sitting home. Biron is more than a career back up. how did he do against the sabres this year ?

Hmmmm. a hot shot who is sitting home. Biron is more than a career back up. how did he do against the sabres this year ?

look at other hot shot goalies sitting at home....Luongo is the biggest name for that....... and up until this past season marty really was a career backup. he is playing well and i wish him the best..... but i dont think we made a bad choice in who we kept...Philly has a betterD than we do and that hurt Ryan and helped Marty

Boy, Oh boy! I thought that Miller was the real deal and as time showed us all, he isn't. To watch Biron during these playoffs it is nice to see a netminder that will steal one for you. Listening to the national media using words like spectacular and amazing to describe Marty makes me wonder how much longer is Darcy going to keep his job. The butcher's bill is now Biron, Briere, Drury and Cambell, all of which made it to the second season. Now I know that alot of you will say it was our defence that let Miller down but I've reviewed the tapes (Tvo). A large part of the goals he let in were at the worst possible time and were easy stops to make, clear looks at the puck and shooter. The Bills in Toronto, and soon the Sabres somewhere else also. Buffalo what a mess!!!

We got rid of the better goalie.....OR our defense is horrible........ or somewhere inbetween.

Marty vs. Buffalo this year: 4 GP, 1-2-1, 4.11 ERA, .855 SV%.

For sake of reference - Ryan was 3-0-1 in 4 GP vs. Philly this year; 2.89 GAA and .895 SV %.

look at other hot shot goalies sitting at home....Luongo is the biggest name for that....... and up until this past season marty really was a career backup. he is playing well and i wish him the best..... but i dont think we made a bad choice in who we kept...Philly has a betterD than we do and that hurt Ryan and helped Marty

But Luongo is elite! I've heard of him! Does this mean the Canucks traded for the wrong guy two years ago? Maybe Calgary should have traded Kirpusoff for Biron. Or NJ should have swapped Brodeur for Biron. Hey, they are both Marty's, right?

Philly did a great job of reshaping their roster in one offseason. They cut their goals against by an unheard-of 70 goals in one year (06-07 297 GA; 07-08 227 GA.) That sure as hell didn't happen just by plugging in Biron - while he brought some stability to the position, the Flyers also upgraded their defense by getting rid of two horrible defensive defensemen - Pitkanen (-25 last year) and Andrew Picard (-19 LY) and brought in Kimo Timonen and Jason Smith for starters.

We got rid of the better goalie.....OR our defense is horrible........ or somewhere inbetween.

Our defense was horrible this year (Tallinder and Lydman were mere shadows of their previous-year's play and Kalinin was awful for the better part of the year) our offense struggled to score goals consistently (the goals-for stat is horribly misleading here - I've doen the research and we certainly padded our GF number by running up the score in about 15 games) and the coaching staff lost faith in Ryan's backup somewhere around February 1st and the staff felt it was better to roll out Miller night in and night out than put a game in Thibault's hands.

Miller struggled both as a result of the bad defense/inconsistent offense/bad backup-overuse factors and independently of those factors - he struggled early in the year when family issues impacted his focus (the death of his young cousin) and he struggled to handle the increased workload. He'll know better how to handle extra games next year, the FO will (hopefully) find a competent backup to take the heat off for 15-20 games, and the defense should be improved (addition by subtraction - Kalinin shouldn't be back next year, and Tallinder/Lydman couldn't play much worse.)

For sake of reference - Ryan was 3-0-1 in 4 GP vs. Philly this year; 2.89 GAA and .895 SV %.

But Luongo is elite! I've heard of him! Does this mean the Canucks traded for the wrong guy two years ago? Maybe Calgary should have traded Kirpusoff for Biron. Or NJ should have swapped Brodeur for Biron. Hey, they are both Marty's, right?

Philly did a great job of reshaping their roster in one offseason. They cut their goals against by an unheard-of 70 goals in one year (06-07 297 GA; 07-08 227 GA.) That sure as hell didn't happen just by plugging in Biron - while he brought some stability to the position, the Flyers also upgraded their defense by getting rid of two horrible defensive defensemen - Pitkanen (-25 last year) and Andrew Picard (-19 LY) and brought in Kimo Timonen and Jason Smith for starters.

Our defense was horrible this year (Tallinder and Lydman were mere shadows of their previous-year's play and Kalinin was awful for the better part of the year) our offense struggled to score goals consistently (the goals-for stat is horribly misleading here - I've doen the research and we certainly padded our GF number by running up the score in about 15 games) and the coaching staff lost faith in Ryan's backup somewhere around February 1st and the staff felt it was better to roll out Miller night in and night out than put a game in Thibault's hands.

