He's been a bust, but he does play Tight End

Rams waived TE Dominique Byrd.

A third-round pick out of USC in 2006, Byrd could not get on the field behind Joe Klopfenstein, Randy McMichael, and Aaron Walker. He was also arrested in 2006 for striking a man in the face with a broken bottle at a bar, DUI in 2007, and was deactivated for the Rams' finale last season for missing a meeting. Byrd may not get another chance. Apr. 29 - 9:18 am et

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

Well, the dude hit someone in the face with a broken bottle in a bar fight, plus he has a DUI. I think the answer from OBD will be "No."

James Hardy beats up babies, and Chris Ellis had off the field incidents as well. So it's not that "cut and dry". He's a te who failed in another place. That seems to be right up Buffalo's alley of going after te's. Seeing how they're relying on Courtney "4 teams in one year" Anderson, and Teyo "I haven't been in the league in awhile" Johnson.

James Hardy beats up babies, and Chris Ellis had off the field incidents as well. So it's not that "cut and dry". He's a te who failed in another place. That seems to be right up Buffalo's alley of going after te's. Seeing how they're relying on Courtney "4 teams in one year" Anderson, and Teyo "I haven't been in the league in awhile" Johnson.

Yet you like fry any CIN player for less... :lol:

Wanted him out of that draft class... ironically him and Klopfenstein. Glad we didn't now.

Worth a shot though.

I wanted him too. But why are you glad we didn't get him?

He never saw the field with those guys ahead of him. I thought he was very good coming out of college.

Yet you like fry any CIN player for less... :D

Well if Hardy made a consistent effort, to commit domestic abuse, and Ellis repeatedly went out and got arrested for disorderly conduct, I'd have serious reservations. Cincy makes taking guys of questionable character a theme. They unsurprisingly, get arrested for similar offenses repeatedly. Until it becomes a trend, they should get the benefit of the doubt. Although the Hardy incident worries me. Hopefully it was just a very poor lapse in judgement, that will never be repeated. It's a shame really. Chris Henry for instance had Randy Moss esque talent. It's fine to take chances on talent, but that shouldn't be the whole basis for your draft strategy.

Well if Hardy made a consistent effort, to commit domestic abuse, and Ellis repeatedly went out and got arrested for disorderly conduct, I'd have serious reservations. Cincy makes taking guys of questionable character a theme. They unsurprisingly, get arrested for similar offenses repeatedly. Until it becomes a trend, they should get the benefit of the doubt. Although the Hardy incident worries me. Hopefully it was just a very poor lapse in judgement, that will never be repeated. It's a shame really. Chris Henry for instance had Randy Moss esque talent. It's fine to take chances on talent, but that shouldn't be the whole basis for your draft strategy.

Chris Henry...correct. The rest? Youngsters with $$$ out on the town and getting stopped. Like Friday night all across America, or thousands of fans leaving an NFL game. I guess Eric Steinbach is one of your targets. Pulled up to an Ohio River dock with a snootful.

But this tight end in this topic - he's reformed and ok...right?

I know everyone hates him, but the other day Colin Cowherd had a very good point about recent USC offensive star players. They seem to max out in college, they are treated like pro level stars while in college and seem to lose their edge. Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lendale White, Dominic Byrd, Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, probably others as well, all disappointments (so far). I think there is something to it.

Fred Davis is said to have a questionable work ethic and team commitment. He fell pretty far in the draft too.

I know everyone hates him, but the other day Colin Cowherd had a very good point about recent USC offensive star players. They seem to max out in college, they are treated like pro level stars while in college and seem to lose their edge.

I don't think it's an issue of them losing their edge, I think they were never really that good to begin with. For years that team has been making its name playing against PAC-10 defenders who will all be selling insurance the second they graduate. They've been a wildly over-rated program that never plays anybody, manned by a bunch of wildly over-rated players who never beat anybody.

Put them in the SEC and nobody would have ever even heard of half those guys because they'd have been playing on a 7-5 team.

I don't think it's an issue of them losing their edge, I think they were never really that good to begin with. For years that team has been making its name playing against PAC-10 defenders who will all be selling insurance the second they graduate. They've been a wildly over-rated program that never plays anybody, manned by a bunch of wildly over-rated players who never beat anybody.

Put them in the SEC and nobody would have ever even heard of half those guys because they'd have been playing on a 7-5 team.

Spoken like a true Pennsyltuckian... The quality of play out West is damn high, and to compare it to the SEC this past year is a joke... If Dixon wouldn't have gone down this year, U of O would have been national champs.

Well, the dude hit someone in the face with a broken bottle in a bar fight, plus he has a DUI. I think the answer from OBD will be "No."

I hope so.

That is a myth....

I hope not. I think they are investigating the problem kids very well and are convinced their problems are behind them. I hope.

All teams (except Cinncy) seem to be reviewing character issues alot closer these days because of the suspensions being given for players committing offences. Smaller teams don't want to invest big money in players that could be missed for significant time due to arrests and suspension. Bigger teams with more money take chances on these guys cause they can afford to toss around money and not have it work out.

As for the Bills, like others they are leary on guys with criminal records and potential for trouble, but will give chances to players that may have learned from mistakes (like Hardy).

When the Bills say they are looking for character players, they don't mean they are looking for choir boy squeaky clean players, thats the myth. What they are looking for is guys that come to play and give 150% every Sunday. They want to play football and give it their all on the field. Thats what they mean by players.

All teams (except Cinncy) seem to be reviewing character issues alot closer these days because of the suspensions being given for players committing offences. Smaller teams don't want to invest big money in players that could be missed for significant time due to arrests and suspension. Bigger teams with more money take chances on these guys cause they can afford to toss around money and not have it work out.

As for the Bills, like others they are leary on guys with criminal records and potential for trouble, but will give chances to players that may have learned from mistakes (like Hardy).

When the Bills say they are looking for character players, they don't mean they are looking for choir boy squeaky clean players, thats the myth. What they are looking for is guys that come to play and give 150% every Sunday. They want to play football and give it their all on the field. Thats what they mean by players.

Anyone know how TEs taken in the first two rounds in the last 3-4 years have worked out for their teams? Shockey, Winslow and Vernon Davis have not seems to me been that productive.

Wasn't Antonio Gates a FA signing?

Charles

Anyone know how TEs taken in the first two rounds in the last 3-4 years have worked out for their teams? Shockey, Winslow and Vernon Davis have not seems to me been that productive.

Wasn't Antonio Gates a FA signing?

Charles

Shockey and Vernon Davis haven't really produced, but Winslow has been a monster.

The past 2 years he's got 171 catches for 1981 yards (only Tony Gonzalez has more catches, it's one more catch).

It's scary to think what KW2 could have been if he hadn't pulled his Evil Knievel impersonation...