how about that marty biron

Boy, Oh boy! I thought that Miller was the real deal and as time showed us all, he isn't. To watch Biron during these playoffs it is nice to see a netminder that will steal one for you. Listening to the national media using words like spectacular and amazing to describe Marty makes me wonder how much longer is Darcy going to keep his job. The butcher's bill is now Biron, Briere, Drury and Cambell, all of which made it to the second season. Now I know that alot of you will say it was our defence that let Miller down but I've reviewed the tapes (Tvo). A large part of the goals he let in were at the worst possible time and were easy stops to make, clear looks at the puck and shooter. The Bills in Toronto, and soon the Sabres somewhere else also. Buffalo what a mess!!!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I know that alot of you will say it was our defence that let Miller down but I've reviewed the tapes (Tvo). A large part of the goals he let in were at the worst possible time and were easy stops to make, clear looks at the puck and shooter. The Bills in Toronto, and soon the Sabres somewhere else also. Buffalo what a mess!!!

so how is that job as a second guesser going? glad to see we have a professional goalie coach here to lay the whole blame on Miller, once again not noting the fact that he basically played almost 3 months without a day off because of a backup goalie who couldn't stop a beach ball shot at him..... go away with this noise, such an old story :D:thumbsup:

so how is that job as a second guesser going? glad to see we have a professional goalie coach here to lay the whole blame on Miller, once again not noting the fact that he basically played almost 3 months without a day off because of a backup goalie who couldn't stop a beach ball shot at him..... go away with this noise, such an old story :wallbash: :wallbash:
O.K. it makes me wonder why both Darcy and Lindy are still employed by the Sabres. T-bo couldn't stop a beach ball? As for second guessing, fact is fact, we have seen the best of Ryan Miller. You obviously can't recognize that there is problem when he goes down and stays down and the whole league knows to shoot high. Combine that with poor vision and bad decision making and you have a recipe for disaster. :wallbash:

so how is that job as a second guesser going? glad to see we have a professional goalie coach here to lay the whole blame on Miller, once again not noting the fact that he basically played almost 3 months without a day off because of a backup goalie who couldn't stop a beach ball shot at him..... go away with this noise, such an old story :wallbash: :wallbash:

Here are the very close stats. now who can't stop a beach ball!! :wallbash:

30 Ryan Miller 76 4474 2.64 36 27 10 3 2104 197 .906 0 1 6

35 Jocelyn Thibault 12 507 3.31 3 4 2 2 214 28 .869 0 0 0

miller 3 shut outs, T-bo 2 shut outs a bright guy like you can figure the rest of this "noise" out :wallbash:

miller 3 shut outs, T-bo 2 shut outs a bright guy like you can figure the rest of this "noise" out :wallbash:

mmmm pancakes

a backup who only plays 12 games and has a GAA well over 3 with 2 shutouts, point proven right there, even with 2 shutouts he was still horrible

Marty is a good goalie that is playing great in the first two rounds. He wore down during the regular season and was actually benched for a brief time. I have to laugh at all these second guessers and Monday morning quarterbacks on this board. It's easy to sit down after the fact and determine whether or not it was a good decision. And at the time, it was either Marty or Ryan. One would have to go, an 8 year backup goalie or a young, hot shot goalie that had a really good college career and was playing well in the NHL. I wish Marty the best, but it's early to make that call in just 2 series of hockey. Let's see if he can stop the very high powered offense of the Pens, should they both make it into the conference finals.

My philosophy has always been the goalies really come into their own later in the their career. It's a rarity that a goalie comes into the league and dominates throughout his whole career, add the fact that goalies rely heavily on their defense and you can see why. Having been in the league now for 10 years, Marty is learning to trust his defense and "cheating" on plays in which he believes the defense will deny a pass or be in good position. This trust can only be established with a solid defense. Ryan Miller does not have trust in his defense at all, and why would he. He can't sit back and say, ok the D is going to shut down the right side, so I'll cheat a bit to the left to be ready for that last second pass. Buffalo's D was horrible this year and yet Miller gets all the blame. I don't know if Miller will ever be a great goalie, but I know there would be less concern with a solid defense in front of him.

Marty wanted to be a starter. We couldn't keep both of them. We chose the better goalie. Flyer fans hated Marty up until game 7 of the last series.

flyer (and philly fans in general) hate everything and everyone by default.

doesnt mean he wasnt a great goalie.

i agree, we had 2 starters and had to move one. we moved marty because Miller had rooted himself in as the heart of this team. the problem is, im not sure this team showed much heart this year.

Speaking of second guessing, why the hell did Darcy let Conklin go?

You can't evaluate Miller without looking at the whole team. A lack of consistant offense led to more opportunites in our zone and closer games. A lack of consistant defense allowed more quality shots and rebounds on Miller. Over time a lack of confidence in his teammates and fatigue from playing so much caught up with Miller, which affected his mental sharpness. I'd still take Miller over Biron, who would have done worse if he was the Sabres starter. Beside the obvious need to improve in front of Miller, I'd like to see them bring in a veteran who could play 20-30 games, like Olaf Kolzig who appears to have had a parting of the ways with Washington. Look at Detroit, they have 2 starting goalies and don't have a problem playing either.

You can't evaluate Miller without looking at the whole team. A lack of consistant offense led to more opportunites in our zone and closer games. A lack of consistant defense allowed more quality shots and rebounds on Miller. Over time a lack of confidence in his teammates and fatigue from playing so much caught up with Miller, which affected his mental sharpness.

as critical as i can be about Miller, i will completely agree with this as well.

it would be nice to put just a LITTLE defense in front of him. just once.