Miller struggled both as a result of the bad defense/inconsistent offense/bad backup-overuse factors and independently of those factors - he struggled early in the year when family issues impacted his focus (the death of his young cousin) and he struggled to handle the increased workload. He'll know better how to handle extra games next year, the FO will (hopefully) find a competent backup to take the heat off for 15-20 games, and the defense should be improved (addition by subtraction - Kalinin shouldn't be back next year, and Tallinder/Lydman couldn't play much worse.)

well we have 2 bring in a few d starters then....the addition by subtraction requires plyers to take their place

I always liked Marty and I am very happy for him!

Even if he's a rat of a flyer. I !@#$ing hate RJ Umberger. We should have went and get Campbell just to knock him out. 8 goals in 5 games, :)

Even if he's a rat of a flyer. I !@#$ing hate RJ Umberger. We should have went and get Campbell just to knock him out. 8 goals in 5 games, :)

Yes... Even if he is a rat of a Flyer!

IMO, he was the heart and soul of the Sabres ( I would have said that to you last year before and after the trade)... Don't get me wrong, I like Miller... I really wish they would have found a way to keep and pay both! Just wasn't gonna happen, Marty wanted to start too... Good for him, he really deserves to be on the Cup... Notice, I said him... Not his squirrely little buddy Briere!

:blink:

well we have 2 bring in a few d starters then....the addition by subtraction requires plyers to take their place

We already did find someone to replace Soupy (Sekera) and IMO Weber could be up full-time to replace Dmitri. It's going to be hard to send Weber back to the AHL after the way he played down the stretch.

If Weber stays up and Tallinder/Lydman's play improves and gets back closer to what they showed in 06-07 the Sabres would be in much better shape. You would have a top-4 of Spacek-Sekera and Tallinder-Lydman. They also have Paetsch under contract (who is a 6/7 guy) , so they need to find 1-2 guys, preferably one PP QB and one stay-at-home gritty defenseman. They could also bring back Pratt and/or Numminen, and I think a healthy Teppo would really help settle things down a lot.

We already did find someone to replace Soupy (Sekera) and IMO Weber could be up full-time to replace Dmitri. It's going to be hard to send Weber back to the AHL after the way he played down the stretch.

If Weber stays up and Tallinder/Lydman's play improves and gets back closer to what they showed in 06-07 the Sabres would be in much better shape. You would have a top-4 of Spacek-Sekera and Tallinder-Lydman. They also have Paetsch under contract (who is a 6/7 guy) , so they need to find 1-2 guys, preferably one PP QB and one stay-at-home gritty defenseman. They could also bring back Pratt and/or Numminen, and I think a healthy Teppo would really help settle things down a lot.

The Sabres are already jerking around their two new guys Gerbe and Knenedy (a S. Buffalo kid too) so bad that they may opt to stay in college than sign with the Sabres! And some people want Golisano to buy the Bills???

PTR

The Sabres are already jerking around their two new guys Gerbe and Knenedy (a S. Buffalo kid too) so bad that they may opt to stay in college than sign with the Sabres! And some people want Golisano to buy the Bills???

PTR

Shhh, that's crazy talk. It's all coming from hysterical Bucky Eklund. You know, he's just a whiner who is mad that the Sabres won't return his calls. :lol:

you forgot to mention poor technique and miller wanted the heavier work load to show he a long haul kind of minder. not because Tbo sucked. :lol:

you forgot to mention poor technique and miller wanted the heavier work load to show he a long haul kind of minder. not because Tbo sucked. :lol:

Disagree somewhat about poor technique. His technique was fine last year and the year before when he racked up regular-season and playoff wins -- when he was able to get a few nights off and was able to work on his game in practice. Lindy and Ryan both admitted that as the season wore on Ryan was unable to put in the kind of practice time he feels he needs to maintain his game, simply because he was physically and mentally fatigued. So yes, the workload affected his technique at different times, and there were some games where he was overplaying initial shots or swimming in his crease to get back in position, but there were a lot of games where he was very good.

And it is true that Miller wanted the heavier workload, but I don't think he envisioned 33 straight starts after the break, with no nights off until the team was eliminated. He wanted to prove he could handle that kind of workload, and management wanted to see if he could handle it. So in that sense his overuse was a good thing - they learned that he is not one of the very rare physical freaks who can handle 75+ games and still have a lot left in the tank for the postseason. Not a big deal, because most no.1 goalies are 60-65 game players and need nights off. I was glad to hear Lindy say that he doesn't want to play Ryan 70+ games again if possible.

But Tbo's disappointing season cannot be understated. He sucked this year well before they hit the post-ASB stretch run, and the staff clearly lost faith in him. There were a few opportunities over the last few months where they could have started Tbo but elected not to, and it hurt Ryan and then team in the long run.

How about Brian Campbell?

Getting a penalty in the 4th OT which enabled DAL to eliminate them...

:(

Like I said on SS... You gotta feed your family Brian, WTF were you thinking.

Good you greedy bastard!

:lol:

But Marty? I wish him all the best :lol::D ... Too bad Danny and the Flyers come with that package!

:angry: